Round 1 is the most important game of the year

Every game during the year is important, however i feel Round 1 against Brisbane is crucial for our season. For a few reasons.

1. Brisbane are coming in as bottom 4 favourites against Parramatta who are considered around 3-8 range, though comfortable top 8 team. New coach, players off-contract, at home with a sell out crowd for first time since 2019, against a team with the mindset of being a top 4 quality team.

Where have we heard that before? 2018? i believe so. 

2. If we lose to brisbane in a decent fashion, we have to take that form into Melbourne. Low in confidence and will go in either way of playing same game and getting done or doing too much to make up for week before and losing by more. If we go back to back weeks with losses, it could snowball into effect like 2018 did, going in thinking we are better than what we actually are and start to go into a spiral in confidence and have no idea how to get out of it.

3. This has happened before and can happen again. Yes Arthur has gotten us out of it, yes it is a different and much better roster than 2018, but look at us last year, got to RD 10 at top of the world, had a bad game against Manly in RD 10 and started to play below par to abysmol. 

Having Melbourne RD 2 has made RD 1 crucial and important, picking a win against Brisbane leading to a loss against Melbourne would not be detrimental for us as a team, though picking up a shock loss to Brisbane could derail us going up against a team that requires a lot of mental and physical preparation it can assist in the snowball effect which would be reminiscent of 2018.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Start of the season is critical, our run home is a mongrel. Add a few injuries where in strife. Last 7 games we play raiders, roosters, rabbits, storm, the riff..

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nitram replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Parramatta 2024 Premiers!
"Lucky you. Positivity due to delusion in this instance is probably a good thing. Sadly, I'm a realist combined with a lover of the game, I understand it, I know when my team is cooked. They are."
5 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Mathew Clarke agree solely with you. BA has done a amazing job to bring the club back, but we are sinking at a great speed of knots. Got a tired old forward pack, injured long term backs, who should be getting rested whether they like it or not.…"
7 minutes ago
Sneaky Pete replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Parramatta 2024 Premiers!
"You must be on some pretty strong drugs. "
11 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"So you would have cayless over Mal? Muttman I thought you had a bit of sense. "
16 minutes ago
More…