Brad Arthur press conference

Another embarassing defeat.

I thought Brad Arthur's comments in the after match press conference revealed a lot about what is going on at the Eels.
Firstly he was clearly frustrated and there were indications that he was "Out of answers"

The following comment was particularly telling. Arthur was talking about the players making "soft choices,"
to which he then added "The players have to fix it. We can only talk about it so many times. 
The players have to fix it don't they."

The comment clearly suggests that Arthur was not just referring to the players attitude in this particular match, it indicates
that he has noticed this "attitude" over a significant period of time.

The comment also indicates that he has spoken to the players about this a number of times. The frustation in Arthur's  voice indicates that whatever way he has attempted
to address this has not worked. It has not made a consistent impact among the greater part of the playing group. This seems to indicate that there are
some players who aren't happy with the way Arthur has gone about this.  

The sub text of what Arthur is saying is that there are a number of disgruntled players among the playing group.
A few disgruntled players can affect the whole team dynamic as everyone knows.

The best "man manager" coaches know how to address this.

It would seem, based on these comments that Arthur cannot be placed in that
category.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yep won't happen especially as they've just announced Lomax...

They will extend him now for fear of Lomax  backflipping and any potential player unrest if he isn't extended.

• Player unrest? if he's lost the players already wouldnt that suggest there the unrest is already there?

wouldnt removing him help to solve that?

i wonder if the club would also allow anything tying Lomax to BA? Signing new coaches takes time and you would assume already in the works if that was the way the club wanted to go.

If he does and the players want out too, the bue see ya later. Free up cap space and let a new coach build a proper team

• We assume the players have stopped listening to him but have they really or do they know that he wont do anything?

This team will most likely win next week just to prove the knockers wrong. That's unacceptable now and regardless of the players digging in for the coach, BA has shown he's cooked and must be replaced.

• I think Arthur has hit the nail on the head here in that this is an attitude problem. It would seem that the issue could be that the players are too comfortable and not pressured to put in 100% ever week. I don't believe this to be the result of disgruntled players however.

• Well who's to blame Longfin? Must be the fans definitely not the coach.

• The attitude is definitely on the coach. He needs to nurture that culture of players doing their job well 100% of the time, and looking for ways that they can turn the game around. The best teams do this consistently. We don't see that often enough at Parra. Why is the attitude so poor? As I said, they are too comfortable as a result of a lack of quality backups. That is on the club to fix.

• Him saying it's an attitude problem is like saying we will be taxed and die. It's as obvious as obvious as anything's ever been.  We've had an attitude problem for decades.  In my opinion it's because 

a) we don't recruit any leaders from winning cultures. 
      b) because we've had poor choice captains 

The only times we've been a true complete football team us when we've recruited guys like the Canterbury 4 , Jason Taylor , etc.   recruiting culture is the key to success . Besides Penrith who hit a lucky patch of homegrown talent , most other clubs thatve dominsted have recruited real talent.  We don't , and shock horror , we just can't win a comp. It's not a coincedence. 

• Spot on mate, the parasite's taking this club for a big ride, its absolute misery to watch knowing full well whats going to happen.

Brads a weak coach at the end of the day and he's just not smart enough to get the big wins

• For the 1st time last night i felt like the boys gave up and didnt play for their coach. 

I'm glad BA ripped into them at the press conference, they players need to be put on notice.

I'm embarassed to be an eels supporter today.

• What is important in what you do? Jack Gibson,Terry Fearnley are probably the coaches with Parra who left a distinct historical presence to me and a Legacy of my memories of my attachment with Parra. Maybe a statement of my innocent impressionable age at the time or maybe what's wrong with the materialism of our expectations in the modern world.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"I would still do it, I doubt they would all go and the ones that did you would have to ask if you even still want them anyway. If BA stays we are sliding further into the abyss anyway. "
55 seconds ago
christeel replied to christeel's discussion behalf of the sick the elderly and the miserable.
"pea & ham such a wonderful  treat , also  great  for  ailments. "
1 minute ago
Frank The Tank replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"Maybe his brother...."
1 minute ago
Frank The Tank replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"Absolutely.
If losing BA means we lose 90% of the squad - I'm all in.
Imagine how exciting it will be next year? New coach, a new squad and a new era "
2 minutes ago
More…