“It was probably one of the weirdest situations I’ve ever been a part of,” Brown told the Herald.

“I’d just re-signed at the club and a few months later they are telling me to look elsewhere. It was a bit of a weird situation. Everything happens for a reason and, if it wasn’t for that, I wouldn’t be at a club like the Roosters.

“There were a few explanations but, at the end of the day, I can’t control their explanations or the way they do things.

“I can only control what I can control, and that is turning up day in and day out for my teammates and having a great attitude.

“Their decisions are up to them; I can’t control that. That was the club I was employed at, at the time. Now that I’m looking back, I’m glad it happened and have an opportunity at the Roosters.”

In his first year at Parramatta in 2017, Brown won the Ken Thornett Medal as the club’s best player and became a cult hero among fans because of his hard-charging style. His stocks rose higher when he made his State of Origin debut in the 2020 series, which led to him re-signing on a two-year contract the following season.

Soon afterwards, the former Rabbitohs and Wests Tigers forward was told he was surplus to requirements. Last year he made only 14 first-grade appearances, his last coming when he earned a shock recall for the grand final after being dropped following round 17.

Asked about his relationship with coach Brad Arthur, Brown remained diplomatic.

“I’ve got a good relationship with everyone but, at the end of the day, he’s the coach, he’s the boss,” Brown said. “It’s his decision, and it is what it is. It’s his call.

“There is something to prove, but not to Parramatta.

“I’ve got a point to prove to myself and my new teammates and my new club. I’ve moved on to a club I’m really excited about.

“That is in the past now; I can only concentrate on my future. I want to build trust with my teammates and around the club.”

Brown will bolster a Roosters pack decimated by injuries. The Italy international will provide depth and experience while Angus Crichton, Sitili Tupouniua and Matt Lodge are unavailable, although a hamstring injury will sideline him for several weeks, including for what would have been a spicy clash against the Eels in round five.

The 30-year-old is contracted to the tricolours until the end of this season, but believes his new team will bring out the best in him. And that, Brown hopes, will result in another Origin call-up.

“I’m very lucky and grateful a club like the Roosters gave me an opportunity,” Brown said. “I want to play my best footy that saw me in the Origin side.

“I want to get back into that arena and I believe the Roosters will allow me to do that. I think I can get back to that with such a great club and great coach in Trent Robinson.

“Once you get a phone call from Robbo and the Roosters, you just have to jump at the opportunity.

“I was really excited when my manager told me they were interested. I couldn’t wait to get that phone call from Robbo to see what he had to say.

“He explained himself really well, and now I have to get on the park and play some footy for him.

“It’s a quality club with quality players and a quality coach. I want to work hard so I can be back playing that Origin style of footy.”

Having been a member of the Parramatta side that lost the 2022 grand final, Brown believes he can go a step further with the Roosters.

“We have got a great bunch of talent at the Roosters,” he said. “I’ve only been there for two days but can see why they are a successful club. One day I would love to win a comp. Everyone knows the talent and the potential at the Roosters is through the roof, their culture and the leadership shows why they are a successful club.”

As for a clash against his former team, Brown will have to wait until a round 25 encounter at CommBank Stadium.

“It will be a good one, good fun coming in against your ex-teammates,” he said. “I’m sure it will be a fun occasion."

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I moved on from Brown halfway through last year.After he had that last injury he was never the same player he was when we first signed him.

I think a bit of it was the above but I think when some players get that payday they exhale a bit and never really regain that form when they were playing for a contract.The chip on there shoulders gone.

• I bet he will be great under Trent Robinson

• Roosters clearly weren't interested until they had injuries. He's been free to negotiate for a long time now and was never linked to the Roosters before this. He'll cover for injuries but that's about it. I remember Shawn Blore owning him in his first or 2nd game and he's done nothing since.

Ran out of the line frequently looking to put a big hit on that often went wrong or left a hole in defence. Failed at origin, onto his 5th club and getting injuries. Will never understand why we resigned him

• This site is consistent. When Brown plays for Parra he's a has been, over the hill old man who's best days are well behind him. Now he's a Rooster he'll kill it, probably play Origin again and we are the worst club imaginable for letting him leave. 

• He'll play for Australia  under Robinson and im talking starting 13 Muttman 

• Exhibit A. Lol

• Haha, funny stuff Muttman. It's too early to tell, imo. 

Is Browny over the hill, a warrior's battered body just about done, or was his drop in form at the Eels more mental (Arthur related)?

We'll find out (as will BA) soon enough.

• Haha 😛😛🤩🤩😁😁

• Let's sign brown for 580 for another 2 years and a few months later tell him his not wanted 🤦‍♂️ while letting the likes of Mahoney and papli go 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Storm
"Graham this is our problem though right Guymer MA and Talagi are among the best of our youngsters coming through we have not much behind them if we aren't resigning them what and who do we.
Its how we end up the depth we have short of raiding…"
1 minute ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Storm
"This is why we are in the mess with the roster now. Over paying players to keep them. It's time the Eels started to dictate contract negotiations."
6 minutes ago
HKF replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Storm
"No way we should pay talagi $500k. He is 2-3 years away from being worth that IF he continues to improve. If another club wants to pay him now then let them."
7 minutes ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Storm
"Why, Arthur hasn't proven he is FG, Guymer looks good but has played 70 minutes of FG.
How about Ryles put his time into talking to players who want to be in the blue and gold."
12 minutes ago
More…