Tevita Taumoepenu now at South Sydney

In NSW Cup last week, Tevita Taumoepenu was on the bench for South Sydney. Seems we were able to offload him too. So another spot in the top 30 now available. Just another odd top 30 future signing we made that went horribly wrong. He was nothing more than a bench player who would come on for 20min stints when signed to a development deal in 2023 then upgraded to top 30 in 2024 to keep him. 2023, he would only appear in a handful of games off the bench mid year. Played all year this year in Ron Massey Cup. At least he is off our payroll but just a bad recruitment decision.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is our weakness the pathways and not consistently being able to replenish our FG squad with youth that can make the jump.

This is what the club needs to fix ASAP.

• Spot on! This is a sad indictment on our 'development club' identity. We seem to undevelop players from SG Ball to grade.

• I understood the appeal of Taumoepenu who was 21 at the time of the deal i believe. He was a workhorse Prop, had some form in NSW Cup and wanted to develop him further. But there is no need to give him a top 30 deal for 2024.

But on top of that, we have Sam Tuivaiti on a top 30 deal for 2025, he is stuck in Flegg. With Ogden out til late in the year you cannot tell me he could not have a bench spot in Cup at least. 25mins in NSW cup is more valuable than 50mins in Flegg. Now some might say "Maybe he is not good enough", if he isn't then why jump the gun and give him a top 30 deal?

Flip flopping Talagi so much. Playing silly buggers with Sanders. Ethyn Martin showed he is raw but has talent, at least he could get a Wing spot over Lumelume. 

Only juniors getting decent development is Matt Arthur and Charlie Guymer, funnily enough those are the two who look the most ready for full-time first grade at this point, with word that Guymer is close to getting a bench spot. Go figure.

Our treatment of the great rookies we claimed to have has been poor, seems NRL is the main focus and these kids will get game time here and there and hopefully to make up for the lack of depth they can fill in numerous positions in a pinch and learn to be an NRL player later.

MA playing average 60-65mins a week at Hooker. Charlie Guymer getting 80mins either on an edge or at Lock each week. That's progression and those two are flurishing. That's what we should do with the rest.

• How many free spots do we have in our top 30?

• Well not 100% sure as I suspect a few have been upgraded. So we had 29 to start the year and let go Momoisea, Rodwell and Taumoepenu. I think we upgraded Moretti and Sanders. So must 28 now. I reckon by years end we might see MA and Guymer as last two.

• Just check the NRL site signing tracker and it lists our official squad.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize the only positive
"There's definitely something there with Talagi there is.
Hes just like any new FGer trial by fire 🔥 when you make errors in FG they get punished.
Talagi actually reminds me of a fighter he has to get hit to wake him up as he doesn't seem to be ready…"
2 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize the only positive
"Well what are you saying then? And don't speak in riddles say exactly what you mean. "
2 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize the only positive
"Yeah cause that what I wrote..., and you say you were teritary educated ?  "
3 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize the only positive
"People are delirious, the whole of the NRL community are pointing fingers at those above Arthur , people at other clubs on the frontline are saying our recruitment team and MON are not doing their jobs. Even our own players are hinting of issues…"
5 minutes ago
More…