Despite the chatter in the background, Bailey Simmonson tried to remain focused on the Raiders.

The Eels’ newest recruit had been linked with a move to Parramatta for weeks, and while discussions seemed to cool, they were ignited again when the Raiders stepped up their pursuit of ex-Raider Nick Cotric.

In truth, Simmonson had wanted to become an Eel from the moment he chatted with Parramatta coach Brad Arthur in November.

"The move has been on the cards for a little while,” Simmonson said. “A few weeks now it’s been spoken about between the clubs but it got more serious recently.

“I’d started pre-season with the Raiders and trained for about three weeks. It wasn’t distracting. In the back of my head I knew that there was potential to move."

“Personally I used that time to get my fitness, running and gym work and get my body right regardless of if I stayed at the Raiders or the move eventuated. I knew I had to be prepared to play.”

A desire to be with his Sydney-based partner sparked the move after three successful seasons at the Raiders, which included the 2019 grand final loss to the Roosters.

Simmonson, 23, inked a three year deal and has been earmarked to fill one of the vacant wing spots left open by Blake Ferguson’s departure to rugby and Maika Sivo’s knee injury.

“Once the ball got rolling and I was happy with the move and the clubs were happy, it happened quickly,” Simmonson said. “I was glad I could get here before Christmas.

“Having a few chats with Brad I thought it would be a good fit and I was keen on it. There was no guarantee of a spot but he spoke about the different things he saw in my game and what I can improve to become the best player I can be.

“Parramatta play an attacking brand of footy and move the ball well. It was a system I thought I could flourish in.”

He linked up with his Eels teammates last week and jumped straight into ball work.

While Simmonson is looking forward to next season he is already excited about reuniting with ex-Raider Josh Hodgson.

Hodgson will join the Eels in 2023 and Simmonson knows exactly what the English international will bring to the side.

“I was really excited when I heard Hodgo (Hodgson) would be coming to Sydney,” Simmonson said. “Everyone knows what he can do on the field but no one sees the leadership and mentoring he provides to the younger boys. I know when I joined the Raiders as a younger bloke, he took me under his wing and made me feel comfortable.

“He will be massive for the club in terms of leadership and guidance for the younger boys.”

Another ex-Raider Curtis Scott is still awaiting clearance from the NRL to join the Eels ahead of next season.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Perham will still be second choice fullback. Well I hope so. 

• I think he has to show us more than he has EA, I don't think he is anywhere good enough yet. Matter of fact I would prefer to see Perham in the halves in Reserve Grade to try and add some depth there.....Russell could then play fullback,  I think in the long run Russell will offer more there than Perham as a fullback....Perham in turn is I think built to be more suitable to half........just an early view.

I am very worried that if one of our halves gets injured we would have to rely on JA. That spells disaster and a repetition of our demise last year.

• I would love to see Perham as a strike centre. Been quite vocal about that

• No he won't Trent.

• Yeah nah there's no way BA will be changing the spine nek year. Unless if there's injuries.

• The Eels play an attacking brand of football. 

Did i miss something in 2021

Storm 861 points

Rabbits 839points

We are down in 7th for points on 600 points.

Hell even the Titans scored more points then us.

• Titans are a very good attacking side (Titans) BE....have another look at them....it's their defence that lets them down...

• mmmmmm we are hardly known as possessing an attacking brand of football Pops. Sure we have our moments but  they were few and far between at times.

• Yes. Was puzzled by that one. He may be in for a shock. 

• Yep, thought the exact same thing.  Brad must have told him that! LOL

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Eli Stephens replied to EA's discussion Line up afterthe bye
"1. Gutho 
2. Sivo 
3. Penisini 
4. Harper 
5. Bailey 
6. Sanders
7. Brown 
8. Rcg 
9. Lussick 
10. Paulo 
11. Matto
12. Carty 
13. Hopgood 
14. Hands 
15.  Joe O 
16.  Taulagi 
17.   Moretti "
4 minutes ago
My Bob replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Parramatta 2024 Premiers!
"About as much chance as the son of the fictional God having his second coming

"
7 minutes ago
Eelvangelist replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"Very good "
20 minutes ago
Eelvangelist replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Parramatta 2024 Premiers!
"Be blessed!"
22 minutes ago
More…