GUTHERSON BLAIZES A TRAIL FOR TALAGI AT NO.1
Fatima Kdouh - in Darwin
Parramatta coach Brad Arthur has anointed boom rookie Blaize Talagi as the long-term successor to Clint Gutherson at fullback.

Talagi, the brightest prospect at the Eels, has played most of his junior representative football at five-eighth and centre but the youngster has now told Arthur he has ambitions to wear the No.1 jersey.

Last year, Arthur revealed the club was searching for an X-factor fullback that could see skipper Gutherson shifted into the centres.

Arthur pointed out that Talagi’s desire to play at fullback would not trigger that backline reshuffle anytime soon.

But given halfback Mitchell Moses is signed until the end of 2028 and five-eighth Dylan Brown until 2031, the 19-year old Talagi is being groomed to take over from Gutherson.

Arthur conceded Talagi’s versatility meant the coach was still working out his best position in the NRL side but he was confident fullback was where the playmaker could add the most value.

“None of us (know his best position) and I don’t know if Blaize does,” Arthur said.

“We’ve talked to him about it. He is very keen to see how he goes in the fullback role and often their best position is the position they like. He likes fullback.

“We are not in a hurry to replace Gutho because he is our captain and we can’t win without him, he’s pretty important to us. But Blaize is 19 and has plenty of time to learn that role.

“I’m probably thinking that fullback long term will suit him, especially in our team where we have two halves that are going to be here for a long time. The club has done a good job in locking them down.”

Talagi has played three games at fullback in NSW Cup this year.

He trained at fullback during the week ahead of tonight’s clash against the Dolphins with the club managing Gutherson’s workload in 2024.

“Gutho wasn’t able to train during the week so he was able to fit in there,” Arthur revealed.

Dragons star Zac Lomax will join the club in 2025, where he is likely to play at centre but he too has expressed a desire to be an NRL fullback.

The decision to back Talagi at fullback in the future could play a significant role in keeping the local junior at the club.

Like Ethan Sanders, Talagi hit the open market after round 6 and rivals are free to approach the youngster.

New NRL rules prevent players who are off contract and have limited experience in senior rugby league negotiating with rival clubs prior to round 6.

Talagi made his NRL debut at centre in round 3 before Arthur handed him the No.6 jumper in round 5 after halfback Mitchell Moses suffered a broken foot but was dropped back to NSW Cup after just two games.

The coach has recalled the boom teenager into the side this week but on the bench.

Arthur was reluctant to label Talagi as the X-factor he was searching for but said the club was willing to do what it took to find out.

“It’s about giving him experience that you can’t take off him,” Arthur said.

“It comes with its challenges. Often they can come up with a big moment in the game, or a negative moment and cost you a game of footy. So that’s a risk we are prepared to take as a club and a team because we know that long term he’s got a future for us.

“In terms of whether he can provide that X-factor, I don’t want to put that label on him yet. He doesn’t want to be a bench player and we don’t want him to be a bench player but that’s just another part of his development process.”

Brown conceded Talagi’s natural ability made him suited to the No.6 role but despite the roadblocks in that position, he urged the youngster to commit his future to the Eels.

“I just think he should stay where he knows he is going to learn. There is myself and Mitchy he can learn off but we don’t know if that’s going to be his best position,” Brown said.

“I got thrown in the deep end, the same with him. Mine was a bit different though, Corey (Norman) left the club and it was like, ‘this is yours’.” — with Jen Dawson and 3 others.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I would take odds on that Printzy, there is much chance of that happening as......Chiefy passing an entrance exam to be a zoo cage cleaner.12429291454?profile=RESIZE_400x

• You really think BA is that clever?

• I read somewhere Talagi was in same situation as Sanders and able to negotiate after round 6 but has an option in his favour he can activate.  If so that is probably why BA moved him to 5/8 instead of bringing in Sanders or even Asi which would have been better for the team.  Sanders doesn't want to wait for Moses and Dylan but Talagi has more versatility, so makes sense ensure Talagi feels like club are backing him for long term success where Sanders likely to leave anyway.

I just dont think he is a 5/8 and haven't seen enough of him for full back.  Time at fullback in cup along with few NRL games at winger would be the best option to develop Talagi into Guthos replacement not on the bench.

• Sanders was going to leave regardless of whether he played recently. Talagi IMO is always going to resign as he has been training at fullback all pre-season. It is not a decision they have made just now to keep him at the club. 

• Centre to me is his best position, with how he runs and passes. But the club have liked him for a long, long time. They will not let him go. Out of his 3 games, he has been great in one, average in one and not good in one. The one where he was great? At Centre.

It will be a battle between him and Lomax for future 1 spot, nice competition to have really.

• I believe BA could bring the best out of Schuster. This player is a natural footballer that's got into bad lazy habits. I know BA could shape him in a top utility if he willing to change his attitude & focuse on his football. BA brought out the best in many players that some here have criticised heavily, Moses, RCG, Brown (Manly), Lang, Gutho & others. With not many teams interested, maybe a cheap talented player will be an addition. 

• He's got no heart.

He always goes for the easy option first doesn't run hard doesn't use his size.Hes a110 kg guy playing like an 85 kg guy.Hes still slow after doing a off season with Roger Fabri.

I don't think that changes he's the classic guy whose got by on his skills and doesn't work hard enough consistently.The contract hell no.

• Only issue is, do we have the time to try and get best out of him. It took Cartwright two years under BA to become a great footballer and he was not as bad with attitude as Schuster. 

• No issues for mine.

What I do like is he's been given every opportunity and the balls in his court.

Nothing is given to him he has to earn it.I mean if he continues to be given the mentioned you just have to hope he pays it back.

• I don't see an issue with Brad bringing him off the bench and giving him NRL game time. Most fullbacks don't debut at fullback. They get slowly brought through either on the wing or off the bench.

He'll no doubt spend time at Cup level throughout the year and throughout his initial NRL career to acclimatise to fullback. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Parra Eels replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"What makes you think the club is taking any action whatsoever?
I think they are still sitting on their thumbs"
18 seconds ago
LB replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"Nicely said Parra Dice. I myself have been victim of going over the top with the bashing of BA at times but have and always will say i will look back on BA's time fondly as he has a 53% winning record at this stage. Take out that dreadful 2018 year…"
6 minutes ago
Old School Eel replied to EA's discussion If you could sign 2 players ..
"This! Or any of  Lane, Matterson, Cartright, to Dragons or Souths for either Lomax and/or Cook now."
17 minutes ago
Longfin Eel replied to Nightmare Off-Season's discussion What Jason Demetriou’s axing as South Sydney coach means for struggling powerhouse Parramatta Eels
"It sounds like the writer has hit the nail on the head here stating that most of our problems stem from an ageing lineup. Yes we do have some very good juniors coming through in some positions, but we need this to escalate and to cover all…"
18 minutes ago
More…