Jamal Fogarty bicep injury, do we use Sanders as leverage?

If both Asi and Gutho are out v Manly, BA seemed to think Asi is fine as their doctor claimed category 2, Sanders might be needed to debut as we have Talagi at 1. But if we do need him it will be for one week. Fogarty could have torn his bicep, now if that is the case they need a 7 as they do not have on in NSW cup. They would be desperate, so way i see it surely we can give them Sanders early in exchange for a back, a position they are loaded at. Many to choose from:

Xavier Savage

Nick Cotric

Albert Hopoate

Michael Asomua

And still have Kris, Timoko, Rapana, Schiller and Stewart. Canberra can afford to give up a back. I would push hard for Savage. They of course would try to give us Cotric or Hopoate. Canberra are in an odd spot for 2025 since Schiller is leaving to Newcastle and Rapana is retiring so two spots gone automatically. Cotric also will be moved on as his deal expires. Asomua will replace Schiller and Stewart is already replacing Rapana at 1. But that will leave just Hopoate as the back up. Canberra, rightfully so, might be precious who they give up. They are desperate for a Half and we are desperate for backs and speed. 

Sanders granted is 19, Strange is also 19. Not a great mix, however Sanders is in Canberra's plans in the future. Maybe even moving Strange to Centre until Fogarty retires. Sanders also goal kicks so another tick in that direction. Canberra are in a finals window, now Fogarty could be gone til just before finals, Canberra may see Sanders as their best chance to stay relevant. Therefore if i was Parra, be ruthless and get quality.

Either Savage or Asomua. Asomua is more of a To'o type but faster. While Savage is just a burner. Now, i can see Poppa yelling at his moniter "They are not chess pieces" and true who is to say if Canberra agree to Savage trade he wants to come to Parramatta. Cotric would jump at the chance as it means he will play FG. Asomua might too to play FG. Savage might for a chance to be Fullback in future perhaps. 

The backs market is so slim for the next few years, this is a great opportunity to get a Winger for the future. Xavier Savage or Michael Asomua would make a difference in our backfield for different reasons. Asomua will be a 150-200 metres a game Winger that can run too, Savage has the pace to cause mismatches. 

Fogarty with a ruptured bicep will be out minimum 12-14 weeks. That is season for Canberra, similar to us with Moses. Sanders is already going there in 2025, so it is not like an out of nowhere stop gap. In their lower grades all they have is Adam Cook, primarily a Fullback by trade, played 1 NRL game in 2020 when Canberra rest players ahead of finals. Or they can do what they did tonight and have Simi Sasagi play 6, which he did at Newcastle, and have Strange play 7 when he is ideally a running 6. Ideally not what you want at 7. Sanders at least gives them hope til Fogarty is back. Be ruthless and dangle the carrot and make a deal where you can. Doesn't mean you have to settle for anything, if they offer Cotric and nothing more and we do not want him we simply walk away and keep Sanders in Cup. For a change we have leverage.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I doubt St. George release Lomax for Mooney. You have a potential Origin player and match winner leaving for a 6 game player. 

• The way we are going we may need him. 

• Even if we do, we would only need him for a game or two with Moses back around the corner. But from then on i doubt he gets close to the field, but a Winger from Canberra we need.

• Canberra will just wait us out they no we need outside back help now I don't think they'll be in any hurry to let any of there young talent which they have nurtured go.Cotric I wouldn't touch him his career has been on the slide for years.

We are in a tough spot you have Lomax coming fingers crossed no back flip.But as above I think they see Sanders as a long term answer not a right now one.If I'm Canberra and I know I have Sanders in the bag for next year I'm not letting anyone whose young and has talent leave.

• Though Coryn, you do not think Canberra are looking at it as they need to save their season? They are in same boat as us now with losing their starting Halfback and do not have a Halfback in lower grades to replace him. Their options are Weekes who is a Fullback or Five-Eighth, Adam Cook a Fullback turned Halfback with only 1 game in NRL or Strange move to 7 when he is a 6? Canberra cannot win without Fogarty as they don't have a proper half. Getting Sanders now however could be the way to go.

• The Savage ship has sailed, the time to get him was 18 months ago when he was stuck in reserves. I've been saying for years we should have invested in him. Others have mentioned Tristan Sailor, for the love of God I hope someone at our club is looking at him because he ain't going to get a starting gig at the Broncs any time soon. I think the age of our playing group and the way contracts are structured we are heading for some serious pain in the next few years and a complete rebuild.

• Definitely Sailor is quick, good feet and can play a number of positions, been saying this for a while

• Exactly and time is of the essence as circumstances will undoubtedly change. From a certain perspective, players need to be viewed as commodities whose value fluctuates for a range of reasons. We have not done a good job of looking into the future with our own roster and what it offers going forward nor what is on offer in the broader market.

• It could be a St. George scenario where the team is bad but Moses holds us up, like Hunt does.

We can reboot to get ready for transition but need to be smart with it and BA is not the guy to do that. Our backline is shaping up nicely for future with Penisini and Lomax, plus Richie Penisini. We have our halves for 4 years at least. MA at Hooker. Just a few added additions or juniors but need to act quick.

• He ain't going nowhere , he's had offers from other clubs and has told his old man he would rather stay at Brisbane and roll the dice than take a starting gig at a club that's not his home. He loves The Broncos and won't leave . The only place I could see him moving to would be The Dolphins or wherever Bennett goes. Unless we get Bennett we couldn't get Sailor with all the money in the world. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Tad replied to SuperEel 22's discussion Parramatta's Season Balances On A Razor's Edge
"I think Bennett is around 73 74 How many years coaching does he have left on him? Is that really what Parra need right now and do we start the whole thing again in a couple of years?
Maybe if Chieka (sp) could be a better longer term option and…"
11 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"Can't believe how many dumb fools are here, NO player has a get out clause if BA is sacked or leaves, I can guarantee that 100%."
1 hour ago
Michael W. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Get out clauses attached to BA
"I can see it now, Bennett signs 24 players to replace the ones who had clauses in their contracts, headed by the Bromych bros, Kaufusi and an elite halves combo in Nikorima and Milford."
2 hours ago
"Typical flog, your name says it all..Anal is."
2 hours ago
More…