Eels table $500k offer: Report

Parramatta is prepared to pay Jarryd Hayne between $500k and $600k as part of a single-year offer that will force the former Eel to prove his worth on the field, according to a report in The Australian this morning.

The Australian's Nick Tabakoff reported that Hayne's management is hopeful of stitching together a deal that would see the Titans contribute between $300k and $400k. That would still represent a significant hair cut for Hayne, who has been reported to be earning $1.2m per year with the Gold Coast.

At this stage, the Titans are remaining defiant.  The Gold Coast Bulletin quoted chief executive Graham Annesley as saying: "“There’s no reason to (seek clarification), he’s contracted".

Hayne also attempted to hose down the rumours tweeting:"I have NOT instructed my manager to SPEAK to teams in Sydney #slownewsday". 

Still, the prospect of starting next season with a disgruntled, or even a non-motivated Hayne, would not be attractive for the Titans, who will try to build a squad around their million-dollar-per-year young gun half Ash Taylor.  The Gold Coast Bulletin quoted a Titans source as saying: "“If Jarryd does want to move on it’ll free up some money to do more (in the player market)". A poll on the same site, asking if Hayne should stay or go, saw nearly 80 per cent of fans vote to send Hayne packing.

The Australian's Brent Read noted that Hayne's future could lay in the hands of the consortium's bidding to take over the Gold Coast Titans. It also remains to be seen whether the NRL would rubber-stamp a deal where Hayne is paid under market-value.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would pay no more then $500k no more
  • I don't have issue with a 1 year contract. The biggest test will be if the nrl scrutinise the deal and Haynes market value. As there is no interest elsewhere and on his current form I can't see the nrl getting away with nominating a huge value on him but it is parra we are talking about.
    Nate Myles was current SOO player when moved to Melbourne on small deal and no value was put on him. Other examples are James Roberts was the centre of year at time signing at Brisbane on small contract due to previous issues elsewhere market value not scrutinised. Ben Barba and Anthony Milford were also not signed for market value as they moved for personal reasons. Hopefully Bernie can do deal with hayne and the nrl using these precedents.

As for signing him, Hayne now has a child and his priorities and attitude would change a lot with the added responsibility that brings. Lot of people, especially footballers with money, girls and all the attention thrown at them at young age can take longer to mature and appreciate their talent and luck in life. Hayne moved to goldie for his then pregnant girlfriend and never had his heart in it which showed on the field. I expect see much improved version should he return closer to family, friends and hillsong head office.
    As seen with many players when their off field life improves so does their attitude and performance on the field.
    The added bonus now is we have strike weapons across field and skillful halves, so hopefully won't fall into trap of relying on hayne to win the game for us. This should also relieve some of pressure on him.
    • Well said fake but he still worries me with his lazy attitude i hope so im not a big fan of hayne coming back to parra but it could be just what he neeeds to bring back his form , its a hard one
    • Market value..? Easts only paid $1 mill reportedly for Cronk
  • I don't see why GC would pay any freight on Hayne.
    But I can see a player swap happening
    • I can't see a swap happening. We aren't that desperate to have him.
    • Given how they got rid of the coach, I can see them wanting to pay to get rid of Hayne also
    • The GC might be happy to pay $2-300k instead of $1.2m.
  • Would make a great signing for the club. A player of his ability does not all of a sudden play bad. I am sure when he comes home, everyone will love him again.
  • I like the bit about the NRL not letting him sign on for less than market value.It's Ok for Broncos but not for us.
    value.it - This website is for sale! - Value Resources and Information.
    This website is for sale! value.it is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what y…
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

CarloEEL2 replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Storm vs Eels
""
16 seconds ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Storm vs Eels
"Look what I found today in my clean up 
is it a sign 🤔😆"
1 minute ago
Jimmy Wong replied to LB's discussion Eels v Bears Highlights
"Eels won 36 - 14"
6 minutes ago
Cumberland Eel replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Storm vs Eels
"Eels by 6- Mom Dylan Brown "
8 minutes ago
More…