Interesting times

NRL newcomers the Dolphins are growing increasingly confident in their chase for star Parramatta five-eighth Dylan Brown, potentially giving Wayne Bennett the dream halves partnership of the future.

The talk is the Dolphins will go in excess of $1-million-a-season to tempt the Kiwi star away from Parramatta, which is way more than the Eels are prepared to pay to keep Brown.

The other concern for the Eels is that potentially losing Mitchell Moses would also make it more temping for Brown to leave, especially on the back of the recent exit of gun dummy half Reed Mahoney to the Bulldogs.

There is now no doubt that Parramatta’s hopes of putting to bed the contract circus won’t drag on well into the New Year.

And the growing fear is it could ultimately end up costing the 2022 NRL grand finalists it’s two biggest stars.

But for Bennett it could end up the key signing the Dolphins have been sweating on all year after copping it for all the players they have missed out on.

Wayne Bennett’s Dolphins are circling Dylan Brown, and are confident they will get their man.

Bennett is not only a massive fan of the star Kiwi five-eighth, but he already has gun teenager Isaiya Katoa locked away as the Dolphins’ long-term No.7.

Katoa is widely considered the most dominant young playmaker emerging in the game, with the Penrith junior recently playing for Tonga at the World Cup.

Given Brown is still only 22, it would give the NRL’s newest franchise a massive foundation for years to come.

Meanwhile, Moses stands to pocket as much as $1.4 million-a-season to sign with Wests Tigers, which would make him the highest paid player in the game.

And while the Bulldogs won’t go that big, they are said to be willing to go to well over the reported $1m-a-season the Eels are currently prepared to pay to keep their star halfback.

The other potential factor in all this is that the Dogs are also closing in on signing Penrith centre Stephen Crichton to play fullback.

Securing Moses would complete a star-studded spine when you throw in Mahoney at hooker and Matt Burton at five-eighth.

But where that would potentially leave Parramatta is in a world of hurt.

It is understood Moses’ camp has told the Tigers and Dogs he will let them know his answer one way or another by Christmas.

And while Brown is not expected to make his final decision until closer to the start of the new season in March, the longer it drags out the more it puts Parramatta in an unenviable position

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't necessarily believe that . Who doesn't want to make a GF from their own intrinsic motivation and childhood dreams ??? I don't think it really can be linked definitively to the coach at all . 

to me it is more indicative what occurs AFTER - the decisions players make on their futures , where they see their development etc 

• LB if your in MM's shoes it can't be about the money it's got to be something else for him to leave now wheather that is he feels the coaching somewhere else is more enticing I don't know.But if he's going for the money in my eyes that's a mistake because he's going to a worse spot.It's got to be about winning and the better situation.

The only way Parra can screw this is if they come up with an insult of an offer because the situation here is better than team wise than a lot being mentioned who are flashing the cash.

• Fair enough the managers have a job to do but not hard to see what's going on here:

Manager leaks story to press-tigers want Moses right now.

Press loves Parra stories as they sell and we have the biggest supporter base

Tigers don't deny story as they would love to see us pay overs for Moses

Reality-No possible way Tigers can afford Moses with Brooks on $1.2m/year in his last season.

Player managers would have incentives built into their agreement based on if they get xx% above market. 

Both Moses and Brown have said many times they love Parra and don't want to go anywhere. Surely that hasn't changed since making a GF so the managers assignment is to do the best deal he can at Parra. The sticking point is how far/high we're willing to go

• This interesting news 

Bulldogs sign Bronson Xerri for 2024 season on two-year deal despite doping ban

• Will be a good buy for them.

• Hmmm let's see how he goes without being juiced up. Worth the risk and would be cheap.

• Has the salary cap increase been finalised? Nothing can happen till we know how much money we have to spend so all the speculation is pure BS.

• Parramatta are heading for a very long period in the bottom half of the ladder. Its absolutely inevitable as our junior systems is one of the worst in the league, our roster management is shit as we are losing the wrong players and signing nobody's like Jake, and Brad is almost passed his used by date.  We are either missing or just scraping through in 23' mark my words I've seen it before. We are headed for the basement 

We should have both halves wrapped up on long contracts a long time ago, and be chasing players like Xerri who has just signed for the dogs 🐕 who is probably on less to what Jake is earning 

Our management is probably  trying to guage where the average fan is at  by going to tct, where we have outstanding junior grades and probably beating the ' oh well players come and go drum'.   

• That could very well be true and it's why it's crucial they get these halves over the line or as your opening sentence mentions we are in for alot of pain.

• Top four team chief don't think it will change next year

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Hugo replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"We desperately need to appoint a key HOF. Someone experienced like a Frank Ponisi, Shane Richardson or a Peter Parr. 
This is the starting point. 
I'd even go for Brian Smith but I think Brian has well and truly retired or a  Matt Cameron to rebuild…"
2 minutes ago
Bup replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Lane is cooked
"That's part of it Mace but he's played nearly 200 first grade games and a near 30 year old backrower it's not good enough to not complete your assignments.
As for Lucas , he's old man's staying with me in the next week or so , I'll definitely ask…"
4 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"X a billion trillion much more of a natural footballer 
is a real shame 😞"
11 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Cranky Brad is here!!!'s discussion Bye bye Brad Arthur
"Who is next cab off the rank as a youngster for a contract ? Would it be MA ? could that have influenced any decision making perhaps 🤔I know they play diff positions 🤔🤔"
12 minutes ago
More…