Recording Acoustic Guitar/Vocals with a USB Mic

To all you 1eyedeel Musical Experts. What is the best/cheapest way to record your own vocals and acoustic guitar using a USB Mic? What equipment is needed. What recommendations for USB Mics? All suggestions/ideas welcome. Keep it clean folks no dirty, filthy, rude, sexual deviant comments please unless your a female.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You could do a one take on voice recorder software, pretty sure macs have one, just make sure it’s picking up your USB mic and not the laptop microphone and press record. So no DAW req’d.

You could have someone a bit more confident with DAW’s insert your ‘ live take’ into GarageBand or the like and apply something like a ‘extreme stereo’ filter to just give it that bit of extra clarity and presence. Would suggest a little bit of compression too.

let us know how you go!

• It depends on what you're trying to do, if you're just wanting to do a simple demo then a USB mic will suffice, if audio quality is important then a condenser will serve you better, but then you've got to power it, whereas a USB mic is phantom powered. 
        The condenser will pick up the high frequencies a lot better, but it'll also pick up everything else as well.

• Just go to your local store and chat about USB mics. There's a few decent and reasonable options for vocals and guitar/keys etc. Surprisingly simple. 
    I've  recorded a few tracks with nothing but my guitar, mic and a Mac. Really simple. 

• This reply was deleted.
    • I like them tracks Browny. Now to just get started.

• I will work on some lyrics for you Monto - you just have to put it to music.

Deal?

• So when I make a bundle of $$$$ what percentage you after? 

• Usual 25% - I am not cheap, but can guarantee you will be noticed, probably like Tiny Tim or Rodney Rude.

Here's a sample. I shot the Sherrif tune.

I shot the referee

but I forgot to shoot the linesman

Crowd was screaming, but the ref was deaf

Didn't matter, coz I shot him dead

The lineman raised a flag or two

So what do think I was left to do

I shot the refereee, but forgot to shoot the linesman

the winger was clearly out of bounds

you could hear the crowd a whining

Try was scored, the crowd went mad

It is the Storm, so you know its bad

I shot the referee, but forgot to shoot the linesman

The bunker ruled a fair try

Now the crowd began to cry

Reloaded my gun, here it comes you son

I shot the referee and didn't miss the linesman.

Platinum mate.

• I use the Steinberg UR22c Recording Pack combined with cuebase software and it is awesome. I have an electronic drum kit which I only use as triggers then asign the drum sounds from cuebase which is a lot easier than multiple mics & a cheap kit is fine because its only used as triggers to activate the better drum sounds on cuebase. Mic up guitar amps & bass running direct to Steinberg unit recording one at a time. It comes with a condensor mic and head phones as well and really easy to use.

Bought it from Guitar Factory Parramatta.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Muttman replied to Speech's discussion NRL Charges
"Did Matterson get charged?"
3 minutes ago
spartan_eel replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"Please rewatch the video of those tries. It is shocking to me. If my 10year old son did that he would be ripped into by his coach. Just screamed, lack of presence."
7 minutes ago
TolEllts replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"Lane and Sivo are playing only for their salaries, trying to avoid getting injured. They are preserving their bodies. That is why their hit-ups are soft and their tackles are softer (when they attempt to tackle). 
Lane and Sivo should be shipped out…"
8 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"Lane doesn't want to be there 
he needs to go off do his psychology and leave us the fuck alone "
10 minutes ago
More…