Replies

• Ok, give us your honest take on the season, if you're allowed to that is !!!

• It's a tough one, Brett. I kind of feel that when it gets to finals, you need things to fall our way and whether it be the Jennings saga, Mika getting injured leaving us with a crippled backline against Melbourne or the missed penalty against Souths, we just didn't get things fall into place when we needed. We just need to try and keep improving to the point where we're one of those teams that manage to get wins even when the cards don't fall our way. I think we showed against Melbourne we were capable of beating anyone, and we'd hit strong enough form for finals that we could have gone all the way, and that is encouraging and an improvement. 

• My concern, and I think I speak for a goodly majority of the guys here, is that whilst we are capable of periods of incredibly inspired footy, we don't have a sound enough game plan nor the necessary mental toughness to get through the periods of games when things aren't going our way, especially against the top teams in the big games.

My concern is that in 7 seasons, and 7 seasons being a big enough sample size to make a decent call on this, BA has not instituted that missing ingredient, and if he hasn't by now, there is precious little reason to believe he is all of a sudden going to in 2021.

If we look back through the last 7 seasons, any improvements have been brought about through upgrades in talent, not through incisive coaching in either a technical or tactical sense. Unfortunatley as we are now experiencing, there is precious little Mark O'Neill can do now to upgrade this roster. Yeah we can maybe strengthen our bench, and maybe Bryce Cartwright and/or John Asiata can give us some punch there, but really, our best 13 really can't be improved without screwing up our cap position.

I didn't see this season as a step forward, I think we tred water this year and quite frankly I don't see that changing in 2021. 

I know you're probably limited in what you can say publicly, but it's clear the football department are starting to have the same concerns.

• Very true I'm preparing myself for next year to be a step backwards unless changes to the coaching structure happen

• Same here, I am really struggling to be positive about next season, if our coaching staff remain as is i will have no confidence about improved performance next season, I even think we could miss the 8.

• Brett, this is just my personal opinion and more related to people management in general outside of the fact that I do think we were a better team for most of the year, and our improved table standing is testament to that. Coaches like players can improve. As an organisation you can support your people to take the next step your looking for and I believe at this stage that's what the organisation will do.

• Phil, fair calls.  My concerns primarilly with the coaching side of things is not against the head coach, rather the asistant/s, moreso regarding two of them, & they being David Kidwell and the limited time/use/impact that Joey had during this time, but with what I have seen, Joey was not involved on the fiels as much as is needed especially for the younger players he was working with. This became noticeable as the year progressed and he was seen outside the fence talking to players, rather than on the field with them. Various reasons have been put forward as to why that occured.

While our defence picked up early on, it certainly fell away towards the end, from my perspective I do not see that our existing defense coach actually made improvements overall to the team, he has been with the team now since mid 2018 which for me has shown his limitations in that role.  Thing is I guess is how many coaches does a team need, and in what areas are of the most need?

• I hear that you have aged so much with the stress of the Board that your insurance company only sends you a 6 month in advance calendar?

If things go well with Jarryd next month, sign him to replace Jennings.

• This reply was deleted.
      • I hear the site is implementing a rule that anyone suggesting Hayne will return to save us will be immediately suspended and made to guard both The VIC/NSW and QLD/NSW borders simultaneously. 
        Lookin at you, Poppa

• Yeah how did this turn into a Bring Back Jarryd blog?

Phil it's still the same old mate (case in point above):

Team List Time

Bring Back Jarryd

Sack The Coach

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael Ericson replied to Hell On Eels's discussion Houston In Hindsight: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
"Fair enough regards those 2 - they are probably the most aggressive kick returners in the comp. I would say it's not getting the warriors the win this year though. 
Sivo is the worst this year - but like I said he's played 3 games - 2 of them on one…"
3 minutes ago
Jack replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"His just given a full month at fullback and wants to show what he has. Smart move by him to not take the option. Plays a good month of footy and he could earn extra 100-150k "
3 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"Don't be obtuse Frank, Penrith were pissed when they lost Katoa, and Hopgood was a bit like Sander's, he had road blocks in front of him and thus he left. They also have lost Turuva to Tigers. That's not a criticsm of Penrith, there systems are as…"
5 minutes ago
The Captain replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Talagi rejects player option, now on the open market
"You don't need to test the market to know player worth - there are people at our club who's literal job is to understand the player market, understand what competitive salaries would look like, and negotiate to right-size a contract. Sure, if you're…"
23 minutes ago
More…