The Truth Hurts: Article

News.com.au: News NRL

The Australian: Martin Gabor

The truth hurts’: Eels defend Brad Arthur and vow to bounce back following horror loss in Darwin

Brad Arthur’s position as Eels coach has come under fire following their shocking second half in Darwin, but the players know where the blame lies.

Parramatta’s senior players say the pressure should be on the team and not coach Brad Arthur after he called them a “part-time team” following their second-half capitulation against the Dolphins that has raised question marks about his future.

The Eels were embarrassed in Darwin last week, conceding eight tries in 25 minutes as the weakened Dolphins tore them to shreds.

The Dolphins raced away with eight tries in 25 minutes to embarrass the Eels. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty ImagesThe Dolphins raced away with eight tries in 25 minutes to embarrass the Eels. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

“If you watched the second half, it looked like we didn’t know each other and we hadn’t trained together,” veteran prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard said on Tuesday.

“It’s not panic stations, but it’s a bit of a wake-up call for the whole team.

“It was a little embarrassing to see the 40 minutes in that second half. We’ve addressed it and we’re looking forward to this week.

“Things weren’t going well for us. We’ve sat down, watched it and nullified where we’ve got to fix it.”

The fallout from Friday’s loss has involved some very honest chats amongst the playing group who have vowed to take the pressure off their coach by not letting him down ever again.

Brad Arthur is under pressure but appeared in control at Tuesday’s training session. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty ImagesBrad Arthur is under pressure but appeared in control at Tuesday’s training session. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

“Brad has copped it for 12 or 13 years. It’s not his fault. The onus is on us,” Campbell-Gillard said.

“Being one of the senior players here, I’m more than happy to cop the brunt of it. I’m sure our other senior boys are willing to put their hand up as well.

“It’s not nice to see what’s happened to Brad given what he’s done for this club. He’ll always put his hand up and face the media and take the brunt of it, but for the performances we’ve been dishing out, we have to (take responsibility).

“There’s a lot of honesty at this club and no beating around the bush. It’s very straight down the line.

“If you can’t take any criticism and judgment, then I think you’re in the wrong sport. It’s about holding everyone accountable and making sure everyone is accountable for their actions and how they played.”

Clint Gutherson is expecting a big turnaround after some honest chats this week. Picture: NRL PhotosClint Gutherson is expecting a big turnaround after some honest chats this week. Picture: NRL Photos

Skipper Clint Gutherson sat next to Arthur after the game last week and said on Tuesday that the Eels let their fans down with a performance that came just a fortnight after they conceded 41 against Canberra.

“Everyone respects what he says and what he does. We’re letting him, the coaching staff, the club and the fans down at the moment. It’s on us,” he said, confident they’ll produce a proper 80-minute performance against Manly this week.

“You never want to hear that from your coach, but the truth hurts sometimes and you’ve got to hear it.

“If you’re not willing to hear what the bad things are and you just want to hear the good things, then you don’t really last too long in the game.

“He’s really challenged us this week to get back to doing all the little things right.

“You can’t get all the highs all the time. It’s like any other job – if you’re not doing something right, then someone has to pick you up on it.

“It shouldn’t take this long for Brad to have to say it after a game for it to get a reaction, but that’s what it is.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• mmmm Gillard states he was  a little embarrassed after the game. I would think you would be downright disgusted not just a little embarrassed. Thats a problem right there!

• Very honest club, you sure about that? Cause you don't act like it. Act like you are comfortable. 

• For the first time i hear them say letting the club and fans down. Cartwright said similar before the Darwin game about BA and dished up that shit.

Friday i am really looking forward to, if they win it sends a big statement. But if they lose convincingly it sends a big statement too. BA can really save or lose his job on Friday night.

• And it not about what they serve up against Manly.. They are just as likely to come out breathing fire, it's the games after that which will show their true colours. 

• This ^   Im at the stage where i just dont care win lose or draw. I want a coaching direction change. Im sick.....so so so sick of pedestrian defence out wide with our centres and wingers wearing the brunt. Defence starts from the inside. 

Bring back  a gold star sticker reward for great defence, and defenders that quickly adjust and slide. It worked when i was in primary school. The players play like we did in primary school... arggggggggg.

• I reckon the players will turn up on Friday ready to play. Whether we have the players to get the win is another matter, but I very much doubt we'll see a continuation of the same performance from last week.

I agree with Hugo though, Parra have shown time and again that they can't keep the rage going long term. That's why we are so inconsistent. Only now it seems we can be world beaters or wooden spooners in the space of a few weeks.

• Agreed, prove will be in the pudding after the game. If we win, we have to back it up. If we lose, bye bye ba. All this talk is nothing if they don't put it into action. 

• Hahahaha footballers..

If another coach took over for next year , after their first win there would be a conga line of them telling everyone that it's great to finally have a coach that allows them to play football and it's like a breath of fresh air around the place. 

And they talk about honesty ! The last bloke to say anything honest out of that joint was Nathan Brown and look where it got him ! 

• Accurate !!!

• Yeah look, you're not wrong. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Parramatta Tragic replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"I have sat on Boards and I have never been the smartest person in the room. What I did have was the best advice from people that were glad to help the goals I was trying to achieve. That advice came from a World Chairman of one of the world's…"
5 minutes ago
Poppa replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"You don't need to be a great player to be on a football board, management experience and a quota of football/sport administration and understanding is the imperative along with a degree of entrenprenaural understanding..
Contrary to Wiz's…"
17 minutes ago
Parramatta Tragic replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"Didn't I read recently where Parramatta Council has become a sponsor of the Eels? Maybe part of that agreement was that in return they had someone on the football club Board?"
27 minutes ago
Poppa replied to The Captain's discussion Board Update: Two Directors retire from Parra Eels.board
"Actually Wiz, I have a degree for you, its based in Antartica and is called 30 degrees minus. I initially thought the Arctic but then realised you coud run into Santa Claus and every one knows you would have got up him over the options in Moses and…"
31 minutes ago
More…