Wayne to Souths.

Nrl 360 reporting that south's are trying to get Wayne locked up asap. Probably not coming to parra unfortunately đŸ€ŠđŸ»â€â™‚ïžÂ 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

★
★
★
★
★
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Tad if Wayne did happen to make it here how important do you see his sidekick Dr Jauncey is in the scheme of things.You've always been on the mental input side to improve performance more so than anyone else on 1EE.

• Coryn, I'd say TAD, NOS and me are about equal in our stressing on the importance of the mental side of footy. It seems a no-brainer to me.

I think most successful coaches and high performing elite athletes would also see the mental side as critical. It's the foundation of everything - from habit patterns (a large gamit dealing with everything that happens off field, on field, in training, personal life etc) to dealing with life, failures and success.

It's what's behind the hands on the steering wheel of life.

• Coryn  I think mental composure and disciplines are a big deal mate. Meditation helps you to focus on any task much better.A quiet mind is not distracted easily. Mental  noise is disruptive and will put you off any task you Psychology is complex and difficult to change any behaviour unless a person really wants to change. If the person is set in his ways and thinks he doesn't need it nothing will change his behaviour. In a team sport emotions and disciplines are contagious. If the predominant mood is we are stuffed you will play like that. You only have to look at our performances and see how we collapsed. Last year's Grand final was the best example of team discipline I have seen from both sides. Penrith managed to hold on thanks to Cleary Compare that with how we played our last grand final. We never looked switched on. Body language says a lot about mental attitude. It can be great in the early stages of a game but can fall down quickly when the collective mood drops. Many say that players need to be blasted by coaches and fan's when stuff ups are made by a player. Basic psychology says that only demoralises players and confidence goes backwards along with attitude.

Many including myself have been disappointed and critical of our whole management and coach which is a natural emotional outlet. It is a down down way to go. We may change all levels of management with another lot with much the same results.

It can also be a good opportunity to assess a different strategy. Not to make the top eight but to win the trophy. It can be done. You don't need a bunch of X factor players to do that. Broncos probably have a heap of them and Panthers did it with mental persistence and simply wore the Broncos down.They seem to do that all the time even if they lose key players.

I did mention in an earlier blog that I would engage DR Jauncey with selecting a coach who would be more aware of basic psychological principles around motivation, with attitude to skills development, emotional control and genuine team bonding with working as a team. Some players may want to be the absolute best in what they do and can work on themselves to get there with the support of someone who has the professional sensitivity to read the players involved.

I am not sure Bennett on his own can do all of that 

My long winded opinion. HOE had some great inputs as well which are worth considering.NOS who is a great contributer should also be taken seriously.

• Not long winded concise and to the point if you ask me both your and NoS's responses.

We need a like button SuperEel 22 

• Coryn I also like your tactical inputs . Your playing experience comes through very wellin many of your posts.Your regular inputs about tapping into the Islander footy community for players is something I wish we would look into as well. Cheers

• Great post, Tad. Good to see you back.

Hope you've been well?

As HOE said, it's frustratingly an absolute no-brainer.

When the most successful clubs, coaches & players across multiple sports advocate so highly for sports psychology, who are the Eels to argue? The Eels of all clubs who are incapable of remaining focused for four / five weeks without falling into conscious or subconscious negative habits? 

It's arrogance or ignorance, or both.

We are on the precipice right now & the next few months could dictate our next 10-12 years.

There is an opportunity right now, the timing is right.

This once great club who has held such an aura in the past has become a financially stable shell, too afraid of failure to realise its likely that fear causing it.

A Jauncy or similar won't walk into this club and solve its issues, we all know that, it's simply another vital tool & as you & HOE mentioned, a tool not restricted to professional sport. 

As many have mentioned we are likely needing changes across multiple disciplines, Bennett, Jauncy, are unlikely to be our saviour is isolation, but one step, can snowball into a sprint pretty quickly & Bennett has the experience to be a catalyst for systematic change.

If the Parramatta Eels have a genuine chance of landing Bennett, the most experienced premiership coach of all time, who in turn brings Dr Jauncy, along with recruitment / retention power, and they don't jump, it could go down as the biggest failure of the past two decades & that's saying something.

No more cutting corners, no more excuses, no more time wasted, no stone should be left unturned.

Forget breaking the premeriship draught, work tirelessly on the processes, the systems, habits, professionalism, pathways, culture, invest in the best professionals money can buy to achieve it, and success will look after itself. 

• Unfortunately NOS to get to the elite level of winning Premiership after Premiership will take time to develop a consistent winning culture. You need the right people understanding the process and talents required to get up-to-date with behavioural science. 100% right this is a gold opportunity and the right time to start that process. Getting younger players in junior grades developing those disciplines will attract the best juniors going around when they see successful pathways. You only have to look at how some kids living in some Buddhist cultures prepare with highly disciplined personal development in self defence 

An art form based on love and respect for your competitors and lightyears ahead on competitive abilities. A good way to live your life in an aggressive dog eat dog world 

• This is the issue here we start at the top and don't worry to much about the base.If we build the base the more we get out the top.

• Coryn I am not a Buddhist but I like their Philosophies in life and how they can be adapted to our Western consciousness. Their focus on self-discipline and aspirations is second to none. You can focus totally on any activity in a calm well-judged manner. Emotion, anger, frustration, and seeking revenge mindsets absorb a lot of unnecessary self-defeating energy

That energy can be best used elsewhere. I mentioned loving and respecting your competitor. That is not part of our consciousness and the reason for energy flows being easily disrupted  and inconsistencies throughout all games. How do you get top-heavy management to make any changes within an organisation when people aspiring to these positions usually are ego-driven for self-interest? I think getting the type of leadership is a big issue and luck may be a factor.I think we are stuck in a particular mindset where these types of issues are self-repeating.

• Tad, fantastic post and good to see you posting again, mate. The three of us with NOS share some affinity with Buddhism. It's multilayered, which can trick the unsuspecting. It has say 3 main stages or schools of evolution.

1. Theravada: no-one can be a Buddha. It's all about morality codes, discipline and meditation (e.g.Vipassana). It's the Buddhist version of Catholicism. It's transcendental. Me here, God-Buddhas external to me. Vietnam is an example of where it's popular. The higher schools kind of look at it as "training wheels" period.
                2. Mahayana. The Middle Way. All sentient beings are Buddhas by their true nature. With Wisdom and Compassion. They just don't know it. Here, we get a departure from the transcendental and traditional religious idea of the external God or deity; towards immanence. They understand the nuances of moral dilemmas whereas the the Theravadians don't so much. It's more black and white for Theravadians. Here, we start to get into deeper concepts such as waves and the ocean and the cloud and the sky analogies - of the apparent self (a wave) versus true nature (ocean).
                3. Tantric Buddhism. Be the Buddha now. Do it now. Be your true nature now. Right now. This is about a direct "lightning bolt" action. Practice, practice, practice. Action, action, action. All the various tantric schools are based on one's inherent mind-nature (refer to the pig, Rooster, and snake in the centre of the Buddhist Wheel of Life). There are the plane-jumping partygoers' school, the hardcore tough-arse no backward steps ones, and then there are the analytical knowledge-seekers schools. With these schools, you get lots of mantras (e.g. my favorite being the classic "Om padme mani hum") and ideas like "Kill the Buddha" etc which means: Just be. Do. Don't think about enlightenment or being the Buddha. Be. Do. Now.

Like you Tad, Buddhism has fascinated me for most of my adult life. That's kind of a summary of what I learned about it over 30 years or so including some hard core Vipassana meditation retreats up at Blackheath, Blue Mountains area.

The Dalai Lama you could say oversees them all, but has an intimate affinity with the Middle-Way and Tantric schools (esp the analytical Tantric schools), which is why you won't see him jump out of planes and drink whereas other Tantric schools and their gurus do.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BringBackSemi replied to Yeah Man's discussion How Arthur never lost the playing group
"They used to say about the Australian Cricket Team, that the only thing that was harder than getting into it, was being dropped out of it.
BA's selections this year are head scratchers, particularly Hodgson last year, Lussick and Lane this year.
Why
"
2 minutes ago
jamie replied to Archie's discussion Bets on ladies and gents.
"I like 👍 "
12 minutes ago
iamnot replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion BA praises Gutho
"HKF, I've been saying for years Gutherson shouldn't have been the captain. He looks completely lost in post match press conferences, has trouble handling referees at times. 
He is a great effort player sure, but no captain. Similar to Hindmarsh when
"
21 minutes ago
Adam Magrath replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion BA praises Gutho
"No you aren't on your own "
26 minutes ago
More