https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/sports-confidential-turmoil-at-wests-tigers-claims-key-scalp/news-story/eb7d74b9cecd912d0a0ba56533c16125

Penrith and Canberra are locked in a battle to prise boom half Ethan Sanders out of Parramatta.

Sanders is regarded as one of the best young playmakers in the game and Sport Confidential understands that he has already spoken to the Panthers and Raiders as they look to add youth and quality to their playmaking ranks.

The Eels are confident they can keep Sanders, although his path to first grade is blocked by a pair of big names on lucrative long-term deals.

Dylan Brown, currently sidelined under the game’s no-fault stand down policy, recently signed a contract that could result in him staying at Parramatta until the end of 2031.

The battle for Eels rookie Ethan Sanders is heating up, with Penrith and Canberra try to prise him out of Parramatta. Picture: NRL Imagery.

Moses also signed a multimillion-dollar extension earlier this year which could see him remain at the club until the end of 2027.

Sanders, named player of the match in the SG Ball final earlier this year, has already been likened to Cooper Cronk and rival clubs are circling with intent.

Penrith’s interest is noteworthy. The club’s current half Nathan Cleary is locked up for the long-term but his halves partner Jarome Luai has one year remaining on his contract and is likely to attract significant interest from elsewhere.

The Panthers’ cap is tight and they may not be able to match any offers. It makes sense to have a contingency plan in place and Sanders may be that man.

As for the Raiders, they are on the lookout for a half capable of filling the Jack Wighton void and forming a combination with Jamal Fogarty.

Sport Confidential understands they have also held talks about former Sydney Roosters half Lachlan Lam, but Sanders shapes as an investment in the future.

Parramatta are well aware of the interest and are doing their best to show Sanders he has a future at the club.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• we set the requirements right. Similar to what the warriors did with walsh

• If he is that good why was JA ahead of him (apart from nepotism)?

• JA is about 3 years older????

• Arthur is two years older than Sanders, with a lot more physical maturity. Two years is a long time at that age. Jake handled the physicality well from day one. His problem isn't lack of maturity or toughness.

• If he is smart, he'll know opportunities will present themselves at the eels..

• Did sanders play for the rhinos ? If not, I don't think we're much of a chance of seeing him re signed here

• Wheather you like it or not DB JA and now Sanders the pipeline hopefully is starting to show signs.Even if the latter goes it's a positive that other clubs are knocking on the door for the talent being produced here.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Truth hurts mate.

Half the flogs talking about what is and what isn't talent watch highlights and if they do watch games they don't know what there looking at anyway 😂 

• How can anyone mention Jake arthur and talent in the same sentence?  

• knackers, playin NRL would suggest theres some talent there.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
1 hour ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
6 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
7 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
7 hours ago
More…