Matterson meets with Eels over potential switch.

Disgruntled Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson has met with Parramatta as he explores a possible homecoming to his junior club.

Matterson was given permission to negotiate with other clubs late last month and is expected to turn out in rival colours next year despite having two seasons to run on his current Tigers deal.

NRL.com understands that Matterson met with Eels officials on Tuesday and is also scheduled to fly to the Gold Coast and meet incoming Titans coach Justin Holbrook next week.Parramatta coach Brad Arthur is on holidays and was not present at Tuesday's meeting, but both parties remain open to pursuing a possible move for Matterson back into the Blue and Gold.

The Tigers though have stressed they won't release the rising back-rower unless they also benefit from the deal.

Whether that involves a player swap or financial compensation has been discussed at Concord, but the Tigers hard-line stance looms as a significant hurdle for clubs pursuing the 25-year-old

Both the Eels and Wests Tigers are yet to make an official announcement on the matter.

Retiring Wests Tigers icon Robbie Farah described Matterson's dispute with the club as "beyond the point of return" last week, with the Tigers keen to have Matterson's future sorted before the next rugby league financial year begins on November 1.

Matterson is slated to earn around $350,000 next year under his Tigers deal, but would be able to earn a bigger payday elsewhere given his rise to NSW Origin 18th man honours this year.

Parramatta have identified Matterson as a potential back-row target having already beefed up their forward pack by securing Reagan Campbell-Gillard from Penrith.

Matterson started out as an Eels junior and captained their under 20s team as a halfback, but fell out with Arthur over the coach's push for him to play in the forwards.

The pair have since resolved their differences, though it was Holbrook who proved instrumental in taking Matterson across town to the Roosters in 2016.

Holbrook guided St Helens to his first Super League title last weekend in his farewell to the English powerhouse, and is set to take charge at the Titans in the coming days

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I'd love to see a contract inserted by clubs if they buy a player 12 months out from the end of their contract, that a severe drop in form can see the contract torn up.

• Grunts, IIRC, the rule/time changed a few years back as it used to be in July, in the last year of the players contract.  Forget the full reasons for the change but apparently it was meant to give both players and clubs a bit more certainty in contract negotiations, as the mid year time created more issues with players trying to secure their futures with clubs fiddling with contract negotiations.

Think it was very much seen as being worse than the current set up though.

• Yeah, not sure about that?

We've never seen so many contracts not be concluded and when they can sign elsewhere 18 months or so before they actually can play a game with their new club, I can see why.

• Grunts, I'm not that fussed with it either, but there certainly was a change a while back now, and not really that many years ago either.

Let's not just hold this aspect with the players either, as one only has to look at what has happened in the last few years with the coaches,, dork bosses of the NRL and similar, lets not forget the refs either, I have a gut feeling there will changes in those ranks next season following the banshee's and their whistles this year.

• I just heard a report on 2GB that Matterson’s management team is now taking to South Sydney.

I guess that is them doing the right thing by their client . That maybe South Sydney looking for replacement for Sam Burgess 

• or John Sutton

They have Murray, Brit and Lowe

• I like Britt he looks alright

• Already signed by the dogs.

Also the media are reporting that Sam Burgess wont be released and Bennett wants him to stay, he has some months to get over any prospective surgery on his busted shoulder, and should not be involved in any pre-season trials or the like.

• Maybe we should swap Gennings for Matterson

We  have plenty of back up wingers and Gennings is unlikely to see a first grade game with us next year. Let George pair up with Rennings at the Tigers.

• South Sydney have reportedly joined Parramatta in talks with Ryan Matterson.

The Rabbitohs are set to meet with Matterson’s management according to The Daily Telegraph as they try to replace club legend John Sutton.

No offer has been made but Matterson has declared that he wants to quit the Tigers with two years left on his deal.

Matterson has already met with Parramatta and reportedly all of Canterbury, Newcastle, St George Illawarra, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Cronulla and Penrith are keeping an eye on the 25-year-old.

Matterson has some interest in a Penrith deal but would have to work around the difficult relationship between the two clubs after the Ivan Cleary drama.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Fiddy replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Last week was the exact kind of game parra would lose. Tonite is the exact kind of game parra prob wins"
1 minute ago
Grunta the great replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Lol okay 😎
I've been posting it a bit later recently otherwise by the time the game starts other flappy footed ferret farkers have put up dumbass, absolute dogshit blogs and the game day blog gets pushed to the second page...
LB take note!!!"
2 minutes ago
Hellmut replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"Yup. Oppositions seem to accept the Eels will be camped on their line for the first 15 minutes. They hold us out. Close at half time, then go wide early the second half and blow us away. 
if we can jag a few early tries we are in for a shot.... "
12 minutes ago
Muttman replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Sea Eagles vs Eels
"What I'm saying is it won't be effort but a lack of talent. Manly have so much speed out wide compared to the Eels. Not to mention Olakau'atu will use Sanders as a speed bump. Eels might score 2-3 tries but won't be able to contain Manly out wide. "
13 minutes ago
More…