Eels performance against sharks

1. Gutho - was very solid without being spectacular. Did his job in the rain.

2. Sivo - very poor game. He barely involves himself during the game. Bombed an easy try and cost us 2 tries. Showed no urgency to get rid of the ball for Ramiens try and then rushed up on Kenedy for no reason in the third try. Normally he followed what Jenko does, but he rushed out for no reason. 

3. Jenko - Solid. Him and Gutho cannot be blamed for overunning and slipping in the third try due to the conditions.

4. Blake - alright game. His first contact wasn't good as usual and with the slippery conditions it made him look even worse in defence.

5. Fergo - God knows what that pass was. Few droped balls (understand that due to the slippery condition but the sideline pass was horrible). Despite his errors I believed he provided good meters from the back with his carries.

6. D Brown - MOM. So happy. Hopefully all the poeple critiquing him can shut up now. He played brilliantly running the ball and good short passez to Lane instead of risky long passes in the weather. I wrote a week back how he is very deceptively strong and people should be ready for an offload when he runs. So happy Evans followed through and as a result scored. Secondly, I also mentioned how he should show more intent when running the ball with decoys around him and dummying. He did that today which resulted in a try, try assist and also good running meters.

7. M Moses -  Very good short kicking game forcing numerous line drop outs. Probably could of past to Blake when he was running down the touchline. Blake is much faster and Moses already has a dogey calf. Converted well and defended very strong considering the wet weather. Good overall game.

8. 10. 13.Paulo & RCG & N Brown - Just their usual standard these days. Good defence in the middle, great intensity (N Brown) and running meters. Arguably the best foward pack.

11.12. Lane & Marata -  Good defence and running meters as well. I felt like both espicially Marata provided great post contact meters which is vital for wet weather. Both made an error or so which is understanable in this weather.

9. Mahoney - Very good defensive game from the small man. Made plenty of tackles and chopped down many larger blokes. Thought he could of used his great kicking game during the match more often for field position.

14.15.16.17 - Evans & Stone & Davey & Kafusi - Davey is our new Gower. He was great in defence and has good ability with the ball during his short time on the field. Stone provided intensity and was great defenc, espically his tackles on Rudolf. Evans and Kafusi were both good. An error or so but did their job. Will be sad to see if Evans goes next year.

Team performance:

We can't be over critical of this performance. Just because we haven't been at our best recently, doesn't mean we played badly today. It's near impossible to train for these freezing cold, pissing raining, flooding ground conditions. Even if they could, it is still extremely difficult to catch, pass, tackle (hit and stick) during wet weather. We should just be happy we came home with the 2 points. Expecting us to smash sharks in these condition is ludicrous. While's Fergo brain snap and him, Sivo and Blakes defensive reads need to improve, other errors in the game should not be over criticised. Completing around 80% in these conditons is great. Our teams collective defensive effort, grit and determination for these conditons is a massive postive. All in all, great work by the boys and in these conditions all you have to do is win the game depsite how bad you play. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Couldn't get into third gear? Yeah because it was completely soaked lol

• Critical you have to be.

If we want to improve our execution and ability to maintain pressure needs work.This is on thee halves the miss Moses made and the Sharks came down off of a back to back set and scored was inexcusable and for me this is why we struggle to put 80 minute performances together.We can do it in patches but come finals we have to be clinical and ruthless we haven't got that as a team yet.

Even though conditions were poor last night ball control had to be thee operative aspect.Yet we come up with cold drops and poor ball security that will cost us.

Tactically in attack from what I've seen the last month we are lacking.We want to go through the middle of teams but when we are attacking outside I think we need depth adjustment from our outside runners especially against line speed.

I'd also like to see more running from Moses playing more direct going to the line with numbers going with him.

Most positive thing I've seen the last month as ugly as our attack has been is our ability to defend mistakes we are resilient.

• I said we can't be over critical if you can read. You are actually crazy if you are complaining about ball control in these conditions. We completed better than some teams do in perfect conditions. You try play in piss rain and freezing conditions that's near impoosible to train in and games you rarely experience. I know our attack has been bad of recent but this is not a game to critcize it. It's hard to catch the ball in those conditions as it is. Both teams short kicking game were great. So sometimes you can't do anything but concede drop pouts. Gve credit to the opposition where deserved

• You can be critical of thee attack we haven't done anything to suggest we can dent teams the last month of footy last night wasn't ideal but the previous games Dogs and alike the attacks been pourous.We lack variation and our option taking with the our halves is up n down.

Ball handling had to be thee thing last night conditions regardless we have to be better full stop.You can't just say conditions were this imagine if this was finals footy and we coughed that up against the Roosters Storm and alike I think the result is different.So yes I'm very critical of handling conditions regardless.

The best thing about it is we have 7-8 weeks to fix it.

• This reply was deleted.
          • I agree with what you say. I think its fair to say Sivo doesnt have the xperience in these scenarious and when to clear the ball in the rain. Same thing with Blake's defence and Moses running game. 

• This still doesn't stop Moses from going to the line.

At the moment the right side attack is early ball to Blake or high kick for Fergo.

His injury may hamper him but I don't understand whole he still can't engage the line.

• Moses can't run comfortably due to his calf. He's managing it. He struggled when he broke play and pinned his ears back. His legs weren't following. Mitch's pace has dropped 30%. Nothing like the explosive running and side-stepping we saw last year.

Anyway..this is probably the best performance ever by a team in the wet. How about Parra lining up in a V formation inside our own 10!!! The 2nd try Kenny scores is all about positioning. Look how he sniffs out a break and re-adjusts his running line from the outside to the inside. Bloody f*cking genius.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkJwLmGEcWg

• Not sure what's going on with Sivo but his defense and overall play don't seem to be improving this year as compred to how he came on last year.

• I'm not sure if there's any truth to this but I heard Sivo smokes like a chimney. Best put the durries away old son if you want to run fast and play hard!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

AlShaw replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Sivo won't get time for that but he's become a liability. Unfortunately I'm not sure we have anyone better. This is why we should have bought a quality winger in the off season"
22 seconds ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Are you seriously happy with that game? Most other teams would of ran riot over us the first and second half. If you are happy with this same mediocre crap go for it. If you can't see we are going backwards at a massive rate, maybe go to a mental…"
2 minutes ago
Seraph replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"I think  its frustration. Knees are cooked and other teams see him out of position he cant cover quick enough.
Also seeing the guys not put up the same effort as you try to, must be hard.
this year has been the first time in the past few seasons…"
4 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"I'm talking about filling in for the rest of the year. Being a origin and international coach, he might be able to kick him in to gear. If he didn't, to me the year is dead buried anyways. It's either him, Barrett or ba continues. 
Holbrook was the…"
5 minutes ago
More…