1Eyed Eel

Parramatta Eels Supporters Website

I'm just going to assume that we have around 1.5 million in the cap for 2018. What do we do with it?

Re-Signings

I reckon we upgrade Nathan Brown until 2020 on 600k. At the moment he is under 200k and he will be in demand for next season. Cameron King is another key player we need to re-sign. He has been playing well enough to get an extension, and possibly have him start with Kaysa come off the bench. Willis Meehan, Marata Niukore, Kirisome Auva'a, Honeti Tuha, George Jennings and David Gower are also players that should be re-signed by the club. Gutherson could also do with an upgrade. Semi Radradra also needs to be brought back from France around round 10

Players to Sign

A decent prop is probably the most required signing, but there is no great options out on the market. Kevin Naiqama is not wanted by the Tigers and could be injury cover. Hooker is also a position we might be interested in but the best out there is Michael Lichaa or Dylan Plythian 

Any other ideas?

Views: 3043

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Holy smokes! Are you Scott Seward in disguise? That's a lot of money you are spraying around there ... without any improvement to the current squad.

We need to focus on prop / size as a priority + hooker. If there are no good blokes available next year I like the front loading idea - max the cap in 18 and free up more for when quality comes on the market.

What makes you think we have $1.5 spare? Why would we give contracted blokes more money? Bernie won't be sleeping tonight ...
Jimbo if I'm honest we need to put all our eggs in development market this will protect us against the cap and we stay in house instead of fighting market forces.

Coryn the Eels actually did something similar like that back in the early to mid 90's and it was absolutely disastrous for the club. Without doubt some of the darkest days in our history getting lapped by 50 + consistently.

For my 2 bobs worth it's actually a combination of Jnrs mixed with seasoned hard nose NRL stars that will give you the best result. A coach can only do so much for the Jnrs coming through they look up to the leaders on the field and will follow.

JJ all that tells me is the guys we had picking and developing that talent weren't the right guys pure and simple.

I agree with being strategic with picking your experience though.

I just don't like the idea of continually going to the market for the marque names and talent when all is said and done we are in an area that generates a lot of that talent.

We just have to have the right guys to I.D and develop it.

It's very similar what the issue is at the Warriors they need to stop recruiting the biggest strongest fastest guys and go down the path of having a look at a guy's character and pick actual footy players.

I also follow the Atlanta Falcons in the NFL they have a scale what is called a CT scale which measures competitiveness and toughness this over rules most things they want when they pick there players and they also go for system fits within the mentioned scale and that's how they get the recruiting right.

I think that's what Parra and the mentioned need to follow a similar process but one that fits us best.

Coryn, no what that tells you is we have tried what you suggested and it didn't work. The percentages of Jnrs that transition to grade are small they reduce even further for those that are good enough to make 1st grade.

I have followed NFL for many years and the Miami Dolphins, Dan Marino was statistically one of the greatest college and NFL QB's to play the game, yet he never won a super bowl. The US has a population of over 280mill. College football is nearly as big as the NFL in terms of crowds and revenue.

You need to put things in perspective that we are a country of what 25mill and talent is not as abundant as in the US per capita . Putting all your eggs into the Jnr development program is not the way to go and extremely high risk. Been there done that as the saying goes!!!

We are going to have to agree to disagree I think we need to try harder and do better.

Obviously numbers are key but I'm still think development needs to be key for the Eels to move foward.

I mean closer to home how good are the Melbourne Storm going under Bellamy with there development they understand Smith Slater Cronk are on the way out but they have recruited well and are reloading while bring these guys through under the above mentioned.

But they too me are the benchmark in the NRL and development seems to have been the best way to go about it.

Just think we need to readdress it.It may have failed during the last time we tried but there's no reason not revisit it and just do the job better.

I tend to agree JJ. Even in the early 80s when we had probably the best local juniors coming through we still had strategic imports (Steve Edge was a very astute purchase). I think over the past 10 years or so we have let too many good juniors go and kept the underachievers. Lets hope that the club can better identify the ones to keep, and balance this out with good purchasing. Even if they do go elsewhere, we will want to send them off with a view to maybe coming back some time (like Moses).

Basically my reasoning is that I read somewhere earlier on in the season that we had approx 3 million for next season. Moses and Kane Evans have signed and NRL is making the cap smaller than expected so 1.5 was my approx number
You mean lunatics run the asylum Roger that I'll leave you too it.lol.
Thank you Jimbo, some common sense. Brown will get paid, but there is no rush.
Brown isnt worth $600k. That's origin Rep money. He's been great this season, but it's his breakout season and he can't command anywhere near that money until he has 2-3 seasons like this under his belt.
$350k, sure
I'd throw some money at Dave Taylor
I think BA can turn him around.. has been good for raiders this year

Need to resign Semi.
Resign King
Kevin naiqama wouldn't be a bad signing

RSS

© 2017   Created by 1Eyed Eel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service