Moses Injury Update (from NRL Physio)

Mitch Moses and his foot fracture are the Patreon Injury of the Week.

Surgery on Monday with an expected 8 week return, but this isn’t a fracture you want to rush!

Poor blood supply, tricky rehab, high re-fracture rate? All discussed in the Patreon Casualty Ward this week:

Mitch Moses - Jones fracture

Had surgery to stabilise a Jones fracture on Monday. Is a fracture of the bone on the pinky toe side of your foot (called the 5th metatarsal), and in short it’s one of the bones in the foot you don’t want to break. Why? The 5th metatarsal has a particularly poor blood supply, so healing and recovery times are more unpredictable. There a few tendons that attach onto this bone and often pull on the area of healing too.

It’s not the most common injury so we only have a few recent examples in NRL players:

Reed Mahoney - 10 week return to play
Aaron Woods - 12 week return to play (initially was aiming for an 8 week return to play)

The usual return to play range for this fracture type + surgery is 8-12 weeks, and those recent examples illustrate that. The important point here is considering the nature of Jones fractures (poor blood supply, extended healing times, tendon attachments etc) - trying to accelerate a return can have nasty consequences. Pushing rehab progress too quickly can cause increased soreness and actually extend the return date. But the real concern is that the rate of re-fracture and requiring a 2nd surgery globally in elite athletes is approx 20-25% - in the NFL it sits at 20% but they typically aim for a return in 6-8 weeks. So a case where accelerating a return is definitely possible, but doesn’t come without risk!

A great recent example of this (cross sport) is Lisandro Martinez (Manchester United football/soccer player). Returned to sport at 11 weeks post surgery, then re-fractured at approx 20 weeks post and required a 2nd surgical procedure.

The Eels are reportedly aiming for a return around the 8 week mark post surgery, which would track about right but re-injury risk is the main concern here.

Expected return - Rd 11-15

Every injured player is covered in depth like this each week in the NRL Physio Patreon Casualty Ward - over 55 players & 6000 words just this week! All related back to NRL SuperCoach & Fantasy too.

patreon.com/nrlphysio to check it out!

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Not many realise than Talagi is not just one of the best eels juniors but arguably one of the best players upcoming in the NRL fullstop. That is how much potential he has. I know a talk him up a lot but its for a good reason. Pressure is on DB and Gutho to lift and just let Talagi do his thing,

• Well at least you won't have to watch the footy on the weekends should be plenty of spare time 

• Doesn't mean I won't watch and cheer them on. I'm just being realistic. It's a terrible trait of mine (being both a realist and borderline pessimist) but it doesn't mean I won't watch. I want them to win more than ever and will never miss a game or turn it off.

• That doesn't fill me with hope. Knowing Mitch and BA (as a fan), they will both press for an early return which could truck our post-season run. 

• Cut it off and replace it with the end of a hotdog. 

• Thanks for posting that Muttman. I was praying it wasn't a navicular fracture. That could have been the end of his career.

• Looking at the positives...... the opportunity for blaise to play in his preferred position.

We have quite a warchest going into negotiations for a strike centre and winger. This injury exposes the fringe players, they are forced to perform or be replaced. 

We were probabably going to lose him during origin anyway. Now he will be available for 3 extra games.

Having him fresh at the back end of the year could be the reason we excell inthe finals.

• Whilst the loss of Mich is huge it will be a great reviler of the culture in the club Penrith and Melbourne get injuries but you never truly write them off because the next man up approxh and jersey culture means they are never out.

If we compete and win it shows that club has cha get if we fold after some adversity then we are still a small club

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BEM replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Losing your halfback is a massive problem for teams like Parra and Canberra compared to teams like Penrith and the Broncos. 
The difference being that Parramatta and Canberra have very very average coaches compared to Penrith and the Broncos. 
The…"
16 minutes ago
BEM replied to EA's discussion Lomax Clause
"Does this "journalist" know this for a fact or like 99% of them, is he just making shit up."
20 minutes ago
Rabz S replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Couldn't of happened to a more deserving cunt."
37 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"And The Titans sacked their coach because Meninga sent Fogerty to Canberra . If we remember correctly Ricky's head was on the chopping block at the time . And nobody in the media questions  Mals motives or conflict of interests  , just talked about…"
52 minutes ago
More…