Utoikamanu gone

The Wests Tigers have snuck under the guard of Parramatta to steal one of the hottest young talents in the game on a three-year deal.

The Tigers have secured the services of hulking prop Stefano Utoikamanu from 2021 with one of the largest contracts for a player yet to make his NRL debut, understood to be worth around $800,000.

Parramatta were desperate to retain the 192cm, 115kg teenage sensation, who has drawn comparisons to Broncos sensation Payne Haas.

On the back of Ryan Matterson's defection to the Eels, the Tigers have managed to land the major coup and are also expected to sign Dragons forward Luciano Leilua in the coming days.

It is understood the Tigers, who are also the frontrunners for Latrell Mitchell, want the Australian Schoolboys representative to join the club immediately to play for them in the NRL in 2020.

However, the Eels earmarked Utoikamanu, who grew up playing against the likes of Haas and David Fifita, to make his debut in 2020 and now have a decision to make whether to keep him at the club or let him link with the Tigers immediately.

NRL.com understands Utoikamanu, who is on a development contract with the Eels and is no guarantee of being bumped up into the NRL squad, stands to earn almost triple the original offer the Eels put to him midway through the year.

Stefano Utoikamanu in training with NSW under 20s in 2019.Stefano Utoikamanu in training with NSW under 20s in 2019.©Gregg Porteous/NRL Photos

The Eels raised their offer in recent weeks – and again on Thursday night in a desperate bid to hold on to him – however Utoikamanu had already reached a decision.

The strength of the Eels pack, with Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard starting up front, was also a factor – especially considering there are far fewer obstacles in front of him at the Tigers.

The Eels also have no shortage of depth in the front row, with NSW under 18s Origin front-rower Dave Hollis on their roster, as well as Sam Hughes, who was picked but missed the game due to suspension.

Tigers coach Michael Maguire is desperate to add some size and starch to his pack, and the signing of Utoikamanu, who represented the NSW under 20s last season, is sure to do that whenever he arrives at Concord.

Utoikamanu scored the match-winning try for NSW in a man-of-the-match performance in the under 18s Origin game last year, backing that up with 149 metres from 11 hit-ups for the Blues in the under 20s victory this year.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Worked well for Broncos - the bought all the young forwards and now they are overflowing with yound NSW origin forwards

• LOL - they certainly smashed our pop gun forward pack last time we played them :)

Actually mate, can this bloke tackle? Coz ya gotta tackle in the NRL - it's not all just the biggest kid getting passed the ball so he can have a run like it is in the juniors.

That's one of the Broncos problems - they like to run, but they don't like tackling and they get tired quickly.

• LOL look it's Parra Jerker, the club could win 20 spoons in a row and he still wouild be praising the club.  You are the worst kind of fan just happy accept the shit and never question the dopes in charge.  We call ourselves a development club and we have lost 7 juniors to the Tigers alone.  Mooney another Junior Kangaroo has gone to the Raiders.  We also ,lost the flegg player of the year.  Yes you can't keep them all but we can't even seem to hang onto the good ones.  Mahoney and Brown are till unsigned.   Honestly what is O'Neill doing???    LOL @ Talking up juniors like Stone and Parry, they will play less than 20 games in first grade.  While we lose Stefano a kid with the ability to play over 200 with rep ability.   He's just another in another long list of juniors who seem to go nowhere in under systems under Bea Arthur.   

Tepai and French were too of the most sort after juniors in the whole of the NRL and he turns them into first graders.  Matterson had to leave Parra to show how good he was.   

• Apparently there are a few off the field issues as to why we didn't rush to sign Utoikamanu or rush to lock him up. Seems to be he's attitude issues or he's spat the dummy for now wanting to wait for his opportunity, especially when he's spent plenty of time out injured the last 2yrs, I thnk the club is done with players like that around.

Hollis & Hughes look the goods, both are front rowers and have extended long term already I believe, so it's definitely not at all doom and gloom. I think you'll realise in due time the Eels will retain the juniors they want to retain & the ones we dont there'll be different reasons for that. 

Let me ask you this Al, would you have paid Stefano 300k a year without playing 1 single first grade game if it meant we risked losing D Brown or Mahoney? Those are the things you've gotta consider here. I think those 2 are the priority junior re-signings.

• Apprently there are off field issues??? Making shit up again you lying POS???  You told us he was playing the last ywo games  last year now the club hasn't re-signed him you are rubbishing him.  As i said you are the worst kind of fan. He did an ankle under a tackle that could happen to anybody, you jizzed yourself silly when we signed Guth on a 3 year deal after 2 knee reco's you absolute struggler.   You trawl the internet for info and pass it off as your own like you have some kind of clue.  You are as pathetic and have about as much Info as the real life Idiot Lurker who does the same. 

And why wouid we need to pay him 300k???  The contract is only 800k over 3 years, and i have no doubt it is staggered anyway.  In 2021 i doubt he is on much more than 200k.  The club fucked up again, they lowballed another promising junior and prioritised blokes like Gower,Davey and Stone.   They did the same thing with Junior Paulo only to sign him back a couple of years later on massive coin.   They just expect these talented kids to take chump change while filling out the squad with washed up money ball bums.   Really we need to see Gower around another year while we still has this kid un-signed.  It wouldn't have cost us he earth to promote this kid into the top 30 with an upgrade.  Instead we insult him and piss him off.   And Hughes and Hollis are not signed long term they are only 18 and on 2 year deals are at least 2 to 3 years away from first grade.  You have never been right on here ever about anything on here ever.  Without doubt the most clueless individual to ever post on 1EE.   It would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

• This reply was deleted.
    • LOL

Its easy Mack 

It is pronounced  Utoikamanu  

• Is Oregon Kafusi ahead of this guy talent wise? 

• Now there is a key question.

• This reply was deleted.
      • He was big and was going to look good in the under 20s and lower grades. Key is how he goes in NRL.

• Yes he is, there has to be reason why Kaufusi & Utoikamanu are similar ages but yet Kaufusi has played 10+ NRL games and Utoikamanu was coming off the bench for Wenty. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Instead of being a complete flog and showing you know fuck all yourself. How about suggestions or something like that. Instead of just being dropkick and wanting the same thing year after year. "
5 seconds ago
Michael W. replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Mediocre
"Another dumb remark, " our wins are from the opposition letting us", let's hope the Storm and Broncos are in a generous mood when we play them, and let us win, maybe we can ask them nicely."
1 minute ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"As I've explained quid a million times, there is fuck all options available for interim coach. He can't bring cancer into a club when he is just coming into coach the team. Nothing to do with recruitment or long term effects on the club. Plus I just…"
8 minutes ago
Nitram replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Parramatta 2024 Premiers!
"Lucky you. Positivity due to delusion in this instance is probably a good thing. Sadly, I'm a realist combined with a lover of the game, I understand it, I know when my team is cooked. They are."
22 minutes ago
More…