The similarities from this scene (watch below) in the movie Moneyball and what is happening at our club at present is pretty much identical.

Just change the names of the players, recruitment strategy to replace them, spending to compared to other clubs....

Spoiler alert to those that haven’t watched the full movie, in the end the “Moneyball” team broke the record for consecutive wins, but once again bombed out in the playoffs.

Sound familiar?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There's an interesting article doing the rounds about Nick Politis given the drama around Brandon Smith, and it used the example of how Nick helped Cooper Cronk secure a 30k grant to allow him to apply for Cronk to do his MBA at Harvard. Nick didn't give him the money, but provided him with the contact. 
              Interesting, the Roosters tried to sign Mitch Moses in 2017, but MM reneged on the deal to sign with the Eels. That's when Nick refused to deal with Isaac Moses, but somehow still signed James Tedesco. 

• I just saw the article today Brett, im going to put it up in its own post, it rejnforces exactly what i was saying. Probably better written though.

• Actually no Rocky, they fcuked up the paper bags and the TPA's.....the rule's for TPA's are there and it is not hard. The previous administration were so dumb, they did no research or look into what was required.

Simple way to do them is just makesure the NRL are fully aware of everything. They have to be reported anyway, anyone trying to hide them, ventures down old Parra ways.

No one is suggesting paper bags or any of the more subtle methods of family members jobs/businesses or golf games with the chairman. A great example of a TPA was Thurston's deal with the headgear company. Lots of businneses out there that can call on a player to present to a promotion or be a dinner guest at an important meeting.......etc etc 

5 lots of 100k would have secured our team! I think this is where we have lost them, ie its only the cap effect that has been disclosed not the deal that goes with it. Originally the concept was to protect players from raid's from other codes, because no club could defend them through the cap if they were being poached by another code, AFL did this to a limited extent and also Union. They introduced a marquee player scheme, but I am not sure where that is now,

• This reply was deleted.
    • My answer to keeping the 3 players we lost would have been to lose 1 player- Clint Gutherson, there is $750k.

Could have re-signed them all and still had $250k spare.

However, If you watched the clip- Brad Pitt was asking for "just a little bit more money" NRL terms equals TPA's.

How many times do people have to be told...WE ARE MAKING UP THE NUMBERS IF WE DON'T UTILISE TPA'S.

• Could replace him for way less than $750k CNK from the Raiders is on $325k... Captain ransom double the player he is? Dane Laurie is on $220k. JAC wanted a shot playing FB... could have signed him for $500k.

• Boston also went 100 plus years without winning a title yet a lot cry about 36 #dropinthebucket

• That's the whole point actually it doesn't mattter what a fan thinks. They have zero to do with the inner workings.In all they are just along for the ride.

• Why would a fans mentality have anything to do with his/her team winning a premiership?

It makes 0 zero difference what a fan thinks 0.You actually think your opinion or thought process has anything to do with the team winning a premiership.You are joking aren't you lol.Let me guess you'd bend over and pick up the soap if it helped the team win it right lol.

Just sit back and enjoy the ride that's all your there for.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Yeah Man's discussion What Preist stabbed in Sydney
"I honestly don't get how you can riot, assault police and destroy police cars and the crowd is not subject to a police investigation an ensuing charges ro be laid in fact they got sympathy from the head copper. They're no different to the morons at…"
2 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"Oh jeeezus , another 10 year contract coming up for a guy based on potential. "
2 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"He seem to me like a mixture of laziness and age catching up with a guy who doesn't seem to age well. He's like the reverse Benjamin Button. He ages in dog years. He looks older than me . "
2 hours ago
Gaz Nelson replied to Parra_Greg's discussion Our New Middle Forwards ?
"The one up plodder Aidan Tolman had a day? "
3 hours ago
More…