Mitchell Moses being out

I know I have gone on about this in various posts. But if anyone wants to see the importance of halfbacks they should watch the Souths v Bulldogs game. Neither side has a halfback and it showed massively in that particular game.

They just couldn't put each other away and I have no doubt if either had a halfback, I'm saying just a standard basic nrl halfback, they would have found a heap more points.

It still boggles my mind the great footy mind of Gus (no sarcasm), who is obviously trying to buy a premiership for Bulldogs, hasn't found the money for a halfback. It's crazy stuff.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There aren't that many nrl halfbacks that are premiership materials. Bulldogs are using a stop game until Mitchell Woods is ready. Probably the best halfback in SG ball this year. 

• Oh plz they've been waiting on a junior halfback for 10 years

• Thin pickings for quality half backs this day and age. Gus has spent most his $$$ on non critical positions. His spine and Props are average to poor. Burton is not even a 5/8. He's a centre all the way and twice on Sunday. This Dogs side won't be making the final as it stands for the next couple of years unless he can pick up a Pom that makes the differance.

Think of an excellent halfback that's popped up the last 3 years. I can't think of a single one.

• It is similar to the NFL with Quarterbacks, very rarely do teams that don't have a QB get a chance to sign a quality one, as quality ones are kept by their teams. If they are available there is something about them that is a concern, though there are some exceptions (Tom Brady with Tampa Bay). Halfbacks are the same, teams that have a quality Halfback seldom let them go. So need to take a swing with a rookie or a player that needs an opportunity. We did that with Moses from Wests.

As for Souths and Canterbury, both teams have Five-Eighths that are quality, we have the same with Brown. But we also have Gutho at the back, does more than Mitchell for Souths. And have better forwards than both those teams. We beat both Souths and Canterbury yesterday, not by a lot without Moses but still beat them.

• Both those clubs should be using short interchangeable passes between forwards at the line , both teams are struggling for fast play the balls.

For Souths it'd allow them to play on the front foot so they can play to their strengths which is fast ball movement to their edges and for the dogs it'd bring kikau , Burton and Crichton on to the ball with space.

The Roosters weren't any better against the Panthers , their problem is their halves they don't dig into the line.

Your halves are only as good as your forward pack allows them to be . The more time and space you can give your halves , the more edge backrowers and outside backs have to attack the points of the field their trying to exploit.

Souths, Dogs and Roosters were all ball watching instead of putting themselves into space off the ball.

You can only pass a ball to where a player is, if he's not hitting holes or playing off the back foot you lack penetration and your being met by a defensive line moving faster then your attack .

Parramatta without Moses have to be proactive in attacking the line , everyone needs to expect the ball with our offloads and put themselves in a position to run into space .

Brown and Talagi simply have to kick well , straighten the attack before late at the line attacking between defenders on the outside of their man.Its up to their support runners to do the rest.

• https://youtu.be/_7dJbj4IGNc?si=CCE44fy90Je0Oa-Y
    This link shows all Eels 2023 tries. 
    I think it's definitely worth a look to see how we usually score our tries. What struck me is how much we share the responsibility around for tries and try assists. Gutho is probably are most critical play maker, he's in almost everything in this highlight reel. 
    Eels are rather unique in how they play. And it's because of this I think we can weather this storm. It won't be pretty but we just have to get that win each week. 

• Why do you think the Panthers have won over 80% of games without Cleary in recent years?  Both the Puppies and Wabbits have lacked any go forward 

• Defense defense and more defense.

When a team has on average only giving up 13-14 points per game for the last 3 years that takes a hell of a lot of pressure off losing a guy like Cleary.There premierships have been based on week to week defensive quality.

Parra on the other hand have been giving up in that 18-21 area and if our attacks off giving up that many on the higher end is a bridge to far for us.Even this year we are at 19.

For me if we are to be a legit threat this year it starts now we need defensive improvement 16-18 a game is the area of improvement I'd like us to be in.

• Absolutely Coryn but defence and go forward are dependent on each other. It doesn't matter how good your D is, if you can't make metres a team will fatigue and late in a match the floodgates will open.

Penrith defend better because they have more go forward. The metres their back 3 punch out keep their forwards fresher to put more energy into tackling. This is why I can't understand the club wanting to spend big on Lomax if he doesn't want to play on the wing

Unless the club see him as a fullback?

• Moses was out and about late yesterday. Seems to be getting around on the foot no problems. 

12414674291?profile=original

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nitram replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Yep brown is a great running/defensive 6. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't use the word 'great' loosely either. He certainly is that. But it's not enough when his halfback is out.
On another note, both he and Lane are much more effective when…"
22 minutes ago
Seth hardy replied to Fiddy's discussion Raiders no halfback getting pumped
"Mick if you can't understand why we don't  have runners in support of DB then contact the coach. It's his job to understand that. Best of luck. "
34 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to Poppa's discussion Where to Now, Time to stop looking in the revision mirror and head forward.
"Change your name to Popou #2.
You change your position depending on which site you are posting and always take the contrarian position just to get responses. 
Take a honest position Poppa (Popou #2) and go down with it. Your defense of BA on here…"
35 minutes ago
Tad replied to Hell On Eels's discussion The Bennett Hypothetical: Sliding Doors
"How do we learn to do things differently? If you ask someone to look at what you did that could be done better or differently and you verbalise a response you go through a learning process.If you tell someone what they did wrong they get into ego…"
44 minutes ago
More…