Jakob Arthur: Worst Case Scenario

10829718258?profile=RESIZE_400x

The case for keeping Jakob on the bench is that, should Mitchell Moses suffer an injury or concussion, we would not have adequate cover for the halfback role.

The outcome of this hypothetical situation appears to have escaped our industrious coach but for those who saw the first week of the finals, we have the benefit of knowing how the outcome of the projected worst case scenario would play out if it eventuated. Week one of the finals, Moses did get injured against the Panthers, Arthur did play, we did lose and Arthur failed to make a significant impact.

It's fair to assume that if Moses was to succumb to injury early in any match, we would have little chance of getting the job done, even with Jakob inserted in his stead.

To decide that carrying a spare half (not a utility either) into the game in lieu of choosing a second rower (with or without ball-playing skills) is a profound underestimation of the panthers forward pack. They will tire us and they will beat up our forwards and given the stakes, one wound assume there will be some concussions.

Ask yourself the question, what is more likely? Just one of our 9 forwards gets injured or Moses gets injured early and has to leave the field for the rest of the game?

Not accounting for any injury, our pack playing 80 minutes against the minor premiers wouldn't be an easy feat (even with an extra forward on the bench). So this begs the question, why would anyone in their right mind pick a backup half instead of an extra forward?

Penrith have several danger men who will take full advantage of tired forwards and the gaps they leave in the final minutes of the game. If you know for a fact your forwards will be exhausted and you merely speculate that your halfback will leave the field, you're not looking after your players and you're not respecting the opposition. 

I'm not claiming to know that BA doesn't have several other legitimate or compelling reasons for playing his son but on the face of it, none of the reasons for choosing Jakob ahead of another forward come close to outweighing the reasons to replace him.

I write this as a genuinely concerned fan and not to throw shade at a young and talented footballer. He is not far enough along in his development to lead the Eels to the Premiership on his own, especially playing opposite Nathan Cleary.

No one can make the point that a player who has tallied up a mere 5 rounds worth of game-time this year has somehow earned a spot in the grand final. I'm not asserting Nepotism is the reason behind his selection but the stated reasons are not compelling. I am struggling to fathom the logic of BA in light of his sons inexperience.

Considering that this is the biggest game we have played in 13 years and most of us here are old enough and ugly enough to remember that it's been 36 long years since our last Premiership, our coach should have enough respect for the players and the fans to do everything in his power to field the best team and to get the job done.

I'm not saying we can't win with 16 men but it sure feels like BA is making it that much harder by selecting a player that will more than likely sit on the bench for the entire match.

We don't want Sunday to end in more heartache, we need this win and it will mean the world to all of us. I need to know that the Eels fans have at least thought similarly about this and want to fill the side with our best 17, not 16 handicapped by an emergency replacement.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Ww have to trust the process now mate. Brad got us here. Jake may be the weakest link but we're 80 minutes from being champions. 

• Your on the wagon aswell are you BA is definitely sabotaging the teams chances I mean that makes sense get to the GF to lose it off a bunch of fans perception on 1 selection.

Get over yourself the coach knows a bit more than you do.

• Agree 100%.

• What has Brad Arthur helping Nuikore and his family which is truly highly commendable and admirable and displays the very kind qualities Brad Arthur has as a human being. It has however absolutely nothing to do with the selection of his son on the bench. Why do you think Brad picked Jake in the team? 

• So what it tells me and he did this with Kieran Foran he sticks with and trust guys he brings to the team.Hence why players like his son reward that trust.They go in do there jobs Parra win and life's good.

Are you missing something that's been staring at you for years.Why is it you think BA picks certain types of players.

• Here's the thing I don't care who is on the bench if Mitch goes down we're stuffed regardless.

Jake gives us a bit of a chance Jacob can kick and pass and let the others try win the game unfortunately he's a defensive liability but again if Mitch goes down we're stuffed anyway. 

If Reed goes down then Jake can fill in his defence is less of an issue in the middle as he can make front on tackles and his service isn't the worst.

If Gutho goes down Jake moves into the halves and Brown or Moses go to fullback and we still have a glimmer of hope 

We all hope he doesn't get on the field not because he can't play but because that means we didn't need him. 

• I seriously was trying me hardest to stay out of this crap, because I'm just trying to enjoy the grand final.

But it blows my mind, how people are so wedded to what is almost amounting to ideology that you can't accept a few simple facts.

BA wants his best forwards to play 60 minutes and his edges to play 80 minutes. They have been prepared to play 60 minutes+ since the start of this season. You are not "handicapped"  by having world-class forwards play as many minutes as they are physically capable of. That's the strategy that has gotten to us, to a fucking grand final for crying out loud.

The strategy affords Parramatta the luxury of playing two low-minute reserves. BA can use these strategically, because neither are intrinsic to our primary game plan. He has used multiple players in the third forward role, based on who we're playing. Cartwright, Makaota and Brown all have different things going for them.

Then you want a utility who is going to cover key positions, and mean that the rest of the team has to change as little as possible. So asking Matto for example to shift to six is dumb because he is key to our middle. Cartwright is quite simply not a half, anymore, and asking Gutherson to move into the halves and say use Simmonson on the edge means that all our structures will go up in smoke, because Gutherson is so crucial to all of them.

Like I've said every time I've commented on this, JA may not be the ideal player, but he's really the only player we have. He's been in the squad all year, played first grade games and I'm sure has spent the last six weeks do nothing but training to fill in wherever he is needed. 

In the end, it's just tiring. Pull this shit out, if we lose the game because we have one too forward on the bench but as it stands BA's selections and philosophy has gotten us to a GF.

• Stop making sense tbtk :)

• Matto for example to shift to six is dumb because he is key to our middle. have you watched  Matto in the opposition redzone? Effectively being a used as a ball playing half, Matto at 5/8 doesn't change his game one bit -  anyway JA getting zero minutes is the ideal outcome 

• Ugh, seriously? Have you watched any football this year, and realised that almost all teams - including us - play their lock as first receiver, which allows the halves to get wider and work as second receivers. So if Matto goes to five-eighth, someone else has to fill that role. Now, I'll grant you with Browny's inclusion it is more doable this year, but the whole goal should be to meddle as little as possible to a team that has made a grand final.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Hugo replied to Troy Wade's discussion Sivo
"Damn if we could only replicate 4 more Guthos. He has more footy smarts than all the team put together. 
We have a young winger who is definitely worth a run but BA won't play him in Cup let alone in the top grade. 
I'd get rid of Russell that's for…"
1 minute ago
Michael W. replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Have you looked at his premiership coaching record, don't take any notice of his rep record, every man and his dog knows that it was and is his assistants that do all the work. Like I said, the Titans have been trying to get rid of him for 18mths,…"
2 minutes ago
SLIPPERY33L replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"I know.. it sucks, especially that Manly have NEVER gotten the spoon... as much as I hate them I respect them for that... it's what we, Parra, need to harness.. That desire not to be losers, no matter what!!! "
2 minutes ago
1986 replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Surely Gutho with his jelly legs can't be our best goal kicker. We gave up 10 points in missed goals, maybe it keeps us in the game longer in the 2nd half. 2 sin bins killer us.
Sanders did well, his attack and defence was better than both blaze and…"
2 minutes ago
More…