The way the game will be played

A lot of us on here are disillusioned with the football department , the way we're playing our footy verse the way we want to play our footy  and that type of footballs effectiveness in the modern game.

Who at the club is recognising the trends that creep into the game . The ones that prove successful that eventually all clubs try to emulate .

The Storm with the wrestle , the way players revolutionise  their positions , block plays , sweep plays ect ect

The clubs which we aren't one of who are at the forefront of these innovations win premierships while the rest play catch up.

Rugby leagues a simple game and the basics remain , gain momentum and play off the back of it.

The days of traditional front rowers seem to be coming to an end with the speed of the game continually accelerated by the powers that be and the ball in play longer than it's been in decades the front rowers role is about to change.

Unless your big and mobile like a Payne Haas who for a big man has good acceleration the plodding front rower with limited lateral movement is becoming a thing of the past.

Forwards who just do hitups will be gone , ball skills will be paramount for your middles.

Clubs will start opting  for smaller middles in your Rueben Cotter , Jake Trbojevic , Hopgood type mould  where your bigger forwards will be your edge backrowers .

Backrowers who are damaging but aren't required to do as much work in the middle, Fifita , Olakalatu, Crichton and Kikau.

The emphasis will be on ball movement , moving defences around not allowing rushing defence or gang tackles resulting in more fatigue through the middle .

Theres talk of getting rid of the kickoff, why does a front rower have to run into the teeth of the defence , what if you went two passes wider and Brian To'o took the hit up.

Which scenario statistically would give your more momentum.

The onus will be on defence in the new era as it is now but it'll be seen as easier to defend your line then anywhere else. 
Its harder to promote the ball quickly from 5 metres out and teams with strong defences will recognise it and linespeed  off your line will be far quicker and stifling.

The game is getting more and more like touch and players are recognising if they can get it wider then the shooters out of the line you gain momentum.

Its all about speed, the habit of running into a solid defensive line of large forwards is changing , teams are looking at getting at the smaller halves on the first tackle inside their own 20 or going around condensed defences and getting the results.

Youll start to see more trick plays especially with impromptu kicks early in sets even straight off a kick off with teams attempting 20/40's which hasn't caught on yet but will.

The Walker brothers were ahead of their time, with the NRL seeing themselves as being in the entertainment industry this type of football sells the  game with endless highlight reels so they'll look to promote it.

Momentum based statistics will takeover , what part of the defensive line of the opposition leaks the most metres and points , regardless if it's tackle one that's where you attack.

Warren Ryan's conservative brand of football no chip kicks in your own half is long gone, pressure creates momentum and the tackle number or field position is becoming irrelevant.

Rugby League as you used to know it has already changed and the Parramatta Eels haven't yet caught on.

So what are we going to do to innovate and be proactive in shaping the way the games to be played in the next decade or are we waiting to see what everyone else does and stay a few years behind because we're playing pre 2020 successful football at the moment and it's obsolete.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bup, how many years have I been saying you should be on the coaching staff.

The great mystery is you watch the Dolphins tonight and basically they have been playing the same brand from the time they came in and they have a 73 year old coach, who is leading the innovation. This comes back to confidence and belief in your self.

I am so disappointed that BA like any coach worth his salt does not have the vision to appoint someone to manage same. Wayne Bennett has driven that innovation through his staff. He has not shown how to do it, he has employed people to do it.

The one innovation you have missed is that the coach is really a manager and he manages the process through the staff. BA seems to have the view that running laps with the players is the coaches chore.His choice of assistants do nothing to compliment him. Notwithstanding Barrett who seems the type to innovate and I can only assume he is not allowed to.

If we cannot get a recognised coach as we define them, get one that can manage a process, they could come from any associated sport. If you know nothing about NRL get someone who does and you look at refining that process by recognising, speed and agility and the competetiveness of the people you select.

Lets stop looking back and criticising and blaming and look and move forward.  Laying blame on the past is not going to do anything other than reflecting on what not to do.

• My days of coaching are done Poppa but I get incredibly frustrated that players as professionals can't grasp the fundamentals of the game.

Mistakes happen and you have to play what you see but our game turned into this benign type of football where two or three one out hit up kick to the corner type football adnauseum.

That football great when your up and steamrolling opponents that are already fatigued but it hardly wins you momentum.

That conservative type football is on its ways out, sustained pressure with ball movements the future.

Bennett recognises this , he brought in the big wingers which he still favours. 
        Hes always encouraged players with flair because he understands the momentum game.

He also understands you need to defend mistakes, Bennet only tolerates players who can't tackle if they score more points then they concede.

As a SuperCoach he understands like Jack Gibson that you need to refresh a 17 every year by two players that strengthen the team or you don't improve ,he turns over assistants nearly as fast .

Fresh ideas and innovation don't come from listening to the same voices.

• What Bennett and Woofe have done up there in Redcliffe is very very impressive. The dolphins are a serious team. Even with a crippling injury toll, they are right in the contest. 

Everyone says how affable Wayne Bennett is but there is a line and it's all performance driven. Players like Te Whare and Milford can't get a run because they are not performing to the required standard. One can't help wonder is perhaps all we require at the Eels is a coach that sticks to his word and sets standards ?  I'm concerned by reports by Mannah recently that certain players are treated differently to others regards those standards. 

You can either be the boss or everyone's mate but as the coach you really can't be both. 

Ange Postecoglou recently said that he makes a point to have a clear seperation between his players, not even sitting down for a coffee with them. This reinforces his position as coach, disciplinarian and allows him to objectively select players on their performances not whether they pop around for dinner. 

This is why we need to move on from BA. If not Bennett but someone else that refreshes the place and brings new ideas but personally I reckon a coach that has some sort of gravitas like a Bennett or a Bellamy would take our footballing program into the stratosphere bringing at least new ideas. You can't rely on a coach, any coach for 11 years unless that coach is an out and out superstar with the results to match. 

It's such a waste. 

• So True they will never beat themselves and they have a plan through adversity and when they are behind.   Will they win the comp NO but for a second year team they are light years ahead of us light years...... In effect Moses is very much like how Hayne was for the team.  BA has given him all the keys to the team without developing contingencies for our situation now when he is out for an extended period. We are clueless and directionless which creates problems with confindence and defensive trust.   Effort plays like Gutho tries can only get you so far ....We needed to play smarter without moses and change our game plans .  However the bottom line is we cant keep up our defensive intensity for 80 min nor can be play attacking catch up when behind.     I cant see us getting out of this in 24. 

• I agree hugo 

this bbq buddy bullshit has to stop 

its not conducive to standards and compromises objectivity 

• 😂🤣

• Being a leader is difficult if your a copy cat your behind the 8 ball regardless.

At some point we have to have an identity of how we want to play in all this.

Now who drives this will be on the current or new head coach.All I know is we don't want to be a follower.You also will 100% have to rebuild this roster in the outside backs and fowards middles especially.

• You know Coryn, I have no doubt that you and Bup are equipped to go in there and do it..... I would be surprised if any of our BA critics on here would know which dressing room to walk in.

Cappy and Mutts could walk into the board room and aquit themselves as well. 

Again most of our other procrastinators would not make the reading of the last minutes.

• Well said Coryn. Maybe copy some things and then create your own identity from there.

• Well said Coryn, when hiring a coach or keeping a coach need to say to yourself what type of team do we want to be and what type of coach would get us there? 

I think Defence should be the main focal point of most identities. Not coincidental that the teams that win comps are in top 2 or 3 of comp in defence majority of the time.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Arthur and Eels to part ways with immediate effect
"Coryn, Matt Cameron is now the CEO of Penrith he ain't coming to be our HOF. I fell for the same trap when I suggested chasing him. i think HOE corrected me on it."
47 seconds ago
Parralyzed replied to Parralyzed's discussion The Board
"Thank you.
That's well explained Frankie.
Basically it means we're screwed "
1 minute ago
Electric Eel 2 replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Arthur and Eels to part ways with immediate effect
"Agree with everything you said, but of course the players perform for him. Gees, they are State of Origin Reps who have trounced us proudly for years now. How much coaching is truly required there? Will our squad be full of the best players in the…"
2 minutes ago
Charlie Forester posted a discussion
Have just read an article that Wayne was in secret talks with Eels management and declined us multiple times saying he had unfinished buisness at South Sydney. If this report is true, which it probably is (eels board likely leaked it to media to…
3 minutes ago
More…