GUTHERSON BLAIZES A TRAIL FOR TALAGI AT NO.1
Fatima Kdouh - in Darwin
Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has anointed boom rookie Blaize Talagi as the long-term successor to Clint Gutherson at fullback.

Talagi, the brightest prospect at the Eels, has played most of his junior representative football at five-eighth and centre but the youngster has now told Arthur he has ambitions to wear the No.1 jersey.

Last year, Arthur revealed the club was searching for an X-factor fullback that could see skipper Gutherson shifted into the centres.

Arthur pointed out that Talagi’s desire to play at fullback would not trigger that backline reshuffle anytime soon.

But given halfback Mitchell Moses is signed until the end of 2028 and five-eighth Dylan Brown until 2031, the 19-year old Talagi is being groomed to take over from Gutherson.

Arthur conceded Talagi’s versatility meant the coach was still working out his best position in the NRL side but he was confident fullback was where the playmaker could add the most value.

“None of us (know his best position) and I don’t know if Blaize does,” Arthur said.

“We’ve talked to him about it. He is very keen to see how he goes in the fullback role and often their best position is the position they like. He likes fullback.

“We are not in a hurry to replace Gutho because he is our captain and we can’t win without him, he’s pretty important to us. But Blaize is 19 and has plenty of time to learn that role.

“I’m probably thinking that fullback long term will suit him, especially in our team where we have two halves that are going to be here for a long time. The club has done a good job in locking them down.”

Talagi has played three games at fullback in NSW Cup this year.

He trained at fullback during the week ahead of tonight’s clash against the Dolphins with the club managing Gutherson’s workload in 2024.

“Gutho wasn’t able to train during the week so he was able to fit in there,” Arthur revealed.

Dragons star Zac Lomax will join the club in 2025, where he is likely to play at centre but he too has expressed a desire to be an NRL fullback.

The decision to back Talagi at fullback in the future could play a significant role in keeping the local junior at the club.

Like Ethan Sanders, Talagi hit the open market after round 6 and rivals are free to approach the youngster.

New NRL rules prevent players who are off contract and have limited experience in senior rugby league negotiating with rival clubs prior to round 6.

Talagi made his NRL debut at centre in round 3 before Arthur handed him the No.6 jumper in round 5 after halfback Mitchell Moses suffered a broken foot but was dropped back to NSW Cup after just two games.

The coach has recalled the boom teenager into the side this week but on the bench.

Arthur was reluctant to label Talagi as the X-factor he was searching for but said the club was willing to do what it took to find out.

“It’s about giving him experience that you can’t take off him,” Arthur said.

“It comes with its challenges. Often they can come up with a big moment in the game, or a negative moment and cost you a game of footy. So that’s a risk we are prepared to take as a club and a team because we know that long term he’s got a future for us.

“In terms of whether he can provide that X-factor, I don’t want to put that label on him yet. He doesn’t want to be a bench player and we don’t want him to be a bench player but that’s just another part of his development process.”

Brown conceded Talagi’s natural ability made him suited to the No.6 role but despite the roadblocks in that position, he urged the youngster to commit his future to the Eels.

“I just think he should stay where he knows he is going to learn. There is myself and Mitchy he can learn off but we don’t know if that’s going to be his best position,” Brown said.

“I got thrown in the deep end, the same with him. Mine was a bit different though, Corey (Norman) left the club and it was like, ‘this is yours’.” — with Jen Dawson and 3 others.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Well said HKF, 100% agree with you. He needs as much game time at Fullback as possible. Telling you now, once Lomax is here do you think BA would put Talagi at 1 or Lomax at 1 if Gutho was out?

• The water has to pass under the bridge before you can answer that LB, just pissing into the wind until then.

• It's easy as a supporter to bag selections but we don't always know what's going on. In late 22 BA copped a lot of flak for having JA on the bench but then we find out Guth was playing with a busted hand. Clint could be getting through games on needles, we just never know. 

A coach is not going to say " ........ is busted so we got the young bloke on the bench as a precaution" 

• Gutho didn't train all week apparently 

• He also needs the experience in NRL. He won't be on the bench all year and will be sent back to NSW cup to work on certain things he has learnt.

• I think put him at wing. He gets 1st grade experience and then moves to fb. We did the same thing with Hayne

• Hayne was a once in a generation player.....are you suggesting this kid is in that league?

• No, but, this is the right of passage for a lot of fullbacks... 

• Judging by these comments, I wouldn't be surprised if Blaize interchanges a bit with Gutho from around the 30 minute mark and Lussick goes off for a 20/25 minute breather.

Gutho getting into dummy half a bit and Blaise going to the back when we have field position.

Gutho reverting to custodian when the opposition is in the red zone.

Id be interested to see how they'd make that work.

• I agree.

I also think Lomax and Gutho will be on an edge together next year and Talagi will be Fullback.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"I think the biggest problem with this club is we have a huge catchment but we aren't a development club.I think that's our weakness we are governed by the player market because we are just not good enough at developingand  bringing through enough FG…"
19 seconds ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"Who'd have thought that signing old blokes to mega rich long term contracts could come back to bite us.  Seems even these journos forget that Mark Oneill exists. Talk about a nobody when even the journos circling for blood don't remember you're…"
4 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"NOS, thanks for sharing this article, buddy.
Another name that got thrown around yesterday: Brian McDermott, the current Newcastle senior assistant, defence coach, from last year.
He's the most successful coach in Super League history: four titles…"
5 minutes ago
Eli Stephens replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"Why does Ricky Stuart avoid these conversations, hasn't won a comp since 2002 🤣"
5 minutes ago
More…