Kangaroos second-rower Angus Crichton is free to play for Sydney Roosters in the opening round against the Dolphins after being permitted to serve his World Cup suspension in the pre-season.

Kangaroos second-rower Angus Crichton is free to play for Sydney Roosters in the opening round against the Dolphins after being permitted to serve his World Cup suspension in the pre-season.

Crichton received a two-match ban for striking Toa Samoa hooker Chanel Harris-Tavita with his elbow in the World Cup final at Old Trafford but the suspension was halved on appeal.

He will avoid missing a premiership match by serving the one match ban in the opening round of the NRL Pre-season Challenge against the Storm in Geelong on February 12.

The 26-year-old could play the following weekend at Gosford against Manly and will be available for the historic NRL debut of the Dolphins, who are set to become the Telstra Premiership's 17th team next year.

Players suspended in the NRL are required to serve their bans in premiership fixtures, with Ryan Matterson (Eels), Francis Molo (Dragons), Mat Croker (Knights), Taane Milne (Rabbitohs) and Brian Kelly (Titans) set to miss the start of the season. 

However, Crichton's ban falls under the jurisdiction of the International Rugby League, which permits pre-season matches to be included.

A clause in the NRL judiciary code allows for the disciplinary policy of the body which handed down the suspension to be applied and Crichton has been cleared to serve his ban during the new pre-season competition. 

Meanwhile, Matterson and Kelly will miss the opening three rounds of the Telstra Premiership, while Milne, Molo and Croker each have two matches to serve at the start of the 2023 competition and Milne has one.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Fucking hell.

I had him in our firsts team.

• I think we can call it official.

• Yeah NRL favouritism on show once more an absolute shambles 🤬

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Parramatta Tragic replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"Didn't I read recently where Parramatta Council has become a sponsor of the Eels? Maybe part of that agreement was that in return they had someone on the football club Board?"
8 minutes ago
Poppa replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"Actually Wiz, I have a degree for you, its based in Antartica and is called 30 degrees minus. I initially thought the Arctic but then realised you coud run into Santa Claus and every one knows you would have got up him over the options in Moses and…"
13 minutes ago
Poppa replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"Tad, have you seen the ages of the two Presidential candidates, if you can coach the strongest country in the free world, you should be able to run 30 simpletons through a NRL season. 
Its not like Benny is running laps with the players.....look at…"
33 minutes ago
Poppa replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"Spot on EA but as usual, we wait until its too late, all of a sudden he is a KEY man for the Roosters again.
Sometimes with the out of form players that come good. especially after an injury, it is worthwhile doing some investigations to create an…"
47 minutes ago
More…