The Truth Hurts: Article

News.com.au: News NRL

The Australian: Martin Gabor

The truth hurts’: Eels defend Brad Arthur and vow to bounce back following horror loss in Darwin

Brad Arthur’s position as Eels coach has come under fire following their shocking second half in Darwin, but the players know where the blame lies.

Parramatta’s senior players say the pressure should be on the team and not coach Brad Arthur after he called them a “part-time team” following their second-half capitulation against the Dolphins that has raised question marks about his future.

The Eels were embarrassed in Darwin last week, conceding eight tries in 25 minutes as the weakened Dolphins tore them to shreds.

The Dolphins raced away with eight tries in 25 minutes to embarrass the Eels. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty ImagesThe Dolphins raced away with eight tries in 25 minutes to embarrass the Eels. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

“If you watched the second half, it looked like we didn’t know each other and we hadn’t trained together,” veteran prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard said on Tuesday.

“It’s not panic stations, but it’s a bit of a wake-up call for the whole team.

“It was a little embarrassing to see the 40 minutes in that second half. We’ve addressed it and we’re looking forward to this week.

“Things weren’t going well for us. We’ve sat down, watched it and nullified where we’ve got to fix it.”

The fallout from Friday’s loss has involved some very honest chats amongst the playing group who have vowed to take the pressure off their coach by not letting him down ever again.

Brad Arthur is under pressure but appeared in control at Tuesday’s training session. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty ImagesBrad Arthur is under pressure but appeared in control at Tuesday’s training session. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

“Brad has copped it for 12 or 13 years. It’s not his fault. The onus is on us,” Campbell-Gillard said.

“Being one of the senior players here, I’m more than happy to cop the brunt of it. I’m sure our other senior boys are willing to put their hand up as well.

“It’s not nice to see what’s happened to Brad given what he’s done for this club. He’ll always put his hand up and face the media and take the brunt of it, but for the performances we’ve been dishing out, we have to (take responsibility).

“There’s a lot of honesty at this club and no beating around the bush. It’s very straight down the line.

“If you can’t take any criticism and judgment, then I think you’re in the wrong sport. It’s about holding everyone accountable and making sure everyone is accountable for their actions and how they played.”

Clint Gutherson is expecting a big turnaround after some honest chats this week. Picture: NRL PhotosClint Gutherson is expecting a big turnaround after some honest chats this week. Picture: NRL Photos

Skipper Clint Gutherson sat next to Arthur after the game last week and said on Tuesday that the Eels let their fans down with a performance that came just a fortnight after they conceded 41 against Canberra.

“Everyone respects what he says and what he does. We’re letting him, the coaching staff, the club and the fans down at the moment. It’s on us,” he said, confident they’ll produce a proper 80-minute performance against Manly this week.

“You never want to hear that from your coach, but the truth hurts sometimes and you’ve got to hear it.

“If you’re not willing to hear what the bad things are and you just want to hear the good things, then you don’t really last too long in the game.

“He’s really challenged us this week to get back to doing all the little things right.

“You can’t get all the highs all the time. It’s like any other job – if you’re not doing something right, then someone has to pick you up on it.

“It shouldn’t take this long for Brad to have to say it after a game for it to get a reaction, but that’s what it is.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Spot on Poppa, he has it on "very good authority" that he jack shit about footy.

• You would fuckimg hope they knew more than everyone on this site with it being their profession FFS .. what I'm concerned with is them not knowing as much as their counterparts at the other clubs .  

Bloke at your local servo knows more about fuel than you but I bet you still whine about his prices, 

• Yeah I didn't think it needed explaining but obviously did. Maybe we use more pictures than big words next time ? 

• Says the man with Homer as his avatar, it does need explaining Hugo because you are criticising professionals and showing no respect in the process....Wiz is much more interested in toilet training and is unquestionably qualified as an expert in "shit". He is concerned that they don't know as much as their counterparts....given that they are actually all experienced from professional clubs how would you go about such an analysis Mr Wizard?

PS Your concerns have been duly noted by the way!

• Yes agreed mate; a whole clean out. But the footy board need to drive this

• Of course they are going to stick up for Bushie. 

They coast along and play average and there's very rarely any repercussions from the coach.

If Bushie goes and Bennett comes in, they might have to actually put some effort in.

• BEM listen to Bloke in a Bar. Denan Kemp talked how he was a massive BA supporter. But now is saying the team are going around like top 8 is good enough, it seems they aren't too fussed going for a comp. 2022 was their moment and now they can just stay comfortable.

Thats a reason to love him, won't be on your arse until now when his job is on the line and until they get to an ok spot after a few good wins back to normal.

• This is almost as hilarious as the Pizza Nights at Hindmarshs in 2012 and 2013 ....what a bunch of absolute twits ....there is no accountability or real desire ......over this shit ....a good laugh though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpDM6ygsb20

we should all bring our 80s boom boxes out from the shed and blast this song everytime manly score

I also think the cherry on the cake will be the embarassing ANZAC jerseys ......while Manly pump us ....at 4pines hahaha

• At the moment we have two not insignificant on field  problems. 

1: We have absolute shite defence in our red zone. Not adaptation no organic defence that adjusts to threats, it is the same crappy tight line and a 20 M wide overlap. So freaking sick of it I am just about cheering for Manly

2: We are shite in attack in their red zone ( MM will help when he is back) 

Kind of an issue when we suck in red zones, defence and attack, but hey the boys support and love Brad 🤮 

• Talk is cheap get out there a d rip in.All these players ever seem to do is talk talk talk and deliver nothing

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Adam Magrath replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"Why take the risk in his last job on us? We are the perfect candidate, all the foundations are there. He gets the opportunity to accomplish something no one else has either been able to or willing to undertake for almost 40 years!!! What a way to go…"
35 minutes ago
Tad replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"I think Bennett is around 73 74 How many years coaching does he have left on him? Is that really what Parra need right now and do we start the whole thing again in a couple of years?
Maybe if Chieka (sp) could be a better longer term option and…"
1 hour ago
Michael W. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"Can't believe how many dumb fools are here, NO player has a get out clause if BA is sacked or leaves, I can guarantee that 100%."
3 hours ago
Michael W. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"I can see it now, Bennett signs 24 players to replace the ones who had clauses in their contracts, headed by the Bromych bros, Kaufusi and an elite halves combo in Nikorima and Milford."
3 hours ago
More…