It was revealed by BA this afternoon at the media conference that Gutherson played the last 5 games in 2022 with a broken hand and was also the reason why Jakob Arthur was continuously on the bench, to provide cover and for Moses to shift to fullback if Gutho couldn't continue. BA also said that 'this wasn't a ideal solution' and needed a player to cover Fullback. 

Id say he's got no confidence in Russell to play FB.
So the question I have to ask is, so all off season till now and they can't secure a player who can cover fullback as well as a bench spot?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gutho is a tough player and has great character- he's not a game breaker by any means but his defence is mostly v good. All this talk in media abt an X factor type I think is half baked; a centre is needed for Blake. 

• Yes thank you, watched NRL 360 and they were mentioning Campbell and Laurie and i was shouting "NO!!!!". Then i believe it was Kent that said it is a Centre or Winger that can play Fullback also if need be that they want. Finally someone said it.

This is replacing Blake, then hopefully Gutherson down the line with someone already in the club. Look at our back-line depth. Sivo, Simonsson, Blake, Penisini, Dunster, Lumelume and Cini (Russell is out so not including him). None of them are trustworthy Fullbacks if Gutho goes down, Simonsson v Cronulla was just awful. I think that showed BA we need someone who can play Centre or Wing, replacing Blake or Simonsson as both are expendable, being able to move to 1 mid game if needed and we lose nothing. A lot easier replacing a Centre than a Fullback mid game.

Wish we got Farnworth when he was looking for where to go in 2023/24. Tyrell Sloan might be an option since he is not a bad Winger and can go back if needed. Laurie and Campbell are limited to Fullback only so no help for us. I doubt BA wants a 14 that can only play Fullback, especially seeing how having Hands for Hodgson worked out.

• I concede that this kind of thinking requires some level of creative license and thus I understand that it's no likely to be accurate but I really think this is an option..

Centre has been a target for us for 18 months already. There are no secrets that we need that hole filled. We tried hard to get Herby and now have entered the Wighton race. However we keep coming up short. We can't afford the kind of Centre we are after. 
        So we look at what we have done with our signings this year, it's clear that Asi is a project at the position for our club. If he kicks on and develops well then we have a young player in a positional need already at the club. Please remember this is purely hypothetical at this stage.

Carty, he has played his ass off, completely suprised me, that being said though, once Lane comes back he is no longer starting.. or is he? What if we move him across, he could really do well in the Centres. I look at Capewell in Origin, even in thre Brisbane Battle he showed bigger backrowers have enough speed to strike when the moment calls for it. Ultimately as well it actually plays well into Cartys skill set, creative freedom with the footy or a big body on the decoy that would draw interest from the defence. Silly hands to finish off a play, big tick too! He could really do well for us there IMO. His defence has improved out of sight and I think previously he may of had trouble getting in to the rhythm of the game and I think BA is a good enough man manager to listen and see that.

Hodgson is a bench player moving forward, its genuinely a matter of time until that happens, probably once Lane is back he will force us to make Hands a top 30 player and hence will be named as 9 and not a back rower which is currently granting us dispensation.

So that leads me to Preston's boy and Laurie. 

JC is a freak of a footy player, everyone has their right to an opinion and that's mine, if you think otherwise I understand but hopefully you can find some time to watch him closely, he genuinely can do things others can't. He has some gumption about him too, he isn't afraid to take on bigger blokes and isn't as small as you'd think, and he is still growing. He has razzle dazzle and toughness. As far as playing positions other than FB is concerned he certainly can play Centre Five Eigth and Wing. That's a fact. To have him slot straight into what he is alreafd doing in GC makes sense but at the same time it kind of doesn't. Why would he leave to arrive at pretty much the same situation with us, only with a better chance of making it to the big dance? He would probably take a pay cut too.

Secondly, I've found myself on somewhat of an island for the following but happy to remain there and plant a flag too. I think Laurie is all of the above too. Anyone who thinks otherwise, time may prove that you are correct and I will not be ashamed at all to admit I was wrong but from what I've seen of DL on his good days, he is a high level first grade talent. He would certainly come at a discount too. I just love the way he competes when he is provoked, he is a big game stand up type player and we are constantly involved in big games. (Price of success and loyal fan base). 
        He is still only 23. He had a strong game for Wests in NSW cup and still isn't getting a run, he is done there, he hates the joint, Ofcourse he won't play his best footy there. I would love to have either, but at cost I think DL is the better choice. 

I just hope if it ends up happening that we send him positive vibes and support, he deserves another chance and could really win us over as a fan base with his tenacity and skill.

Gutho isn't moving out of 1. That's been made clear, either of those two boys would be back up 1, and could both play W, C or 6. 
        If Carty or Asi play in the Centres we can afford to have DL or JC at 14 because both of those guys could plug a hole at 9. 

• Both rag dolled in seconds.

Pretty easy to stand out when you're playing at the Tits or Tiges.

• I think the opposite about standing out whilst playing for the Tigers. I think he has, at times, stood out as the shining light at the club. He won Players Player for them last year. They are basically a black hole for talent, sucking the life out of their players, no one enjoys playing there. 
            I anticipate that Laurie will be the first of many who leave the club early. All of the players that do will only improve from there. 
            I completely agree that DL can learn to embrace contact a bit more, needs to be more consistent but I think we can help him with both of those.
            Worth mentioning too that he played with Handsy at the Riff for a couple of years. Could end up with a young talented player to take over from Gutho in 2 years. At worst we have an average player on an average-level contract. I think its win win.

• Wasn't Russell injured? Did Russell ever return to reserve grade after his rib injury last year? 

Perham would have been better cover than JA, but it's clear he wasn't in BA's trusted inner circle so he was always frozen out.

• Russell came back around Round 14 in NSW cup, though didn't play another game in FG. It was a shame as he would've played 12 or so games before Sivo came back, would have helped his development.

• It was revealed after the GF loss he had a broken hand that happened before the the Cowboys game . 

• Completely false 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
2 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
3 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
3 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
3 hours ago
More…