Talagi Gets 3 Year Offer

An interesting read. SMH.

We want him here’: Parramatta offer rookie Talagi three-year deal

By Christian Nicolussi
May 9, 2024 — 3.45pm

Parramatta have offered Blaize Talagi a three-year deal as the Eels rookie prepares for his first hit-out in his preferred No.1 jersey.

Plenty of fans inside CommBank Stadium on Friday night will be excited to see Broncos superstar Reece Walsh in full flight – but they could also be witnessing the start of a new era for the Eels, with Talagi in line to succeed Clint Gutherson.

The Eels captain had knee surgery, which will now keep him on the sidelines for up to a month.

Talagi, 19, has played five-eighth and centre in the NRL this season, but is keen to become the regular fullback. The local junior has an option in his favour for 2025, but is reportedly prepared to test the open market.

Talagi’s management has been investigating options for the 19-year-old, drawing criticism from Brad Fittler. “Geez, they leave quick,” the former NSW coach said on Freddy and the Eighth. “He’s come up as a [local junior], Parramatta have given him an opportunity, and his manager is out there flogging him to other clubs.”

The Eels, though, see Talagi as a big part of their future, offering him a deal that will keep him at Parramatta until the end of 2027. Coach Brad Arthur is a big admirer of the youngster.768px)" />86afbbfc63353f5790db70fa0fa0631814199b21

Blaize Talagi has been offered a three-year deal by the Eels.CREDIT: GETTY IMAGES

“Blaize spent time at fullback in both our trials, he can beat people with the ball, and he’s got no fear – physically he’s tough for his age,” Arthur told this masthead. “Fullback is a hard position. It took Gutho years to master it.

“So we know Blaize will get things wrong, he will get his numbers wrong in defence he will be caught out of position with kicks, but the only way you learn and get experience is by playing.

which will now keep him on the sidelines for up to a month.

Talagi, 19, has played five-eighth and centre in the NRL this season, but is keen to become the regular fullback. The local junior has an option in his favour for 2025, but is reportedly prepared to test the open market.

Talagi’s management has been investigating options for the 19-year-old, drawing criticism from Brad Fittler. “Geez, they leave quick,” the former NSW coach said on Freddy and the Eighth. “He’s come up as a [local junior], Parramatta have given him an opportunity, and his manager is out there flogging him to other clubs.

“Blaize spent time at fullback in both our trials, he can beat people with the ball, and he’s got no fear – physically he’s tough for his age,” Arthur told this masthead. “Fullback is a hard position. It took Gutho years to master it.

“So we know Blaize will get things wrong, he will get his numbers wrong in defence he will be caught out of position with kicks, but the only way you learn and get experience is by playing.

We want Blaize here at the club. We probably still don’t know what his best position is. Five-eighth, fullback, centre? Centre is probably the easiest position when you are starting out. But we want to keep him.”

Moving Gutherson to the centres would help the skipper to manage his troublesome knee. But Arthur won’t be hurried into making the switch. 55a9634cd0a6ccd499661f52d32b3d4089f80b6f 

Blaize could learn a lot from Gutho, and wait his time. I wont pre-empt when that 

move could happen,” Arthur said. “Gutho is still one of our most influential players and key to our performances.”

The absence of Gutherson means Dylan Brown becomes co-captain, while Sean Russell will take over the goal-kicking duties against Brisbane.

Brown has had the added responsibility of guiding the Eels around without Mitchell Moses, who is a chance to return from a foot fracture next weekend.

Arthur said Moses had been running on the anti-gravity treadmill, but would complete his first field session this weekend.

He’s a chance of playing Magic Round, if not the following week,” Arthur said.

“We’ll know more once we see him on the field; we won’t be selfish and rush him, and Mitch will know when he’s ready.”

As for Brown receiving the honour of leading the side out against the Broncos – Junior Paulo is also co-captain – Arthur said: “I ran it past Dyl on Thursday, and he doesn’t see the co-captaincy as extra pressure – nothing fazes him.

“He plays rugby league because he loves it and enjoys it. He might have to have a couple of conversations with the referee, but that will be it. His job won’t change. We’ve given this job because we have confidence in him.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So we know Blaize will get things wrong, he will get his numbers wrong in defence he will be caught out of position with kicks, but the only way you learn and get experience is by playing.

This talk is not technically wrong, but that doesn't mean its positive talk. It's ok for a fan to speak this way but a leader needs positivity. This screams of ready made excuses.

• With our season all but over already it's not a bad time for Blaize to learn the fullback position. Will be plenty of errors but he may also show some flashes of brilliance. 

• Though is NRL the time for him to learn the position? Had he been a Fullback in lower grades then fair enough, let him grow in NRL. But it is hard learning to play NRL and learn a new position at same time. However, they wax lyrical about him being the future Fullback, trained him there all pre-season they now put themselves into a corner of having to play him now. No other options. He could have been more prepared but has hardly played there.

• This is the section that caught my attention,  it screams he should be playing the position in reserve grade.

• So has he taken the 3 yr deal or has he rejected it? There appears to be very little loyalty these days! It's all about the Mushca $$$$ even in business, tradesmen, real-estate, car sales. Not much integrity or honesty anymore. All about the Mushca $$$$ why even telling blatant outright lies is an acceptable policy these days. Once upon a time a man's word was his deed. 

• Did the deal get offered over dinner at Brads house?

• Yeah after dinner when coffee was served.

Almond Flat white, 2 Equals.

• i read somewhere that he is unable to re-negotiate the player option deal and has to 'reject' the offer to then renegotiate a better deal. Maybe they (the media) are sensationalising it to get clicks, but in the background, we want him, he wants to stay so are negotiating a better, longer term deal. maybe there is nothing to this? 

Or do i live in a fantasy world? he is untried in FG, but from all reports he is the future, i dont get to see alot of NSW cup these days. we will find out in good time i guess. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Space Eel replied to EA's discussion NSW Cup Player Review
"What I have seen of MA is he is very very slow and very overated. Will end up like his brother struggling to get a spot in Reggie's. I don't see what all the fuss is about?If he's our future we are screwed."
3 minutes ago
Seth hardy replied to SEQld Eel (formely NZ Eel)'s discussion It's time to build a team that we can be proud of again!!!
"Oh gee whizz, now you got me blushing."
3 minutes ago
Darren Munro replied to LB's discussion Buzz on Parramatta and BA
"Parramatta are 2nd for 1st halves and 17th for second halves. Says it all really."
6 minutes ago
Space Eel replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion No team ethos
"Shit coach"
13 minutes ago
More…