From The Daily Telegraph.

Facing a horror run and at least the next six weeks without general Mitchell Moses, Parramatta’s season is slipping away. Brad Arthur has a highly rated halfback but will the coach pull the trigger?

Boom halfback Ethan Sanders and his closest confidantes walked out of a contract meeting with Parramatta powerbrokers last year confident he was closing in on an NRL debut. If injury was to hit either of the Eels halves, Sanders and his people were of the belief that he was next cab off the rank.

Two weeks after a foot injury sidelined Mitchell Moses for up to three months, Sanders is still waiting. Coach Brad Arthur has instead paired the equally-talented Blaize Talagi with Dylan Brown in the halves as he looks to save the Eels’ season - and potentially his job.

The Talagi-Brown combination is yet to bear fruit, Parramatta slumping to consecutive defeats in the absence of Moses. Sanders, meanwhile, has been biding his time as part of a NSW Cup side that is yet to win a game this season.

Sanders is everything Talagi and Brown are not. He has made his name in the lower grades as an organising half - former Eels pathways boss Nathan Brown has compared him to throwback No.7s in the way he dictates the tempo of a game.

“For Ethan, I have no doubt at all he is going to be a long-term player,” Brown said. “To me he is a genuine halfback who needs to touch the ball multiple times and not be stuck on one side of the field. Just like an old school halfback – if you see one of them play, that is how I see Ethan playing. “It’s early days. I am sure he will knock on the door.”

If not now, when? The Eels’ impotent attack was best summed up by this statistic on Sunday night - they were tackled 25 times in Canberra’s red zone, double their opposition, but finished with only two tries as they were thrashed in the nation’s capital.

Their attack has been rudderless without Moses and there has been little over the past fortnight to suggest the answer lies in Brown and Talagi.

Life doesn’t get any easier this weekend as the Eels host the high-flying North Queensland at Commbank Stadium. Arthur has a decision to make and it may dictate his future.

LIFE WITHOUT MITCHELL MOSES

Parramatta’s win record dips to 38.9 per cent without Moses on the field to direct the side around the park. The Eels talisman is at the centre of everything at the club and in his absence, the responsibility has fallen on the shoulders of Brown.

Not only has Brown had to adapt his game, but he has had the additional burden of guiding a teenager in his first foray in the NRL.

“If you’re Mitch Moses you are probably going in for a pay rise today,” Mitchell Pearce told Footy Talk on Triple M on Monday.

“I feel for Dylan Brown a little bit. Trying to expect him to be Mitch Moses or Nathan Cleary and go out there and run the team when it is not his style, I don’t know how much you are going to get out of him with that.”

Talagi, like Brown, plays on instinct and is the biggest threat when he is running the ball. Neither player is renowned as being the biggest or loudest voice on the field.

A mute halves pairing is a recipe for disaster. Parramatta need someone to take control and run the show. Sanders isn’t the only option - in the past Arthur has called on Daejarn Asi.

Sanders, however, is the most natural fit given his playing style. The elephant in the room is his future. Sanders was on the verge of joining Canberra last season before the NRL changed the rules, meaning he couldn’t negotiate with a rival club until the completion of round six.

That means from next week he can start talks and the expectation is that he will quickly strike a deal with the Raiders for 2025. Parramatta wouldn’t be the first side to go slow with a junior who has committed elsewhere - the Panthers were accused of something similar when local junior Isaiya Katoa defected to the Dolphins.

Unlike Penrith, Parramatta’s season is on the line.

“Knowing the Parramatta club and working there last year, watching Brad operate, I am sure if Ethan is going to help him win some games, I have no doubt Brad will play him if he thinks he is ready,” Brown said.

“He is naturally a calm kid. So he doesn’t (get) flustered. Technically his catch, pass and kick – his skills – are technically very, very good.

“As he develops his game and confidence, he is going to hold up under pressure.”

THE DRAW

At some point, Parramatta officials should take their South Sydney counterparts out for a slap-up dinner given the travails at the Rabbitohs have largely overshadowed the developing story at Parramatta.

If Souths were cruising, the Eels would likely be back page news. They are a big club but they haven’t played like it over the past fortnight.

The Eels missed 44 tackles and conceded 10 line breaks against the Raiders. If Arthur’s men dish up that defensive effort against Cowboys, Dolphins, Sea Eagles, Broncos and Storm in the next six weeks – they could be staring down the barrel of two-straight seasons without a finals appearance.

The Dolphins are injury-hit but plucky and pack plenty of pace – an area that the Eels lacked against Canberra. By the time round 10 rolls around, the Broncos will be close to full strength with Payne Haas, Reece Walsh, Deine Mariner and Brendan Piakura all due back before then.

It’s a killer draw and it has the potential to end their season before it has even begun.

EELS' KNIGHTMARE DRAW

Eels-draw_shjjhuoF9.jpg
  • R6 v Cowboys (h)
  • R7 v Dolphins (Darwin)
  • R8 v Sea Eagles (a)
  • R9 v Bye
  • R10 v Broncos (h)
  • R11 v Storm (Magic Rd)
  • R12 v Rabbitohs (a)

ARTHUR’S FUTURE

The Eels are not just playing for a finals berth but for the future of their coach beyond 2024. Arthur might be the longest serving Parramatta coach but that won’t be enough to avoid the blowtorch if the side misses a finals series and the premiership window starts to look more shut than ajar.

Already the club has been forced to deny an approach master coach Wayne Bennett, who is on the lookout for a job in 2025. But Bennett is famous for taking established rosters, like the one at Parramatta, to the next level.

If the Eels are to contemplate an approach for Bennett, they may need to act fast given South Sydney are lurking with intent when it comes to the seven-time premiership winner.

Arthur has plenty if supporters in his corner who laud the work he has done over the past decade. Others point to that tenure and the lack of a premiership, not to mention the absence of finals football last year.

There is a view that the players have too much power under Arthur and he lacks the ability to take them to the next level. He has entered a crucial juncture in his coaching career.

Another finals miss will be deemed a failure and it may end up costing him his job.

Eels coach Brad Arthur is under mounting pressure. Picture: Brendon Thorne/Getty Images

LOMAX X-FACTOR

The announcement of Zac Lomax’s signature is believed to be imminent with the two parties in the midst of finalising the finer details of a contract for at least three years and potentially four.

Eels officials have gone into lockdown over negotiations, an indication of the mounting pressure at the club to quickly turn around their season.

The last thing they need is to be talking about Lomax when they are in the midst of a two-game losing streak. Lomax’s addition will, however, be a significant boost to Parramatta’s outside back stocks but he won’t arrive until season’s end.

Canberra’s speedy outside backs delivered a powerhouse effort on Sunday night, churning out 731 metres and making 24 tackles busts.

Maika Sivo, Will Penisini, Bailey Simonsson and Sean Russell could only manage 312 metres in response. Arthur chose Talagi in the centres a fortnight ago and that shapes as an option that would allow him to hand Sanders a debut in the halves.

The ball is in the coach’s court.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just put your best defender into number 7 or 6, don't care if it's Paulo, Matterson, Hands......Sanders was the answer two weeks ago but after last weeks flogging it would be cruel to put him in. It was a rubbish decision from BA for one week play 18yr old Blaze in the centres then the very next play him at 5/8. Rubbish decision.

• Great blog NOS, I agree with you completely on Sanders, now being selected and left their for the interim.

Blaize Talagi was in hindsight a huge mistake, most of us did not realise how limited he is (not that, that matters) but the coaching staff should have realised, just like the coaching staff should know it was wrong to judge Sander's when he is a play maker to a team of "Gumbies", that back five in our reggies would have to rate as an all time low for me and I have been watching  since the early sixties.

I just hope that BA is not having one of his "stubborn" moments and reviews his thoughts on his statement thinking that Dylan was adequate at 7, Dyl tried his guts out but has shown on numerous occasions that he is not an organiser and generally speaking his only effective kick is a short one at the line, he has no relevant long kicking game.

• Pops, this one is from the Daily Telegraph - sorry should've mentioned.

It's heating up on us now, as expected. 

• I think the eels need to adopt an underdog mentality and approach games with that mind set. Need to win the little battles and do the small things right. Complete sets and make your tackles. Without Moses they aren't a flashy team and will struggle to score points. 

•  Arthur is not going to change his mind..that's a given. He is too stuck in his egotistical ways. Nathan Brown joins yet another analysis to publically call for Sanders but he differs due to the fact that he has seen him on the training field and is an ex coach but it will be for naught. 

Nero would rather fiddle and watch the place burn than change his mind.

• Put a ball playing lock in brown second receiver bang problem solved 

• We would have beaten the tigers with Sanders at 7 in my opinion. We certainly would have still lost to the raiders but 3 and 2 going into a game against the front runners is so much better than 2 and 3 it's not funny. 

• We would of beat them with a kicker

• Why don't the pick Sanders then if he would make a difference. Doesn't make sense. It seems anything Arthur does doesn't make too much sense 

• Probably more to it maybe they can't select him yet who knows

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frankie Fong replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"I think the football club board needs someone like Phil Sim as his judgment could be invaluable."
14 minutes ago
HKF replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Ha ha say no more lol"
17 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"I am lol "
18 minutes ago
KENDOZA replied to Rabz S's discussion South Sydney to offer Wayne Bennett three-year deal as Eels pass on supercoach
"Lol"
19 minutes ago
More…