THE TALE OF TWO CLUBS

Read the article below, and compare the differences between the bunnies management and the rubbish that Parramatta has had since 2017.

Souths  don't sit back and tolerate failure or make excuses for it like the eels do and you only need read the part about  how the loss to the storm was the final straw. 

In contrast, when Parramatta got humiliated in a record loss by the storm in 2018 when the bush coach was steering the club to the wooden spoon the eels board gave him a new contact.

Like I always said , the same people who told you that Steve Sharp was going to be wonderful for the club are the exact same people who told this rubbish and the method in which they were selected was also going to be wonderful for the club.

If you're a Souths fan, at least you know your club won't be allowed to flounder and fail for long. 

For while the bunnies management aren't perfect and make mistakes, at least they have standards for their club and know when things are unacceptable enough to make changes.

Parramatta's management, on the other hand, have low standards, make excuses for failing, reward failure and don't like making changes. 

NRL 2024: South Sydney CEO Blake Solly on Jason Demetriou sacking, Wayne Bennett interest

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly has fronted the media, revealing the moment the club made the decision to sack Jason Demetriou, while confirming Wayne Bennett is a target.

South Sydney chief executive Blake Solly has lavished praise on seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett as the Rabbitohs prepare to unveil a replacement for Jason Demetriou within weeks, not months.

Solly fronted the media on Tuesday morning at Souths’ Heffron Park headquarters, outlining the board’s decision to sack Demetriou less than 24 hours earlier and hitting back at criticism of the club over their handling of his dismissal.

He also gave Bennett a ringing endorsement as the club begins the process of identifying the coach they want to lead them next season.

Bennett, who spent three years at Souths and took the club to a grand final, is at the front of that queue as he prepares to hand over the reins at the Dolphins to his successor Kristian Woolf at the end of the season.

“Wayne is one of the coaches we will talk to,” Solly said.

“Wayne had great success here, left the club on very good terms. We’ll speak to Wayne and if he’s available and he’s interested certainly we’ll progress that.

Pushed on whether Bennett’s prior success in bringing out the best in the Iikes of Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell would count in his favour, Solly said: “It’s a strong consideration. I do know Wayne likes success.

“I know he wants to win premierships, and I know he loves the values of the club and what we stand for.

“I think he’s made that pretty clear during his time here; his affection for the club, the ownership, the board and the management.

“We will certainly be speaking to Wayne because he left the place in very good shape when he left and he was very good when he was here.

“He was a pleasure to deal with.”

Demetriou was axed on Monday night after a day of deliberation at Souths, the club’s high-powered board making the call after taking into consideration the club’s woeful end to last season and awful start to this one.

timeline0_yjYw-9uMCo.jpg

Demetriou had prepared a presentation of his own to push his cause, but it eventually fell on deaf ears as the board unanimously opted to head in a different direction after convening two meetings at either end of an emotional day for the club.

Assistant coach Ben Hornby, who has been appointed as an interim for the remainder of the season, took his first training session on Tuesday morning.

The Rabbitohs gave Demetriou a stay of execution only a fortnight ago but Solly conceded the performance against Melbourne - they were flogged at AAMI Park - had been the final straw.

“Our view that the one game was indicative of an inability to turn it around and that we needed to make a quick decision,” Solly said.

“Unfortunately, we didn’t think Jason’s coach style would be able to get the change we needed, or the improvement we needed.

“Given that we sit 17th on the table and our for-and-against is 50 points worse than 16th, I think now is the time to make a change.”

Asked whether he could understand the external view that the club was a rabble, Solly shot back: “Rabble might be a strong word. I can understand it hasn’t been particularly consistent or smooth sailing over the last few weeks.

“We’ve tried to support the coach and tried to give him as much backing as we could but I think, over the weekend, everyone realised that change was needed and unfortunately the change had to be Jason.”

Solly also dismissed comments from Demetriou’s agent Chris Orr that his client had been treated poorly.

2383de589ed450db0fe13302777d8392Former South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou (L) and CEO Blake Solly. Picture: Julian Andrews. 
Former South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou (L) and CEO Blake Solly. Picture: Julian Andrews

“Jason spent three years here as an assistant coach, was appointed to succeed Wayne very early on in his tenure as an assistant,” Solly said.

“The club gave Jason every single opportunity to have success and for half of that period he did. But results over the last 12 months haven’t been good enough for a club of our stature and whilst it’s no criticism of Jason and how hard he works, the last 20 games speak for themselves.

“For his agent to say he’s been treated shabbily in the context of a year’s worth of patience and support, I think is unfair. And I’m not sure Jason would share that view.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe they are in talks with Bennett. They are not exactly going to shout it from the rooftops if they are.

• Do you think Wayne Bennett is going to solve all the clubs problems? What happens when Bennett leaves ? You are still going to be stuck with the core issue the club has and has had since 2017 .

• Same applies to souths

• Surely roosters coach would be getting the tap on the shoulder soon fongy? The roosters have lost manu and Suali and kept tedesco who has aged 20 years somehow in the last 3 seasons. Than roosters bought a 35 year old Jennings and want a 34 gagai. Massive problems at roosters. How long will they tolerate failure?...

•  Not sure if you know Rusty but Manu will be back at the chooks in May next year why do you think they never made bid for Lomax ? 

The chooks have been a very successful club for the last 25 years , I'm sure they will do  what needs to be done and more importantly have the people to make the right decisions . 

As for Robbo , you will find that he will move into a director of football role at the chooks and two former storm players will take the reins . 

But you should be far more concerned with the eels Rusty and  the people who run the club . 

• Not at all Frankie. My reply was directed at the comment that our club is sitting back doing nothing. Unless the poster is on the board, there is no way he could know what they are doing behind closed doors.

• Yep zero respect for their fan base. Its almost as though they have contempt.

• They have approached Bennett. 

• I find it negligent, bordering on criminal that if as reported Wayne contacted the board to express an interest in the role and our board did not even entertain a meeting or conversation. At what stage are they looking forward to a premiership or being truly a powerhouse again.It crushes your soul.

again.it
      This domain may be for sale!
  • South's are a bigger basket case than parra. It's not like they haven't had major problems for ages. They got rid of Reynolds and the last two coaches have failed. It will take Wayne ages to fix that mess and that's even if he goes back lol.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Patsy Stone replied to fake midget pseudoachondroplasia's discussion Steve McNamara
"I really think there is zero chance of Slater being interested in a coaching gig at club level.  Slater is well established with his family in the South East of Melbourne, he has a plum gig with Ch9 which allows him to dabble in coaching with his…"
2 hours ago
fake midget pseudoachondroplasia replied to fake midget pseudoachondroplasia's discussion Steve McNamara
"If McNamara isn't in your top 5 chief that is the best endorsement I have heard for a coach, sign him up now.
Slater isn't going coach eels so forget it  Origin coach suits him as it allows him time for his commentary and his horses.  His built up…"
2 hours ago
LB replied to fake midget pseudoachondroplasia's discussion Steve McNamara
"Though Michael, you mention also Slater is who you would be going for. He has only coached Origin. Now i do agree with the sediments of a coach who has never coached in the NRL is not a great option, if they have been an assistant then went to…"
2 hours ago
Mathew Clarke replied to fake midget pseudoachondroplasia's discussion Steve McNamara
"If we're going with a rookie coach, Slater is who the Eels should be doing everything possible to get him.
Not much they can do if he's not interested though."
2 hours ago
More…