The Bennett Hypothetical: Sliding Doors

The overiding sentiment on this site, and in the media noise, is: we need a "new voice" and "new ideas".

12436579876?profile=RESIZE_710x

Now, let's assume we can somehow nab seven-premiership winning Bennett who poured icy cold water on the Eels' idea a few weeks back.

It's unlikely we could get a better credentialed coach. 

Let's put the obvious reality aside, which is, without certainty of knowing what the Eels' footy board, a seemingly optimistic, stoic "turtle wins the race" duck sailing smoothly on the surface is really doing underwater. Perhaps, paddling like mad. In all likelihood, it's unlikely that the footy board - who apparently have a very transparent and honest relationship with Brad Arthur and would go through the "front door" if there was a new coach on the horizon - have made any serious moves on the coaching front.

In all likelihood, Arthur will see our the rest of the year, at least. And when Moses returns if there is a renaissancenof sorts the landscape could change temporarily. A few wins could change the temperature quickly, quieting the rising drum noises and some of the natives.

The thing is, even if we nab Bennett somehow, which is far from a certainly, how long would he with us how long? Three years?

How much can he change in that time?

The tale of the tables tells we're in decline, overall as a footy club.

Our NRL squad currently sits 13th (gone up from 14th because the Tigers had a bigger loss than us this week), bottom five, with the 13th worst defence and since mid last year concede over 35 points a game away on average. Our Cup side is also 13th, in last place,  with the third worst defence in the competition. Our Jersey Flegg side is also 13th, in last place, also with the third worst defence in the competition.  Our woman's team is 10th, in last place, with the worst defence in the competition. Anyone seeing a trend?

12436581473?profile=RESIZE_710x

Sure, it's only round and "not the end of the world" to quote Clint Gutherson from earlier mid-week. Just before the Manly loss.

From a distant galaxy, the good news is we're doing well in our juniors. Something not new. Our SG Ball Cup U-19s are 5th (from 16). Our Harold Mathew's Cup U-16 squad is 3rd (from 17). The polar opposite of what is going on higher up.

It seems the younger we go, with our enviable nursery, the better the results, at the moment.

It echoes the sentiments of 100% Footy by Gus Gould who pointed to our "cultural" woes running deeper than a head coach.

"Brad Arthur is not the trouble with why Parramatta are where they are now," Gus pointed out.

"In all the time that I have followed Parramatta, and I was a Parramatta junior, they have never really set up their pathways properly."

"They've never produced a culture, a character of their own, that's brought through the grades with young fellas wanting to be there and a part of the club. And that in the end becomes the problem of the head coach."

"In the end, that becomes the problem for the head coach, who is trying to win games today when no one has really planned adequately for the future."

"Someone has got to take that responsibility - that's not Brad Arthur's responsibility."

"They have great sides in the junior representative fields but it doesn't transition through to a culture or stream of players coming through in the club."

"It's become exhausting for him now."

Back to the we-nab-Bennett Hypothetical.

12436581655?profile=RESIZE_710x

One of the other benefits that comes with Bennett is his trusty leitenant Dr Jauncey (see above). Bennett's Dr Massey of sorts. They go back decades from Bennett's Broncos premiership winning days. Jauncey is a highly successful sports psychologist, probably one of our best. It's also intriguing, why hasn't our footy board approached him? Results since 2022 suggest we may need a damn good shrink.

So, what's the best case scenario?

12436580865?profile=RESIZE_710x

Bennett does what he has done before. And we do a St George 2010 to win a title. See above. The longest title drought in the NRL would be broken.

We celebrate. Drink. Dance. Be merry.

But, then what?

Think about what happened after Bennett left St George. The Broncos. Newcastle. Souths. The Broncos have finally started to regroup after their first wooden spoon in 2020 and make good on their God given talents and advantages. But how are Souths going right now?

There are two sliding door moments, here, depending on your perspective.

If you're an out and out optimist and believe we don't have deep rooted cultural issues or more fundamental issues - just need a new coaching voice - it's simple. We just keep throwing everything at the best coach we can find. Problem solved.

However, another door leads to what Jack Gibson said: winning starts at the front office. Perhaps, culture is a complex interdependent web, top to toe?

And in that case, we're going to get back where we started. After all the red wine has finished and the music dies down.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Gus also sacked Barrett despite Dogs having no cap and no pathways. Sacked Cleary when their pathways were being built better and sacked Griffin when Penrith were in top 4.

Hypocrites are ones not to be quoted.

• Frankie, I agree with some of your points.

Yet, since 1986, how many of our ultra-talented, title-winning junior teams have translated directly to titles and success for the Eels' top grade?

It's this that suggests Gus may have a point or two, putting aside all that he may or may not be.

• HOE do you think if Brad Arthur was at Penrith when these Juniors were coming up that they would of achieved what they  have ? NO CHANCE . 

Facts are that Parramatta under Brian Smith should of won 4 premierships , the fact these teams shat themselves is a different discussion .   But in terms of Parramatta producing the talent to win premierships this was never a problem , the problem was they shat themselves and this can be pointed either  directly to Smith or Parramatta not being meant to win . 

Gus dribbles to suit his own agenda and his agenda has always been to make himself look like that smartest person in the room .

• Frankie,

The facts are: unlike the Panthers, all the titles, success and potential we have had at the junior levels has not directly translated to success and titles at our first grade levels - since 1986.

Reasons and excuses aside.

I'm not supporting Arthur's position. Smith was a far superior tactical coach with nous than Arthur. No arguments. And I want Bennett. Unlike Gus, I think Arthur is part of the problem, but not the only problem we have. We have deeper problems. Cultural issues, and more. IMO.

On the Panthers, have a look at their board. There is a plethora of footy nous, passion and diehard Panthers' passion. There's probably over a century and a half of support and passion for the Panthers behind them. Do we have this?

• HOE I promise you that you will love my upcoming blog .

• What is really disappointing is that we went through all that pain of 2016, the NSW government stepping in to sack the board and appointing an administrator, constitutional reforms and yet, the place is still being run like a basket case? What was the point of all that, when the place isn't being run any better than the Steve Sharp days?

There was the Nathan Brown review into elite pathways so at least there was some recognition in the club that things weren't right. Was that report ever published, and if so what actions did it recommend? 

It does appear that there is an entrenched culture at the club that is results in failure at every level. I'm sure those in control will not give up their little empires all that easily and would be block everything someone like Bennett would like to alter or achieve. It needs someone with some big balls at the top, with the passion and desire to effect real change. Neither of which do the current lot appear to have.

I think our Premiership drought will extend into the Guiness book of records at this rate.

• To be fair the intervention was about the running of the club from a legislation and financials perspective (including potential vote rigging and fraud). It had nothing to do with the success of the football club.

And the intervention worked. We are now a well run club from a financial perspective and from a governance perspective.

What was never addressed was our football club. And that's what we're still suffering from.

• Well it was addressed Cappy, within the confines of the resources and nobody expected us to come out so quickly from those doldrums. 2018 was a hiccup and the coaching and resources were adequate at that stage, Subsequent success basically died in 2021 when the window was supposedly open. The worst thing that happened was the miracle of 2022 and a grand final and the delusion of success. It was really that 22 season where we were starting to falter inclusive of the destabilisation of the Jake Arthur scenario. At this time we were all saying what we are saying now, we saw the first signs last year and this year is shaping as a disaster.

Its time to look at that in reflection and now move on. I have never thought that we had a roster that would win us a competetion, I looked at the positives and optimisms and the pros and cons were always subjective.

The club has faltered now and lets see and give it the chance to rebalance. We have done too much blaming and handwringing. We have plenty of company amongst other clubs. Penrith are now on a slight decline and powerhouses like Roosters and Melbourne whilst still out there and threatening are not what they were. Broncos are the new kid on the block and they have/are coming off the back of a horror period. They should have won it last year and the talent they have is exceptional but that came from a period not that much different to ourselves.

It seems to me that the asylum of fans, especially 1EE's have got a lot of confusion confronting them.

There is a huge drive by fans on this site to think that with a wish the board will sign Wayne Bennett as the saviour.

Mutts has outlined as much with what he would do. Everything is fine except we have no idea if Bennett would be interested?

Lets go back to Mutts programme, he finishes BA next week (good timing the bye week) and simultanously rings (the board that is) Bennett to confirm his interest, appoints Barrett to finish the season.. Lets assume Bennett has given some consideration in the "dry laconic style he has" but is not prepared to commit untill his season with Phins is finished, why would he stop mid season and plan anything that is not in his head already. He would need to meet the board, discuss the aspects and autonomy and then decide. He then would offer an informal commitment with an undertaking that if any leaks take place he is out!  Mutts wants to simulataneously advertsie for assistants, NO Bennett will get who he wants, he knows who he can work with. 

Finally someone can remind me that Bennett was already to coach a side (I think it mat have been the Roosters) and it got leaked and he closed everything down. He doesn't like big mouths and god knows that this board to date can keep its mouth shut, a positive and a negative with regard to communication when I blogged specifically about this.

Now if Bennett does not want the job 50/50 for mine, you can all start speculating over the new coach for the hundredth time. There is no doubt we need to change but we have the essence of a good side, with the exception of "speed" a fully fit side with Lomax included, a decent hooker (Matt Arthur looks the goods) a classie utility player like a Connor Watson and a running forward like Angus Chriton. Maybe a winger like Toupu from Roosters, immediate experience and say two years off retirement.

We get rid of Sivo, Harper, and half a dozen of our reserve forwards and anyone else in reserve grade that is not capable of filling into first grade when required i.e. Hands and Lussick as pure back ups but the nucleus of a good 2nd Grade side, ..........last thing a dedicated sprint coach!!!!

The board has look at functional issues like TPA's which will allow us to fill our roster withnext level players in back up.

• Rabbitohs announced Bennett for their Head Coach role 12 months in advance. It's not unprecedented. 

• Souths and Broncs were in a big shit fight over the Siebold swap. very different environment

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BEM replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Eels 2024 Premiers!

Seriously mate.
Get off the drugs.
That shit will kill you."
8 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Eli Stephens's discussion All signs point to Blaize staying.
"He's physical to I think that's a good sign for Blaise and he looks like he has time when he has the ball.
Like everyone is saying there's still some rough edges there.I thought his temperament is good also after a rough start last night I thought…"
8 minutes ago
BEM replied to Blue Eel's discussion Saying It for Years. How will we ever really compete.
"Didn't Lomax take unders to join us?"
9 minutes ago
Blue Eel replied to Blue Eel's discussion Saying It for Years. How will we ever really compete.
"Thats the point Titan. Some clubs dont worry about the cap because it dosnt exist for them, we on the other hand stick to it like its spirit like a Koran in Afganistan."
22 minutes ago
More…