The Parramatta GOAT

Time to settle it once and for all. Which Eel will come out on top in 1 Eyed Eel's Parramatta Greatest of All Time competition.

The bracket is below. We will start with two votes each day for the first round. Dropping to one vote per day for the following rounds.

5841642894?profile=RESIZE_930x

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• Lol - fair point Sluggy - you are always right :)

• 60% of the time, he is right everytime!

• Hahaha - you beat me to it. She gets a special cologne...

• lol

We should have a blog about classic movie quotes.

• Sterlo is back in the lead by one vote with only three hours to go.

• Thornett is unquestionably the man here. It is not about awards but who is the greatest player. All of the Thornetts lifted both Australian Rugby Union and Parramatta from the bottom to make them a competitive force. Everyone that came after them simply stood on their shoulders. The Thornetts, in particular Ken, turned the club around single handedly and as good as he is, Sterling could not have done that single handedly. The entire Thornett family turned both Australian Rugby and the Parramatta Eels from losers to winners. Ken onced thrashed the entire forward pack one at a time behind the grandstand for a sub par performance

• Alotta chiches there PT :)

He may have "turned them into winners", or he may have turned them into a competitive team. Either way it took another decade for them to actually "win". Sterlo steered them to 4 firsts, a second and a third in 6 years - that's pretty good.

Also, isn't it true that Thornett wanted to go to Souths and would have had Parramatta not stopped him - would he still be our GOAT if he'd got his wish and gone to Souths? If he only stayed with Parra because he had no other choice is he really a worthy GOAT? Just asking.

• I would say realisms not cliches.

Sterling also came within an inch of going to Manly.....so it's just a "what if" really. That would make Sterling not worthy of GOAT also. So i'll settle for Price, who also threatened to smash anyone if they left Parra. Men like Thornett and Price are a different breed.

I love Sterling but he couldn't turn an entire club as Ken did.

• But Sterlo didn't go - and ultimately it came down to his love of the club and team. Thornett would have gone and wanted to go - the club stopped him. There's a big difference.

And I would argue that, had Sterlo turned up at Parramatta in the 60's, he may well have turned the club around single handedly - but that's just conjecture. It would be like me saying Thornett would not have had the same impact in the great 1980's Parramatta sides as what he did in the 60's - that would be conjecture too.

As for rating a bloke based on toughness, Sterlo wasn't big or strong but he was as tough as anyone - he absorbed massive punishment and had massive courage -and as far as mental toughness goes there have been none tougher - there's been a few equals - but none tougher. . . . . . . . . in my opinion :)

• For me pricey was the captain that ran our team in our golden 80s .there for he will get my vote over the rest what is left .i used to watch them warm up in those days and happy days didn't he give it to them verbally and even the crow would no take his eyes of him .As I said now it's Pricey for me

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to EA's discussion Line up afterthe bye
"Do you watch first grade? Give him a crack, if he sinks move on to the next. "
25 minutes ago
Bourbon Man replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Fair enough mate. 
We're all looking for answers. "
1 hour ago
Steel be with you replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"I would be looking to move him on now. He is contracted until the end of 2025 but we should be looking to move him by November 2024. We can pay the last year of his contract out. He can come over here to England and play for one of our teams."
1 hour ago
Steel be with you replied to Hellmut's discussion Goal Kicking
"The goal kicking cost us badly today. If you are an opponent what looks better, being down 20-6 at half time or being down 14-6?"
1 hour ago
More…