I've been meaning to post this for some time now. I've been casually checking in to be confronted with what I consider ignorant and ill-informed commentary - and I've been busy - so here I am responding at 2:50am on a Saturday morning!

May I start by congratulating the admin for their handling of both BA's and Gutho's contract negotiation. BA desperately wants to coach our footy club to great success and the dearth of quality alternatives seemed like his reinstatement was a no-brainer - but - the club made him sweat it out!

This is a good thing because it's about time this outfit starts operating on on-field results rather than favours over long lunches at board level!

Likewise, Gutho's manager made our club look like the villain when, in fact, a 3 year deal will see him in his prime in 3 years so, unless he has some medical condition that nobody is currently aware of, a 3 year deal for a non-rep player for something in the territory of $650k sounds pretty reasonable!

Next stop - we sign Moses. He's our halfback, our organiser and the bloke who management and coaching staff have determined is the most appropriate player to build a team around. I think we've seen ample evidence to the fact that he's capable of it. His good games come on the back of our forwards messing up the opposition defence and his poor games follow when our forwards are dominated and has no time.

He wouldn't be the first halfback to struggle when his pack is not gaining advantage per hit-up.

The next point I want to touch on is respect to the salary cap and TPA's. 

I think it was Brissy Eel and Fong got into a stoush over TPA's and the supposed 'unfair advantage' that some clubs have over others.

Fong made the point that the Roosters utilise TPA's very much to their advantage and listed a raft of methods as to how they could do so legally. He was correct in saying that the RLPA have made it their primary mission to prevent the NRL from publicising the players' income streams such that it remains a matter between the player and the ATO.

Fong is not wrong in fact, but he is wrong in principal - and this is why:

The RLPA is ostensibly a Union (something I suspect Fong isn't a fan of) and they have traditionally used strong-arm tactics to deny a regime of full disclosure with respect to income streams for the players.

Meanwhile, there are certain clubs that have an inherent advantage when it comes to TPA's or otherwise - whether it be location (e.g. the Storm whereby their players are out of the 'fishbowl'), corporate affiliates (e.g. the Broncos and their ‘old boys club’), real-estate (e.g. the Roosters  - where Uncle Nick finds a beachfront property to rent out to a player during their playing tenure and sells it for a peppercorn at the conclusion of their career), or facilities (e.g. Parra - with our shiny new stadium and our soon-to-be built $40m Centre of Excellence).

It is an exercise of pure ignorance to deny these factors with respect to club recruitment and retention.

I am very limited in what I can detail, but both my brother and I are lawyers. I have had dealings with a club and my brother is currently representing a former director of another NRL club in an unfair dismissal matter - and both mine and his came about because of a 'whistle-blower'.

It appears that the current MO of clubs is to sign sham IT contracts whereby they 'purchase' a range of photocopiers, data projectors, AV technology and on-call support - but  - said product does not arrive and is instead funnelled into player payment avenues.

This is simply fact, so when some of you on this forum talk about "good management" - what you might mean is "better cheating" - because that’s what’s happening!

So, without clear and full disclosure of player income streams, these avenues of cheating will continue and the rich and powerful clubs will continue to be rich and powerful.  If this is something we're all comfortable with, why not eradicate the salary cap and sell the franchises to rich Saudi billionaires - per the Premier League!

I don't want that. I don't think the fans want that and I don't think the likes of Fong want that either!

The solution is simple. Do what the NBA and NFL did and make player income streams a matter of public record. If not, we might as well not whine about the Roosters or Broncos or Storm and their Salary sombreros because nothing will ever change otherwise!

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Interesting blog and a good read. 

• From what I could gather from this post is that we’re not going to see a premiership till a Saudi prince buys the NRL ??

• Let's hope not mate :-)

• This reply was deleted.
      • Good post Bourbon and poppa, unfortunatly i doubt player payments will ever be made public so we can rule that out, poppa's suggestion is the only real way forward for our club to match these super clubs, it can be done, it just takes time to get to that level and firstly all this infighting by factions has to end. Who knows how much longer these factions will delay the progress is anyones guess. People hate to hear it but we have to be patient.

• This reply was deleted.
        • Benny Gale is CEO of the Richmond Tigers. They too had a review when long term coach Damian Hardwick had a shit year in 2016. All fans were calling for his head (me included). The club outsourced and did review. Hardwick survived and went on and won the AFL premiership in 2017. Benny Gale is still there as CEO over seeing membership of 100,000+ and getting the club back to profitability. There is one example when the “clueless” CEO was the tight man for the job. Now you know one Fong. 

• Surprise, surprise. This is exactly the response I was expecting from you.You denigrate people of substance, but do not give examples of their wrongdoing. Sponsors were difficult to find, due to the salary cap cheating and player misbehaviour. The club was in a financial mess, due to overspending on the football club,without any tangible results. The efforts by the Board has resulted in significant savings. We now have a better balance sheet, recruited and resigned some quality players. Our new stadium with increased attendences will enable the leagues club to maximise their profits and make more funds available for the football club. I believe the club is heading in the right direction and the Board should be applauded and not the reverse. Stop referring to your past heroes and embrace the future,but i also know whatever I or other wellmeaning people will say,it is like talking to a brick wall and your mates will agree with you 100%

• Poppa, According to Bennie ,you are my alias, which is true in a sense that your article reinforces my own thoughts. Congratulations to B,M, and you for your well considered  and thoughtful articles You wont unfortunately find too many likeminded people on this forum. 

• Welcome back Barboun Man. I haven't seen you for ages. Great blog. 

• How can the common fan bring about that players income streams become public record. We all want it. 

Is there a petetition that can be signed?

if there were and enough people signed it perhaps the media would get on board?

Perhaps there could be change?

• Well Parra might not have ordered 2 million dollars worth of of bogus photocopiers ( that’s almost one for for every club member and extended families ) but I pray for a win tonight against the cowboys. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frankie Fong replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Having Meninga around any club is not good , this aura that has been built around him because he is seen as some kind of man management guru is hilarious . 

It's very easy to man manage champion and once in a generation players like he had in…"
4 minutes ago
Nitram replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"Yeah so true. I remember thinking a couple of years ago, how is this bloke in first grade. The coach persisted and for while he was just hanging onto a spot from the bench getting some minutes in the middle. Then bang, he came good and was for at…"
6 minutes ago
Muttman replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Nathan Cayless is an option. "
9 minutes ago
TolEllts replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"Reckon he wants to quit being a player and be a psychologist but could not give away his fat salary"
11 minutes ago
More…