Who Replaces Coach IF he Goes?

Obviously it seems everyone wants Wayne Bennett even Paul Kent was indicating Bennett would likely go to the Eels. My only concern with Bennett is he generally doesn't stay long at whatever club he goes to except of course the Broncos. It also generally appears that after Bennett has left each club he's gone to tends to nose dive worse and takes awhile to get back on track. I think if Bennett did come to Parra he would have to stay minimum 3 yrs. I wouldn't mind Maguire or Neil Henry either

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If only we had a saddle and a tail

• Haha!

• You got the tail, I got the saddle?

• Josh hannay 

• Bennett and only Bennett. Give him a part ownership of the leagues club if need be

• I actually do not think we are a hard sell for Bennett. Just giving him control might be hard for the board.

• BA is not going anywhere this year despite what all the experts on here want to do with their wish list.

If BA goes it will be orderly and with a structure of a replacement behind it. There is too much work to do to just walk out, e.g. the season is not over, so it makes it difficult to have Bennett involved outside of an expression of interest from both parties.

Slater and Cronk are not interested, especially with no football head in place. O'Neill may walk and then the replacement for him and if we are fair dinkum it will be someone with real experience that can direct our board. Our board in the first instance needs to be open to change.....can anyone tell me the signs? Frank Ponissi is committed for this season. Someone like him to come in requires real management, who's going to do that?

My guess is the board will go to Brad and say times up, now can you tell us what we should do!

• I don't think BA should leave before the end of the season and should have the rest of the season to maybe perform a miracle. Like him or not he has given 11yrs to this club, taken us from the depths of the depths, developed and brought in a few decent players (Gutho, Moses, RCG, ICE to name a few) and tried his hardest. You don't have to agree with how he did it but I don't think anyone can really say he didn't try and give it his all. Sometimes things just don't pan out how you thought they would and you accpet it and move on. 

I don't hate BA or wish any ill will on him. I am most likely one of the few who have supported him the entire way and wish him nothing but the best for the rest of this season and beyond. I just know that his time at the Eels has to come to an end because waiting till next season and maybe getting Lomax isn't going to change a hole lot. 

The soft underbelly of the Eels, crumbling when the pressure is on has been a constant for his entire time with the club and it is not something he is able to change, at least at this club. Sometimes a change is the best thing and it certainly will be in this case for both the club and him.

• I am with you Matthew. He has done a great job and has made us a consistently good team again, just not good enough. I wouldn't give him the whole season. I'd give him 8-10 games. That gives him a chance to perform a miracle and get the guys to really play for him. If he fails you the get a caretaker coach in for the last 8 or so games when the season is done. Announce a 2025 coach - hopefully Bennett, and you have a solid squad to go after 2025 with. 

BA has always done his best and despite what people on this site say, he has improved plenty of players. You only have to see the rise of Cartwright, Gutho and Mitch Moses to see players do improve dramatically under him. He will add plenty of value to any club as an assistant or defense coach and could even rebuild another NRL team as head coach. But as you say, if the Eels dont dig their way out of this one the club must act in it's own interests. Of all the social media posts, this site etc that I have read, I think nearly every fan is calling for his head. There is little support. Why? Because we have been through this many times in the last 11 years. High hopes come crashing down as injuries or weaknesses are exposed. In the 11th year you just know its time to give someone else a crack! Give him notice now! See if he's got one last fight in him!

• I have not seen this much attention on coaching change before. Only other time was perhaps 2022 where the Fittler rumour came up but we weren't doing too bad then. Now i think it is getting louder and louder the more it is happening now.

I think a hammering on Saturday and a deadline could appear sooner than later. Could be a Brian Smith type thing where he goes mid year and quits. We will let him see out the year if he wants but doubt he would want to. As a hammering and losing to Dolphins and Manly, 5 in a row could see BA in firing line as Demetriou would be gone and attention is all on him and the club. If they lose next 3 and then have Brisbane and Melbourne could make it 7 if not careful then he is definately gone.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

SuperEel 22’s discussion was featured
If Brad Arthur were deposed tomorrow, you'd hardly find an Eels fan who would disagree.
Only 18 months after a somewhat unexpected grand final appearance, Parramatta's fall from grace has been swift and brutal.
A massive injury toll cruelled their…
1 minute ago
SuperEel 22 posted a discussion
If Brad Arthur were deposed tomorrow, you'd hardly find an Eels fan who would disagree.
Only 18 months after a somewhat unexpected grand final appearance, Parramatta's fall from grace has been swift and brutal.
A massive injury toll cruelled their…
5 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"Yeah, Pops.
Taking a wild guess, the fact she's a woman and not a dummie (despite what some think), probably helped.
I'm trying to figure out the game of musical chairs: why Sue flip-flops between boards. Or is it a few typos on our website…"
6 minutes ago
xxRustyxx_69 replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"That's a horrible idea. I'm all for sacking brad arthur but we can't get rid of 90%. If we did that no finals footy for at least 3-4 years. We would be going backwards in a big way."
7 minutes ago
More…