To Hire Better Assistant Coaches or Not.

The general thoughts on 1 eyedeel are that our Eels need better assistant coaches, especially in the area of attack, game management, tactics etc. Ive read that some believe, "probably rightly so" that BA is scared to hire really good assistants such as Flanagan or Fitzgibbon type's  that could actually take over from him if the team were to perform badly etc.  It got me wondering, Do coaches including BA refuse to hire assistants that they believe could land a head job at another club. If we take a look at Barrett at Penrith, he completely changed their attacking mindset and the results were phenominal, youngsters left right and centre performing way above their best and dominating at NRL level or about to, which directly led them into an NRL grandfinal, however the downside of having Barrett onboard for the Pennies is that he is so good he has picked up another head coach position at the Dogs and is now decimating the Penrith youngsters bringing them across to the dogs. If we were to hire a good/great assistant coach in the same vein would that be good or bad for our club if they were to leave and take our improved players with them. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• On the flip side a new coach would invariably bring "his" preferred new talent in with him.

I don't see the problem actually.

• Yes that's right Col . It might all work out even over time . I am very happy with most of our current players now though most of whom I would not like to leave without good reason .  Even so 2 years is a long way to go in football terms I suppose. 

• Ok soI will respond with the same drivvle we get from the poster of this blog there is no reason to throw the baby out instead of the bath water and keep the dirty water instead perhpas it would be better to make a clean sweep and throw out the lot and start again I mean it only takes five years to impliment a plan and we have all the time in the world at our disposal That said the club management must come to terms with the fact the attitude of any organisation starts at the top I am certainsuch understanding is beyond the club management and that is one of the reasons why Brad Arthur contiinues to get contract extensions eighteen months prior to their expiry dates The curren tlevel of literary skills being demnostrated by so many people is a clear indicator of the downward spiral the world is in and before too long I am sure we will find oursleves all speaking in braille.

In the corporate world there are managers known as BLOCKERS - all infomation gets as far as these managers and is then blocked from going any further. It is my considered opinion that Bushy is a blocker, his assistants may well be getting the right information to him but he does not allow it to get to the players, or go any further up the line.

I do not care who you get as assistants, if Bushy is not prepared to listen to them, or act on their advice, we are wasting our time fielding a team supposedly coached by Brad Arthur. IT STARTS AT THE TOP and using trickle down principles the shit will cover everything on its way to the BOTTOM.

Time for another review, but this time into specific people, their roles and effectiveness? Starting at the top.

• This reply was deleted.
    • How funny are all the experts who know everything that is going on at the club in regards to this? 
      actually all these opinions are just that opinions no one here knows what happens in this regard. The only people that know are within the club and they would not waste time posting anything on this site for'supporters' 

• FFS Poppa - read what was scribbled - I have been specifically talking about the COACHING at the Eels and have not mentioned the board or any other management.

This blog is specifically about the coaches and / or ossible fixes in that area.

• Ummmm - if talking about the coaching regime who the feck do you think is at the top?

Demented olf Fart - you have lost it big time.

Each tier has a top. Now I know you have been retired for ages but surely you do remmeber something from your corporate days about management structures. 

Rememberall - All Things Are One

• Oh come on mushy, we are not getting rid of BA anytime soon, lets get some really great assistants that suit our club. Win a grandfinal or two, that should cheer you up. Ill even get the hanky out to wipe some of my "drivvel" up, that annoys you so much 👌

• Jason Taylor?

• A very wise boss once said to me come to me with solutions not problems.  Which is what good assistant coaches should do to make a better head coach and we definitely do not have that!, surround yourself with greatness is another philosophy that comes to mind, I also agree with the Jack Gibson theory 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

EA replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"The board will use players being stupid and the refs being horrible as factors out of his control to resign him.
tho the refs were horrible. In the first half go to 9:45 left in the half. You will DCE shove his forearm in Gutho throat. No pen…"
6 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"So you would know than Mal had Slater signed up and delivered to their door than wouldn't you? Obviously full of shit mate. Meet me at parra training with who you know and so on. I'll do the same. Bet you I bring a hell of a lot more ex and current…"
8 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Slater will NEVER coach in Sydney. He has been slated in as Bellamy's successor, and do you really think Thurston will move to Sydney. I can understand your pain, and how you feel, we all want BA gone, I can't see it happening until the end of the…"
17 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"For your information Brad, I have a connection at the Titans, and I can tell you 100% that they have been trying to get rid of him for 18mths, when I asked him why, he said because he is one of the dumbest person he, and many at the club, have ever…"
24 minutes ago
More…