Raiders no halfback getting pumped

First game without fogarty and they are getting pumped at home.

A halfback with a long kicking game is so important to where u start to defend a set after a kick. Also, impacts your 5th tackle play.  They have just lost 40-0 at home.

look what the roosters did to dragons with walker back.

this is not a defend BA blog, he still should be sacked imo. However, we are a different team with Moses in the team. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Brown had a great game vs manly the problem is when he makes a break or half break he has zero support in his inside shoulder. If that was the storm he sets up 3 tries through busts. 

I can't for the life of me work out why we don't have runners in support of Brown. He's easily our best tackle buster. 

• I have noticed this as well. Against Tigers he made several half breaks without any support players lurking in the area waiting for an offload.

This is probably where old man Gutho would be if his legs allowed him. Surely they can train someone else to trail him up in attack.

• Mick if you can't understand why we don't  have runners in support of DB then contact the coach. It's his job to understand that. Best of luck. 

• Because we lack speed.

If we had fast backs they would be following Brown and scoring try's at will.

• Wouldn't it as a senior player be his task to communicate to the bludgers around him to follow him ?  

That's what a playmakers role is .  There's no argument Brown has talent but the next level is more then just being an individual going out there and playing like a kid that's whole purpose or to get the Maccas man of the match free sliced apples and water pop top . That's what he reminds me of , the best kid in Under 8's that everyone knows is the best player in the team .  Look at the guys like Reynolds and Co , or even Munster . Browns useless if he can't go that next step in his game . 

• Same goes for Hopgood, he punches through the line and is ready to offload looking for support and there is no one. So frustrating. This is where we are missing a zippy fullback who is on the ball at all times.

• Yep brown is a great running/defensive 6. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't use the word 'great' loosely either. He certainly is that. But it's not enough when his halfback is out.

On another note, both he and Lane are much more effective when Moses is playing because it allows them to focus on and show off the attacking weaponary they possess when combined on that left edge together.

Moses being out affects our whole team massively because of the make of our squad and the types of players we have. Sadly Moses coming back isn't going to be some instant fix either. He is good but I suspect it will take a couple of weeks even when he comes back for us to look any good.

• You can’t really compare the Broncs & Panthers with the Raiders & Eels based solely on a (missing) halfback.

Both those teams had the foresight to have a genuine halfback on their books. 

A natural organiser, who trains that position in those systems, who steps in & causes the least disruption, & allows their genuine 5/8th to play their normal & natural game, at 5/8th. 

The Panthers also have the best coached systems of our generation, you could probably throw any player in at halfback & they will still compete & make it a contest.

The Broncs have strike all over the ground, oppositions can’t solely concentrate on Ezra - add Walsh to any team, and it nullifies a missing halfback to some degree.

Both the Eels & Raiders used two 5/8ths instead of genuine halfbacks, disrupting both sides of the field in attack & creating responsibilities those 5/8ths simply couldn’t handle at this stage. 

Despite this, Dylan did create opportunities without his halfback (as others mentioned), he created about 5/6 against the Tigers and no support on any of them which cost us the game - that falls on coaching. 

Against Manly, just a few weeks later, same deal - that falls on coaching, and is unforgivable to see it twice.

Both Walsh & Edwards are elite support players, and Walsh can turn those half chances into a try in a matter of seconds. If only DB had him, instead of Gutho hopping on one leg 20m behind.

Regardless, Hopgood & Dylan should never run unsupported, it should be a non-negotiable.

DB is one of a few players in our team who runs hard enough to break tackles, and his defence is literally all effort, hunger & heart (competitiveness). 

Watch the 10mins where Penisini was sin binned again.

On two occasions DB covers two players defensively, and likely saves two tries, but definitely one.

He covered the inside attacker, slid to get to Koula & get him to the ground, but his second effort to then get back up & beat Koula (a much quicker player) & tackle him again is textbook for competitiveness, hunger & heart.

That moment should be played in the video session over & over because if we had 17 players winning those one on one battles & showing that level of hunger, we’d not be in this hole to begin with.
        • I think the player the panthers would instantly struggle without is actually Edwards not Cleary. This would be exactly why Cleary Snr went and got Daine Laurie. Good coaches have the foresight. It's probably also why he picks him on the bench. This was probably discussed to convince him to sign. Don't get me wrong there were plenty of rumours over the offseason regarding Arthur (and the club generally) chasing outside backs (also having the foresight) that was our problem. Difference is Cleary (and the panthers) got their man to fix the potential problem whilst it took our coach (and club) until part way through the season to get their man (Lomax). So much luck goes into success.

• Don't disagree on Edwards importance to the Panthers, hence why the Panthers chose to keep him over Stephen Crighton who was earmarked as their long-term fullback originally, but just find the Panthers & Eels impossible to compare - with or without their halfback.

There is just no comparison between their professionalism, systems, & defence, and all are more important than a halfback (playing or missing) in isolation - just my opinion.

Then the recruitment you mention. Perhaps we were unlucky here to not fix gaping 2023 holes in our outside backs until 2025 (and we still need more), but with how our club has operated with negotiating, its hard to know whether it was luck or accounting that was to blame?

Regardless, if 5/8ths could simply step into halfback roles & win you games, then halfbacks wouldnt be so well paid & the Eels wouldnt be the only club (outside the Raiders) who chose this option while more successful teams did the opposite.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Adam Magrath replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Speed is King
"Wayne has a knack for sorting out rosters, either moving players on that offer little future value or bringing in young talent and making it prosper. I've been saying for two years at least we should have got Xavier Savage for his speed.
What are…"
30 seconds ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Speed is King
"Now I get this and what the game is now it's entertainment more so than sport.Basically making the game look as attractive as possible to get fans to part with there hard earned.
The kicker here is defense has always been a key part to winning…"
1 hour ago
Snottie Pimpin posted a discussion
Probably a nonsense blog for some, but i wonder about what slice of the fan pie we will have and where this club will be in 10 years. Despite our huge advantages of where we are based and a state of the art stadium, Penriths success means we have…
1 hour ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Lomax says he has no issue playing on the wing.
"RCG Lane Joe O take your choice.
Its dependent on who the coach is and how they want to play.
We need to find some leg speed and some some more athleticism on the edge.
RCG is the first domino."
2 hours ago
More…