511: The Mysterious Tale Of A Soft Underbelly?

And to think we appeared on the right track only a week ago; but, is a deeper cultural problem? 

If there's one thing that savages coaches and political animals, more than the political animals - its the fans.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well there you go. That answers that. The question, you ask? Well, that's obvious, should Arthur be sacked? The answer?No! There's no point sacking anyone. We're doomed regardless of anything anyway.

• Nitram, Coaches get sacked all the time. Look at last year's merry go round.You don't need to worry about that. And there's going to be plenty of sack Arthur posts and blogs to wet people's appetite.

Long before Arthur was coach, I still believed we were too "soft". And relied on razzle dazzle pretty football to win. We weren't good at being tough.

Personally, what we are lacking at the club, first and foremost is a strong leader type. The Strong Clubs have strong leader.

• Look HOE if that were against any other side of almost be prepared to declare that season over. But the storm are such a well drilled unit and they were obviously amped to the max to knock that one out of the park by Bellamy. Usually what he asks he gets. They are also at least a million dollar better side across the park. I say at least because I believe that’s their declared third party payments figure.

the reality is there are probably only 3 sides who can win this thing but we can still make the semis and then anything can happen. Let’s jusf look for some good home form and maybe the injury gods will smile on us for a change. 

• Michael Ericson, This site is lucky to have your well balanced mind.

I agree. Probably 12 out of the 16 clubs would have had at least 50 points put on them as well, the way Storm were playing. They were on. Full battle mode.

But we played like spooners.

The Storm were red-hot and probably seething after a few below par soft games. And they were ready to nuke us. And nuke us they did. There was a great line to describe Nagasaka after the Yanks dropped a bomb. Thats's how I felt.

It was a graveyard, without any tombstones. In our case, perhaps there are a few tombstones.

• Most expected us to be near the bottom of the ladder with others thinking we could be  fighting for one of the bottom 2 spots and in the 8.  We are currently amongst the group on equal points 5th to 8th so we are where we expected to be or above expectations..  

Do we have issues obviously but only a few weeks ago the media were calling for us to resign BA and Parra were on the up.   I don't really think anyone expected us to be able the compete with roosters, Melbourne or rabbits if they play to their potential so all the doomsday crap is over the top.  As  ba previous blog stated we definitely have issues away from home when it comes to effort we are puting in.  Obviously we need to change something whether that be travel earlier and have a mini camp before a game or get a sports psychologist in to help.  Players don't lose skill but motivation and commitment even if down a little bit can make massive difference.  The club stated they were going to give BA the support he needed and s discussed in the offseason many asked if we had high quality member of staff for this role. Brent Robinson credited Brad Stubbs for getting the best out of his team last year and other teams have high quality people in these roles.  

We also need to address our poor starts.  Are we not warming up enough as other sides seem to have the jump on us early.  Against average sides we can turn it around but as seen with roosters, Raiders and storm they grow in confidence when in front and are rarely run down.  They also control possession better the. Others causing fatigue where most of their points came late.  Although storm were all over us early they only scored a couple tries and we scored 1 on our first real opportunity over first 25-30minutes

The club is standing firm and if we continue the trend of alternating wins and losses I doubt BA will be here next year.  The problem we have is we have 2 winnable games next against cowboys and penrith and then with momentum against rabbits if we pull off a win or even play like we did against the roosters the media speculation on resigning BA will start again.  Especially as the timeline fits with when club would make judgement.  I think 2 from next 3 would see us in 5th or 6th place

I don't think we should sack him yet but hopefully the club is having discrete talks with someone like Anthony Griffin or Demetriou and if we fall out of the 8 by a game or 2 (not points differential) I think that would be the time to get rid of him.  As for next year we don't know what discussions have occured between the club and BA.  No doubt there would be KPIs to be achieved not just wins and losses so it is possible a decision has already been made however the club has seemed to stop all leaks so we don't know.

• Fake Midget, Good points. I too expected us in the bottom eight pre-season and never expected Arthur would have a chance at being with us 2020. But 511 has put him back on death row. Dead man walking. Again.

The problem we have is we don't have a strong leader at the club. We don't have a Politis or Emperor. If we sack Arthur unless we get a Gibson, or Bellamy or Bennett, we'll end up in a not too disimilar position a few years down the track.

• We lack a strong leader at the club. And our on-field culture is too Jeckyl and Hyde.

The Rosters have Politis. The Storm have Bellamy, backed by the cluey businesspeople. The Broncos had Bennett (Gibson recommended him to the Maranta group). Souths now have Bennett. They also have Crowe. And Packer.

We had The Emperor and Gibson.

Brian Smith, could have been an old time great coach, with us winnng a few more premierships as he had a great mind, but he played too many f###n mind games causing uncertainty and distractions. Too old school teacher. The players have said as much. Smith was a teacher. The greatest coaches are mentors and teachers. Who never stop learning learning. And listen to their students, and the players, is part of that. That's why Smith didn't get there. Ever. Is Arthur a great coach? No. He's got some of the most essential qualities. A relationship builder. Robinson isn't a Gibson either. But he's a great relationship builder.

• What relationships is B.A. building. They dont care about one another or the coach. Result 10/64 There is no pride in the club.

Time for rebuilding. We signed good recruits this year lets keep buiding on it. Don't resign players who don't perform under fire, whether they are young or old.

• The winnibg percentage looks reasonable., but no mention of the horrendous losses suffered under his stewardship.

• Keith, LOL. Thanks for the reply. Mate I didn't have the time, but there's a few good sources if you want more stats.

But, if you're referring to Arthur, his winning percentages are not good. I'd have trouble sleeping with those. No wonder Arthur hasn't slept in 5 years.

And I have mentioned our horrendous losses. The Best of the Worst. 511 is equal second worst points conceded in 72 years. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Parra_Greg's discussion Our New Middle Forwards ?
"Penrif "
3 minutes ago
Marty replied to Parra_Greg's discussion Our New Middle Forwards ?
"Zyon for sure, reminds me of an angry Kane Evans, better player tho and Tom good too"
3 minutes ago
BEM replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"At his best, he is one of the best in the NRL."
4 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"Does Tago have a future as a NRL winger ? "
5 minutes ago
More…