2015  was the disaster year when the shit hit the fan, we lost points, million dollar fines, unloading of players for salary cap bungles.

It was said it will be years before Parra can catch up and adjust into being a competitive force.

Well it was addressed with the appoinment of Brad Arthur and  within the confines of the resources, nobody expected us to come out so quickly from those doldrums. 2018 was a hiccup and the coaching and resources were adequate up to that stage. This was probably the step back we had to have, but it also involved change and BA misread this change. Subsequent events shows these type of changes in rules and strategies were his achillies heal.

Subsequent success basically pinacled in 2021 when the window was supposedly open, but essentially we weren't good enough. The worst thing that happened was the miracle of 2022 and a grand final and the delusion of success. It was really that 22 season where we were starting to falter inclusive of the destabilisation of the Jake Arthur scenario. At this time we were all seeing what we are saying now, we saw the signs last year and this year is shaping as a disaster. Shit happens, no need to crucify anyone, which is the mentality of a lot on here. I am sure everyone was/is doing their best. Just not good enough.

Its time now to look at that in reflection and move on. I have never thought that we had a roster that would win us a competetion, I looked at the positives and was optimistic, the pros and cons were always subjective.

The club has faltered now and lets see and give it the chance to rebalance. Taking positive steps rather than fantasy games of selections, recruitment and wishing wells.

We have done too much blaming and handwringing. We have plenty of company amongst other clubs. Penrith are now on a slight decline and powerhouses like Roosters and Melbourne whilst still out there and threatening are not what they were. Broncos are the new kid on the block and they have/are coming off the back of a horror period. They should have won it last year and the talent they have is exceptional but that came from a period not that much different to ourselves. We are not the laughing stock we accuse ourselves of being, we are no different to any other team which gets beaton by 30/40 points.

It seems to me that the asylum of fans, especially 1EE's have got a lot of confusion confronting them and a huge problem in understanding this is a professional business and not a case of sitting in the corner, putting in your thumb and pulling out a "plumb"..

There is a huge drive by fans on this site to think that with a wish the board will sign Wayne Bennett as the saviour.

Mutts has outlined as much with what he would do. Everything is fine except we have no idea if Bennett would be interested?

Lets go back to Mutts programme, he finishes BA next week (good timing the bye week) and simultanously rings (the board that is) Bennett to confirm his interest, appoints Barrett to finish the season.. Lets assume Bennett has given some consideration in the "dry laconic style he has" but is not prepared to commit untill his season with Phins is finished, why would he stop mid season and plan anything that is not in his head already. He would need to meet the board, discuss the aspects and autonomy and then decide. He then would offer an informal commitment with an undertaking that if any leaks take place he is out!  Mutts wants to simulataneously advertsie for assistants, NO Bennett will get who he wants, he knows who he can work with. 

Finally someone can remind me that Bennett was all ready to coach a side (I think it may have been the Roosters) and it got leaked and he closed everything down. He doesn't like big mouths and god knows that this board to date can keep its mouth shut, a positive and a negative with regard to communication when I blogged specifically about this.

Now if Bennett does not want the job 50/50 for mine, you can all start speculating over the new coach for the hundredth time. There is no doubt we need to change but we have the essence of a good side, with the exception of "speed" a fully fit side with Lomax included, a decent hooker (Matt Arthur looks the goods) a classie utility player like a Connor Watson and a running forward like Angus Chricton. Maybe a winger like Toupu from Roosters (immediate experience and say two years off retirement) and a build up back load of recruiting speed and athleticism, Coryn has been talking about grabbing 7's players for ages.

We get rid of Sivo, Harper, and half a dozen of our reserve forwards and anyone else in reserve grade that is not capable of filling into first grade when required i.e. Hands and Lussick as pure back ups but the nucleus of a good 2nd Grade side, ..........last thing a dedicated sprint coach!!!!

The board also has look at functional issues like TPA's which will allow us to fill our roster with next level players in back up and also finding a board memeber with football experience, I said the other day Sterlo would be perfect or someone like Beau Scott and finally go make an offer to Matt Cameron too good to refuse to be our new head of football. It maybe impractical to sack BA and MON at the same time but MON is also to finish this year. Once some one like Cameron was appointed then he will look after Bennett's need's and be the link back to the board.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I can understand that FB, you have had a tough time with your bad knee and your hair going like that. I have a lot of blogs in my resume, anytime you need a sleeping pill to ease your pain, just read one of them....they will knock you out. lol

• Change your name to Popou #2.

You change your position depending on which site you are posting and always take the contrarian position just to get responses. 

Take a honest position Poppa (Popou #2) and go down with it. Your defense of BA on here and attack on TCT is kind of disingenuous, but that's Poppa I guess.

• It maybe that you just don't understand, that you don't understand Frank, my defense on here for BA is where, please point it out?

Just because I critique with a sense of dignity for the individual is interesting in terms of your own hipocrisy i.e remember you telling me that you played the ball and not the man.

NB Talking about hipocrisy, you seem to be spending a fair bit of time over at TCT, I am sure it is not chasing my few quotes, do you have an alias overthere?

Even the board who I have been quite critical of, I have not attacked the "man" quiet simply I don't know them. 

Your blood lust for BA and all his open wounds is actually quite sad, note I believe he needs to go, but am not salivating over it like a rabid dog.

• Yeah I do frequent TCT from time to time (once a week avg) when I need a good chuckle - and here's the thing, it never fails to deliver. As for an Alias haha c'mon mate, that's your hobby.

TCT offer up as much as your delicious spreads on 1eyed eel - great comic relief. You've had more positions than the karma sutra old man and still can't find an original one.

• What makes you think I have "aliases" you have my permission to verify same with Super. I did use the alias "crow" about 4/5 years ago and that lasted about 2 weeks. my wife also has an account and I haven't used that since last time I was suspended, not that long from when you were last suspended Tank. I might be someone you don't like but I have no hobbies that you infer.

I do like the "more positions than the Karma Sutra" that's pretty clever and original Lol

NB That's like, not do. More a missionary type back in the day LOL

• Plopps changes his position weekly depending on the ladder. He's like an old 2 bob watch. For years he's had a massive hard on bragging about how great O'neills appointment was, and now stabs him when he's not looking. 

Pops was one of ba's most staunch supporters, and lambasted anyone who opposed him, but now the old fella has told his idol that it's that time of the month,   even though it has Arthur's name scribed on both sides  

• Poor old Chiefy as dumb as dog shit as usual.

Of course I am a bit slow to reply, just coming to terms with a "massive hard on" it was quite memorising for me lol

I was always comfortable with MON's appoinment because of the way it was made and recommended by the review team whose recommendation was well put.  I most definately did not have a problem with the fact he was working as an exec for Woolly's etc. I have not stabbed him, just believe like BA his time is up! I also have a feeling he was not backed or empowered by the board and maybe not BA either (that I dont know).

Now the word "lambasted" never came into any qualification of a discussion over MON, but you can quote very regularly that use of this word by me has much more qualification in anything and everything applicable to you Chiefy.

Was I supporter of MON and did I support him, most certainly yes as I have with BA as well. SHIT every time we win a game you "haters" come out and support BA and equally jump up and down when he doesn't. 

I have found that I can be critical without having to put 43 bullett holes into a person, its a shame you have not got the same dignity along with your cohorts.

• Keary looks like he's retiring this week , I always thought Brown would be right up the Roosters  alley.

Its not hard to imagine Moses the last half standing at the club. 
    You can't help getting the feeling there's more pain coming for the blue and golds.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to HKF's discussion Eels leaders in player options
"Definitely need to clean out the old dead wood. Heaps of you talent going around. Just need to get the expensive dead wood out. "
25 minutes ago
Cʜɪᴇғ - 😘 replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize offered 3 years 1.1 mill contract.
"I reckon you've hacked me coryn.  Why are you going in about gst lol."
34 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize offered 3 years 1.1 mill contract.
"It's not so much the offer it's the way it's being handled . An offer like this should be only released in conjunction to the signing .  This kids still not even NRL quality and yet we are now locked into a public auction for him.   It's ridiculous…"
36 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Blaize offered 3 years 1.1 mill contract.
"if he is any good he'll be upgraded well before we get to cash in and have him actually play a season in our financial favour.  "
44 minutes ago
More…