Replies

• HOE i hear experts a few times say players like say Andrew Fifita who grew up never watching the game and not really dreaming of playing are the best players to have as the occasion doesn't get to them as much. To that i say can be true but can also be negative as it means they might not have the drive to go that extra mile either. Those types aren't striving to win a GF or represent Origin or play with or against childhood heroes. It is just a game to them.

Same with those who quiet and confident like Brown and Talagi. Both kids seem to know their talent, kids like that can fall through the cracks of relying on talent to get by when they need motivation and committment to go that next level. 

Players and playas. Player's play the game cause they love it. Playa's play the game cause they are good at it. 

• Mate I obviously haven't seen all the lower grade games but I've seen my share and I've never rated him. Personally I think JA showed far more in the lower grades than Talagi ever did and he's absolutely miles away from some of the gun kids that are creeping through the ranks at other clubs and of similar age.

It was no surprise to me to see him struggle badly in the NRL. 

That's obviously just my opinion for what it's worth. 

As an Eel fan, I hope the club doesn't get blinded by the potential and pay big dollars to keep him. I would be ecstatic he proved me wrong and had a blinder against the Broncos ! 

• Funny you should say this as I was saying to a mate the other day. Jake Arthur scored on debut and missed far less tackles in the ensuing games. And yet everyone's wanting to root this kid and despised JA.  I think if his name was Blaise Arthur we'd be hearing so much less hype on here and more hate. The kids no better than JA was at the same stage , in fact JA was a much bettter prospect.  

Neither were ready , nor the long term solution in the halves, that's the real issue. But if you're comparing the two on merits JA comes out on top going by Blaise to date. 

• Hugo, you seem to miss the point of my critique of your post i.e. you said what "he thinks", how do you know what "he thinks"?

• Rooting the kids a bit of a stretch but he still looks like he has more talent than JA ever will have Wiz...

• Mate he's missed 10456 tackles , I've been counting.  I'm just talking stat vs stat JA comes out on top at this point in time. ( fyi I get stats are not always a good yard stick ).  But statistically this dude is dogshit . Could you imagine what we'd be reading if he was an Arthur and playing like he has been.  The fans would be handing the hat around so they could offer him a contract to go and live in Beirut .  Maybe we could send him to Finchy . 

• It's not a good look for the club.

• Meh, to be honest I haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to be fazed by this. The little I have seen has shown he isn't ready for first grade, he seems to have some ability so why does he look like he should be playing under 21's?, DEVELOPMENT, or should I say lack of. 

Why is that JA was thrust into first grade at 18 yet more talented kids like talagi aren't even regular reserve graders at 19-20 when our underperformed reserve grade side has been filled with outcasts from other clubs for the past few years? This club is going nowhere in a hurry, it sickens me.

• Honestly HKF, it is something that has been beaten to death and people do not want to admit it in some areas. First off, i felt the treatment to JA was bad, it was not his fault he was being named. But at the same time, he was not very good. His debut game and the game v Manly were his only two really good games. Hindsight is great when you see us without Moses and had JA under contract for this year, but still think we don't win as many games.

But let's be fair, JA was put in due to who he was not his talent. The way he was pushed into the team and how patient BA was at times compared to rookies of the past, even with Talagi, showed bias. People can abuse me for that claim but i am happy to stand by it. But now BA is cautious with MA, even though MA is showing that he could actually be a very good Hooker in the NRL. He will debut MA later than he should due to the mistakes he made with JA being in too early.

But not just that, Sanders was messed around a fair bit. Ethyn Martin who has raw talent, needs game time and showed promise in NSW Cup finally gets the nod on the Wing after 9 rounds. Sam Tuivaiti is in Flegg, Saxson Pryke in and out of Flegg and Cup, Brazel in and out of Flegg and Cup (Even though i feel he is not much good anyway). Only players with a good and consistent development at this stage has been MA and Guymer. And guess what, out of all the juniors, who are the two you could say are the closest to being ready for week to week NRL? MA and Guymer. Funny that.

• He's been a shitshow with that aspect of promoting younger players to first grade 

this is where being a coach of a local district development side ( rhinos) has just ended up a nepotistic mess that has affected his judgement on decisions which have ultimately reached first grade .....

I know Flanagan and Cleary have had their children in the ranks but I don't actually think it's helped BA at all in his coaching - it's been a conflict of interest that has clouded his decisions over time .....

he's had enough on his plate developing as a coach with skills - he made his job that much harder combining his role with helping his sons achieve imo 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

josh jones replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion New eels team logo
"Not bad. Coincidentally it  looks a bit like Arthur."
2 hours ago
Bob Smith replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Storm vs Eels
"It's the same when the opposition is down to 12 men. The eels have no idea how to exploit a man short. "
3 hours ago
Adam Mogg replied to SEQld Eel (formely NZ Eel)'s discussion It's time to build a team that we can be proud of again!!!
"That's called accepting mediocrity "
3 hours ago
Bob Smith replied to SEQld Eel (formely NZ Eel)'s discussion It's time to build a team that we can be proud of again!!!
"The edge defence has been a problem for years and BA has no idea how to fix it. I can't think of anyone who would still be employed after failing for 11 years."
4 hours ago
More…