The Bennett Hypothetical: Sliding Doors

The overiding sentiment on this site, and in the media noise, is: we need a "new voice" and "new ideas".

12436579876?profile=RESIZE_710x

Now, let's assume we can somehow nab seven-premiership winning Bennett who poured icy cold water on the Eels' idea a few weeks back.

It's unlikely we could get a better credentialed coach. 

Let's put the obvious reality aside, which is, without certainty of knowing what the Eels' footy board, a seemingly optimistic, stoic "turtle wins the race" duck sailing smoothly on the surface is really doing underwater. Perhaps, paddling like mad. In all likelihood, it's unlikely that the footy board - who apparently have a very transparent and honest relationship with Brad Arthur and would go through the "front door" if there was a new coach on the horizon - have made any serious moves on the coaching front.

In all likelihood, Arthur will see our the rest of the year, at least. And when Moses returns if there is a renaissancenof sorts the landscape could change temporarily. A few wins could change the temperature quickly, quieting the rising drum noises and some of the natives.

The thing is, even if we nab Bennett somehow, which is far from a certainly, how long would he with us how long? Three years?

How much can he change in that time?

The tale of the tables tells we're in decline, overall as a footy club.

Our NRL squad currently sits 13th (gone up from 14th because the Tigers had a bigger loss than us this week), bottom five, with the 13th worst defence and since mid last year concede over 35 points a game away on average. Our Cup side is also 13th, in last place,  with the third worst defence in the competition. Our Jersey Flegg side is also 13th, in last place, also with the third worst defence in the competition.  Our woman's team is 10th, in last place, with the worst defence in the competition. Anyone seeing a trend?

12436581473?profile=RESIZE_710x

Sure, it's only round and "not the end of the world" to quote Clint Gutherson from earlier mid-week. Just before the Manly loss.

From a distant galaxy, the good news is we're doing well in our juniors. Something not new. Our SG Ball Cup U-19s are 5th (from 16). Our Harold Mathew's Cup U-16 squad is 3rd (from 17). The polar opposite of what is going on higher up.

It seems the younger we go, with our enviable nursery, the better the results, at the moment.

It echoes the sentiments of 100% Footy by Gus Gould who pointed to our "cultural" woes running deeper than a head coach.

"Brad Arthur is not the trouble with why Parramatta are where they are now," Gus pointed out.

"In all the time that I have followed Parramatta, and I was a Parramatta junior, they have never really set up their pathways properly."

"They've never produced a culture, a character of their own, that's brought through the grades with young fellas wanting to be there and a part of the club. And that in the end becomes the problem of the head coach."

"In the end, that becomes the problem for the head coach, who is trying to win games today when no one has really planned adequately for the future."

"Someone has got to take that responsibility - that's not Brad Arthur's responsibility."

"They have great sides in the junior representative fields but it doesn't transition through to a culture or stream of players coming through in the club."

"It's become exhausting for him now."

Back to the we-nab-Bennett Hypothetical.

12436581655?profile=RESIZE_710x

One of the other benefits that comes with Bennett is his trusty leitenant Dr Jauncey (see above). Bennett's Dr Massey of sorts. They go back decades from Bennett's Broncos premiership winning days. Jauncey is a highly successful sports psychologist, probably one of our best. It's also intriguing, why hasn't our footy board approached him? Results since 2022 suggest we may need a damn good shrink.

So, what's the best case scenario?

12436580865?profile=RESIZE_710x

Bennett does what he has done before. And we do a St George 2010 to win a title. See above. The longest title drought in the NRL would be broken.

We celebrate. Drink. Dance. Be merry.

But, then what?

Think about what happened after Bennett left St George. The Broncos. Newcastle. Souths. The Broncos have finally started to regroup after their first wooden spoon in 2020 and make good on their God given talents and advantages. But how are Souths going right now?

There are two sliding door moments, here, depending on your perspective.

If you're an out and out optimist and believe we don't have deep rooted cultural issues or more fundamental issues - just need a new coaching voice - it's simple. We just keep throwing everything at the best coach we can find. Problem solved.

However, another door leads to what Jack Gibson said: winning starts at the front office. Perhaps, culture is a complex interdependent web, top to toe?

And in that case, we're going to get back where we started. After all the red wine has finished and the music dies down.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Carls, I don't think BA is a dumb, simpleton as many paint him. I reckon he's multi-layered with a wily, tough, street-smart cunning to him beneath the surface IMO.

• I've known some real dumb pricks who can't add or spell for shit but they were as cunning as a gutter rat.

That's BA...

• Yep you reap what you sow - well done Tim expose the prick.

• Many on here could not get rid of Tim Mannah quick enough. Handy when all of a sudden he agrees with you. I don't think BA is cunning smart, if he was he would be much more effective in his strategies and we all know "strategy" is not one of his strong points.

Finally this illusion you have Heisen with BA fleeecing every and anybody to keep his job, I believe is fundamently wrong. I know of people that know BA personally and money has never been his objective. He has a genuine love for the club, it is just a shame that he is not clever or cunning enough to take us to the next level.

Don't let your "hatred" take control of your emotions Frank, its a shame to see you and Carlo cheering every time the knife goes in.

• Thanks for your opinion Poppa - it's exactly that, yours.

Mine is mine...

• Do you guys think it would be untenable to let BA go but offer him the opportunity to finish out the year giving him the chance to prove to any future suitors that he is a decent coach and at the same time giving the players that claim they would die for Brad the opportunity to prove everyone wrong and win a premiership.

We could announce Bennett mid season for 3 years starting 2025 giving him the chance to decide the direction of the squad and also give him the chance to sign players to fill the holes he identifies.

I think any player off contract with Bennett as coach and Commbank as your home ground would consider coming to the EELS for unders to learn under Bennett and finally win the EELS a premiership and become part of history.

I know it's probably fanciful thinking but 38 years is too long for a club our side to not win a title

• I honestly think that BA will struggle to find another gig in the NRL tomorrow if he was let go now.

There's just nothing about that bloke that screams 'success' and 'sign him now'.

He would be a good guy to bring in to help rejuvenate a tired squad but not one that can turn it into a premiership force.

• Arthur needs the boot, but Bennett is a fried chook with no idea Wolfe already coaching up at the Fins. Bennett is washed up from a very good source involved at the Fins.

• Hoe, great stuff, definitely very fair concerns, and as you know im all in on Jauncy & Bennett also.

Outside of that, and it may be naive, im just not as concerned about the wholesale changes… yet.

They're likely needed & likely inevitable, but to me we just need to make the first step, be brave, and spare no expense? Things can snowball quickly from there if we have an experienced head coming in.

To the clubs credit, they have rebuilt this club financially since 2016 & have done a great job of that. So, invest it back into your product, your future?

Gould is no doubt partly on the money with pathways / development / culture (culture the big one).

But, that feels very linear, surely this flows more like a figure 8 throughout a club? Where success at first grade level impacts our development & pathways (retaining talent) as much as vice versa? 

If Bennett signed here for 2025 two months ago, does Sanders leave? Suddenly Ricky’s sales pitch isn’t so juicy when placed against Waynes.

Sanders is just one example, maybe he leaves regardless, but Gus excusing the head coach for consistent issues engrained in our top 17, seems a stretch?

I hope Mutt is wrong, but I am concerned he’s on the money - that we will wait too long to act, miss an opportunity, and be back here again next season. Fingers crossed thats just the fear in us all as there are some subtle signs action might be taking place.
    • NOS, thanks bro. Great points. Yeah I'm concerned too Mutts is on the money and we'll be too sloth paced. Likely.

There's also no guarantee Wayne would accept. But if he wants to cement a legacy of taking the perennial underachievers and chokers with the longest title drought to a title as one of our the greatest coach in Australian history it makes more sense than Souths or another new franchise (he's already done one new franchise) with PNG or whatever it is - it makes some sense.

Yeah, like you, I see the board minimizing changes as much as possible.

Reshuffling at the top with new leadership and clout is what we really "need" but not what they'll "want" to do. Imo. We need more than a coaching change IMO, but it's probably even more unlikely.

But if we keep going as bad as we have been this year and look likely to miss the finals, again (#BApraysforMoses), then they probably will be forced to make some decisions.

I suspect the most likely scenario will be BAs head on a pike with some nice words and a commemorative cake to congratulate BA on his tremendous service to the club. Maybe they'll give BA an option to resign to save his face as a token of respect?

O'Neill might be starting to get antsy as well. I don't know what ONeill would do. Push for BA's head to excuse our failures? 

O'Neil could argue he's been here since 2018 and instrumental in the 2019-22 growth cycle - over-seeing the recruitment of the likes of Paolo, RCG, Lane, Matto, Fergo, Waqa, etc. Then add, BA and he haven't been seeing eye to eye over time on plenty and BA has been doing whatever the feck he wants - not listening to his HOF "boss" - and now "look at the results". Despite being a Parraman, BA likes to do things his own way, one way or the other, by hook or crook , even if he gives off the impression he's a straight shooting company man. Not quite. Giving BA enough rope might help O'Neill.

The other thing is BA is the public face of the club - and it's failures to an extent - not O'Neiil as much who seems to be doing whatever he's doing behind the curtains somewhat. For now.

So, getting rid of BA would make a lot of sense for everyone upstream. Some change, significant in the public eye, but preserving the structures upstream.

If they were to get rid of both ONiell and BA it would also represent a greater degree of fast moving, riskier change and instability - something the board seem allergic to - and their mandate has always been slow and steady stability. They might give up if O'Neil trips up again or does something stupid again. 

But, we'll see. Dunno yet. It's a mini drama series waiting to happen.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Hell On Eels replied to Frankie Fong's discussion HUGE NEWS FOR 1 EYED EELS MEMBERS
"Wiz, Was that the old "parramattaeels" forum yonks ago  with the likes of Snoweel, Bourbon, Lisa, Tinkerbell, etc? Pou was there, I think, and a few others. I was on that one for years until it just vanished. Pooooff."
12 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Bup's discussion The way the game will be played
"Never......  Bevan French has seriously flown under the radar and we'd be silly if we didn't try to beat all the other clubs that are obviously not aware of his superhero like performances. We have a once in a lifetime opportunity to snap him up…"
39 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Frankie Fong's discussion HUGE NEWS FOR 1 EYED EELS MEMBERS
"Being Wicksys chemist doesn't count as a rugby league career m Grunts 😂😜😜"
53 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Frankie Fong's discussion HUGE NEWS FOR 1 EYED EELS MEMBERS
"I remember soomeone telling us he's mates with that shocking halfback Micheal Witt once. Im guess it's him , he had some participant award like position with NZ Rugby Yawnion once.  Credit to anyone that's made the NRL, not an easy feat. But unless…"
57 minutes ago
More…