‘It’s embarrassing’: Eels star breaks silence after fine doubled for ‘sexual touching’ conviction

Brown 'embarrassed' by his mistakes | 01:32
Martin Gabor from Fox Sports
July 11th, 2023 6:15 pm
A remorseful Dylan Brown says he’s “embarrassed” and will learn from an incident at a Double Bay pub last month that saw him suspended seven matches and fined by both the NRL and the Eels.

The Parramatta five-eighth pleaded guilty to two counts of sexually touching a woman without consent at the Golden Sheaf Hotel which saw Brown initially banned from playing under the NRL’s no-fault stand-down policy.

That ban was lifted last week but the NRL then hit him with a seven game suspension, with Brown set to return in Round 23.

He was also fined $40,000 by the NRL, with half of that suspended, with the Eels imposing further sanctions on Tuesday.

That includes a $20,000 fine which will be donated to charity, as well as a comprehensive alcohol management plan, a presentation to the club’s juniors and ongoing professional counselling.

“I’m not asking for forgiveness because my actions weren’t good enough,” he told media on Tuesday afternoon.

“I’m trying to move on but obviously that’s hard, especially when you’re not playing. That’s probably the worst part is not being able to put up for my team. That’s who I feel I’ve let down the most (as well) as fans, the game and a lot of people.

“I’ve let myself down, but that’s something you can deal with internally. When you’re letting other people down, that’s where it starts to affect you.”

Brown got emotional and had to pause the press conference for a few moments when he started to talk about the effect this has had on his family. Picture; Adam Yip
Brown got emotional and had to pause the press conference for a few moments when he started to talk about the effect this has had on his family. Picture; Adam Yip
Source: News Corp Australia
Brown got emotional when talking about his mother and sister, explaining how upset he’d be if he found out that something bad like this had happened to them.

“That’s probably the most upsetting part,” he said.

“When it’s something you’ve done to yourself, it’s fine. But when it involves someone else, especially a female, it’s tough because I’ve got a mum and a sister.

“That’s why I was getting emotional before because I think about those people. If something happens to them then I wouldn’t be happy.

“They support me. I’ve got a lot of beautiful women around me in my family and friends, so when it was time to discuss, it was obviously a slap around the head, but they also understand who I am and that doesn’t uphold who I am as a person.

“I’m a role model in a way to a lot of people so that’s probably the worst part. I’m a role model to a lot of people, including my family. I’ve let them down. It’s not just me, it’s a lot of other people getting affected by this.”

There were calls for the 23-year-old to miss the rest of the season for what he did, and Brown says he would have copped whatever punishment came his way.

“I’m happy that she (the victim) went and complained because I shouldn’t be able to get away with things like that,” he said.

“It’s a good kick up the arse for me and I’ve definitely thought about that every single day. It’s embarrassing.

“It (the punishment) is fair.

“I was ready to take whatever. I told everyone that I was willing to accept whatever penalty came my way, whether it be money or games.

“Now I’ve got to bite the bullet and understand that this is what’s going to happen. If I act up outside of footy then this is what I get.

“It’s a legal term. It’s not me doing a crusher tackle on the field – it’s not small like that. It’s something off the field that has affected a female, which you never intend to do, especially when you’re out.

“It’s embarrassing and I’m willing to take whatever.”

Brown reportedly told the court that he had consumed between 15 and 20 drinks that night before the incident, which is why he won’t be having any alcohol until he returns.

“Alcohol was a thing on the night, not that I’m making that an excuse,” he said.

“I shouldn’t be able to allow myself to get to that point and put myself in a position where I can make those bad decisions. Keeping away from alcohol is a temporary thing for me.

“There’s a plan that the club is helping me with. They understand that even though (drinking) is not a huge problem, it’s allowing myself into those positions where I can make bad decisions.

“For now, I’ve decided to stop drinking until I get back on the field and prove to myself that I deserve everyone’s acceptance.”

Brown has been training with the Eels while out suspended. Picture; Adam Yip
Source: News Corp Australia
Brown’s teammates have supported him over the past few weeks, with the five-eighth allowed to train with the club while he was stood down.

But he knows this is a line in the sand moment in his career, with the club well within its rights to sack him if he gets in trouble again.

“It’s a massive turning point,” he said.

“There are two ways I can react to this. I can use it as an excuse to go and play bad, or I can make better decisions on and off the field. It’s up to me. I’m going to put a line in the sand, step through and hopefully be a better person.

“It’s not a club thing, it’s not a last chance thing. It’s just me. You don’t want to be doing that regardless of what happens and the consequences of not playing.

“It’s up to me and representing myself and my family. I don’t want anything like that to happen again, whether that’s alcohol or female related. I want to be a player that people can look up to, and that’s on and off the field.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't mind Wontons Bobby, so it doesn't surprise me I am a couple short LOL

I tell you how stupid Chief is, he has just had released from the local asylum (i think he is the Chief Inmate) his latest group of alter egos.....this last one is named Chow and Chow's favourite TV Show is the Brady Bunch, we have another nutter on here called Hernun and his favourite show is the Brady Bunch.

So Chiefy save a lot of your madness and just start referring to them as the Brady Bunch, we will all understand better that way.

• AA is run by Alcoholics who have overcome alcoholism and understand the issues better than anyone.I accept that some groups like religious one's can get involved.Most reputable rehab places eg Dept Health will refer their patients to AA Education alone is not enough.What works is 24 hr available support  from someone who has gone through all the temptations 

• I'm in the pub game. If ever there is an issue of this type we hand over all footage from all camera's at the venue. The authorities go through every minute and count every single drink purchased (or purchased for) and consumed by the accused. They do that to gauge intoxication levels and make sure the venue is meeting their RSA obligations.

• The worst thing he could have done was remain silent he's put himself out there accepted his actions were unacceptable time to give the 22 yr old a break and move on.He can't take what he did back he has owned his actions paid the fine taken the 7 game suspension without any retort and has continued conditions to remedy the ill he caused.

What else can he do exactly.

Its just time to move on if it happens again revisit and restart the stone throwing.

• I love the way Wiz is so critical of Dyllan's morals and transgressions.....then he tells everyone how he drugged women, got drunk and consumed drugs.....I have read some hippocritical shit on here but that just about takes the cake! Hey and that is not asking his wife in the cubicle next to him for a 50 because this bird will give me a headjob for that.

Sorry Wiz you are entitled to do what you want, but whilst you may say that I am judging you, lets agree you have no right to judge Dyllan.

• It's much like when alot watch games and judge talent totally focused or chose to watch a certain aspect while missing everything else.

Its no different here.

Just like the Gurr discussion last week he had such a big take on what Parra looks like now but it barely rates a mention but hey it is what it is.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"The best thing for blaize and any other talented junior in our system would have been to leave two years ago. If you didn't play for the rousehill rhinos you ain't getting developed under BA."
4 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"If you were in their shoes you would do the same thing. 
Utoikamanu was on a development contract with us, probably around the $100-120k mark, Tigers paid $350k. Same with Sanders, he has no future here until Moses and/or Brown leave, and that's not…"
4 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"Yep totally "
4 minutes ago
Jason replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"Opportunity to show other clubs what he can do as well on our dime
Unappreciative little shit
Can't wait to see Payne Hass run at him"
6 minutes ago
More…