Stefano vs Oregon

There has been alot of Chat about Stefano Utoikamanu and his pending departure to the Tigers it got me thinking has he been in BAs long term plans or did the club see his departure as inevitable so they decided to invest in Oregon Kafusai instead?

from a roster management point of view Kafusai was just re-signed for 2years i think and has been given a handful of games over the last 2 years. If Stefano was truly in the plans youd think it would be Oregon who would of made way considering its essentially a bench prop postion that they are competing for.

So im wondering on everyone's thoughts have the club backed the wrong horse or will it prove to be good roster management? 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yep and I certainly agree with the Clubs position.  He is far from proven and if the Tigers are willing to pay massive overs to him, good for them and him. I am glad we didn't.  Don't get me wrong, I don't like losing juiniors, but I think we have alot of talent and depth for forwards now.

• Who would you put ahead of him in our top 30? He is depth and cheap regarding cap space. Im confident he wont play NRL this season. He has gone to the tigers so he can play NRL as their forward pack will be easier to get into.

• We underpaid because we have quality depth in middles, the Tigers overpaid because they are as thin as a fanny hair in the middle. They were desperate, we weren't.

• Hard to say without having actually seen Stephano play against NRL opposition. I think we geniunely wanted to keep both, and I still believe that his time at the Tigers is going to be a glorified 3 year loan deal, but I don't think Oregon was the consolation prize. 

The timeline here is important.

Oregon is 20, Stephano is 19, Junior is 26, RCG is 26, Alvaro is 26, Kane Evans is 28, Nathan Brown is 26, Peni Terepo is 28.

In 5 years time these two guys will be ready to step and be the two cornerstones of our pack, assuming Stephano does indeed return, and then of course we have Hollis & Hughes in the pipeline as well.

• From my observations -  he didnt play like a young guy wanting to make a name for himsellf. He played safe and did not do anything that allowed his size and shape to be destructive in nines.  In NRL he will be just another big boy against tougher big boys. 

• Oregon absolutely shits all over stefano. 

Stefano is a park front rower at best right now, slow sluggish no intent.

orgegon is nearly as big a Paulo if you seen them in the nines at marker a few times you would understand. 
    has great footwork at the line and a quick play the ball, I think Parra have made the right choice 100%

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Speech posted a discussion
What does it take to be sent off. A classic from last nights game is the tackle on Lane verses Sivo. Sivo a fine and the 2 Manly players get 2 weeks each. How does Parramatta benefit from this? The teams advantaged are the teams Manly play over the…
12 minutes ago
EelsAgeMe replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion The real truth - what next ?
"Screw chasing the collision, it's out dated. How about we chase not getting embarrassed every week? How about we simply chase a win? "
18 minutes ago
macybrown replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"👍🏽 "
27 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"We desperately need to appoint a key HOF. Someone experienced like a Frank Ponisi, Shane Richardson or a Peter Parr. 
This is the starting point. 
I'd even go for Brian Smith but I think Brian has well and truly retired or a  Matt Cameron to rebuild…"
34 minutes ago
More…