By David Riccio

A number of influential figures walked out on the Eels after the grand final loss. So, who steps up? Coach Brad Arthur opens up exclusively on 2023. Plus, their likely Round 1 team.

Eels coach Brad Arthur believes the club’s proven football factory will unearth a new batch of stars to keep their premiership window open.
In his first interview since Parramatta’s 28-12 grand final loss to Penrith eight weeks ago, Arthur has identified the “no names” he says can replace the departures of influential figures Isaiah Papali’i, Reed Mahoney, Marata Niukore and Oregon Kaufusi.

“Our record shows that when a player comes to our club, they improve. And if they do leave, they leave a better person and a better player,” Arthur said.

“Nobody knew Reed Mahoney when we signed him, when Isaiah came to the Eels, no one really knew much about him, and Marata was in that same boat as well.

“So now we have a new group with an opportunity to do the same.”

Pack mainstays in 2022, Papalii, Mahoney, Niukore and Kaufusi played 103 games for the Eels out of a possible 112.

In essence, their impact was immense through their consistency and therefore key to the Eels’ grand final charge. With the quartet moving on to rival clubs in 2023, Arthur has holes to fill – and that has led to anxiety among Eels fans.

However, the head coach pinpointed forward recruit from the Knights Jirah Momoisea (eight NRL games), ex-Raider and Warrior Jack Murchie (40), former Bulldog Matt Doorey (18) and NSW Cup talent Toni Mataele, were at training with the lure of a starting back-row position.

“I told them I need them to be 80-minute players.

“I think they’re off the pace physically at the moment, compared to what our requirements are for a backrower. But that’s a good sign for our club because most players that come to our club don’t match our standards.

“So they’ve been told they need to be fitter.

“With our training, they’ll improve naturally.

“It’s no different to Isaiah and Marata and Shaun Lane, they all had to work when they arrived.’’

POMMY EEL

Veteran hooker Josh Hodgson, the club’s biggest signing, will be fit for round one after missing last season with a torn ACL.

Arthur said his back-up options were Mitch Rein and rookie Brendan Hands.

“In one week, I’ve seen the leadership of Josh and how he rubs off on his teammates,” Arthur said.

“He’s been terrific and he has a playing style that is suited to Parramatta.

“Every year we’ve had blokes leave and I’ve only ever worried about what was next, which is the next blokes who have come to work with us.”
OH NO, MATTO

Lock-forward Ryan Matterson confused the majority of the competition by his decision to accept a three-game suspension for a crusher tackle from the grand final instead of accepting a $4000 fine.

He will miss the Eels’ first three games against the Storm, Sharks and Sea Eagles.

Arthur said he’s got an idea who will cover Matterson’s early-season unavailability.

“We signed J’maine Hopgood from Penrith – he hasn’t joined us (at training) yet, but we’re looking forward to seeing him,” Arthur said.

“He was probably the best player in the entire NSW Cup, he just couldn’t get a run with Isaah Yeo in front of him.

“Like the other guys we’ve brought in, we’re more than happy to bring these guys in and coach them up and get the best out of them.’’

MOSES AND BROWN

The more it drags on, the playing futures of the Eels’ most influential playmakers threatens to develop into the biggest story over summer.

Both Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown are off-contract at the end of 2023, with rival clubs – including the Wests Tigers, Bulldogs and Dolphins – preparing major money plays.

The Eels coach shares a tight relationship with both players and without waxing lyrical, said he hoped both chose to stay.

“Both players are obviously a big part of this team and club, and I would love nothing more for them to stay,” Arthur said.

“They know exactly what I think of them and what we can do together – that’s all that matters.’’

POST-GRAND FINAL

In the aftermath of the Eels’ grand final loss, Arthur took an annual end-of-season holiday to Bali, where he reflected on the season while mapping a plan to go one step further in 2023.

“I’ve now moved on,” he said of the 28-12 defeat. “I’m worried about what is ahead of us.

“(Penrith) were too good for us. And they’ve been too good for the entire competition for the past three years now.

“I was gutted and disappointed in the result. But they played their best, we didn’t.

“I’m proud we got there, but I’m not satisfied.

“I know we’ve got plenty of drive left in us and I’m enjoying the opportunity to have our next wave of players come through.’’

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I have been enjoying watching world cup soccer. the coaches use their 5 man replacements with confidence and tactically sound. I also love the way the good teams are prepared with looking at the games intelligently similar to a chess game. Highly disciplined with intelligent thinking is key in reading how a game is played.

•  

Carlo , BA could find a way to use 30 guys in a game and you'd have an issue with his tactics. 

• BA wants his edge forwards to be 80 minute players not his middles, what's wrong with that?. There is no reason your edge forwards shouldn't be 80 minute players unless they are unfit. Taking your two starting front rowers off and then bringing them back on already uses half your interchanges and if you want to give your hooker a rest there's another one or two.

Having 80 minute edge forwards is a good thing not bad.

• Why go into a  game with a fixed mentality? My last impression of Papali unfortunately was him missing close to 17 tackles from memory, arm grabbing and looking generally fatigued - now during the season proper he was a standout, of course you want your best on the field but if they are underperforming bench them. The signings of Murchie and hopgood are positive, they offer us versatility and the pack begins to look more mobile.

• Who said anything about a fixed mentality,  having 80 minute players but not interchanging them when over fatigued is a poor coaching issue and that falls on BA. Papalii didn't look as fit this year as he did last season and should have been benched that doesn't mean you shouldn't aim to have 80 minute edge forwards.

• I can't fault BA with regards to how Papalli performed with us he and no doubt ONeill had the sense to sign him on minimum wage.The first mentioned turned the guy into someone with alot of potential to the player actually for filling the mentioned that too me is good coaching in a nutshell.

• In terms of development no doubt, Papali did go another level at the Eels - I've heard him mention he prefers the middle I think thats the position that suits him, I would have liked to see him coming off the bench at prop or middle  replacing Jr and then moving to the edge, in my opinion that's a better use of the bench. - anyway that's all history now.

• The reason he only interchanges middles in my opinion is he wants to keep familiar faces on the edge for combination purposes,I mean at one point a couple of seasons back sporadically he had Lane off the bench playing as a middle until he fully committed to the edge.

I think Arthur had the same thought process with Papalli.His edges will play 80 Im certain if that it's just who steps into take the mentioned spot is the sticking point and how quickly he acclimates with Moses and Penisini.

• The point about defensive combinations is spot on  especially on the edges 

• I still can't believe we let him go though that was one of the worst retention calls ever 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

CarloEEL2 replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
""
3 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Isn't that Monster Olakau'atu usually on the right edge (up against Dylan-Lane) ? Turbo,  Waddell & co. would still like their chances on Sanders' edge (with Matto and Penisini) assuming there aren't some switch-a-roos."
13 minutes ago
BringBackSemi replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Expecting a dig in the first 20 or 30, then dropping off after that. Players will always speak publicly how they support BA. I mean how did the last guy fare who openly questioned the coach. Oh yeh, he's playing for Manly tonight and might have a…"
16 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him's discussion Fergo in the sh@t again .
"Wiz. Kurri doesn't deserve me saying it a second time 🙄"
30 minutes ago
More…