The Parramatta Eels are sadly in denial.
After a pathetic performance against the Dolphins on Friday night, Eels chairman Sean McElduff has refused to concede there is a problem with coach Brad Arthur.

They have now conceded 105 points in the last three games against the Raiders, Cowboys and Dolphins and face a tough three weeks against Manly, the Broncos and Storm.

I spoke to McElduff over the weekend about the current situation.

Read on and you’ll see what I mean about them being in denial.

Buzz: How’s the coach looking?

McElduff: It’s not panic stations yet.

Buzz: That was terrible on Friday night, they showed no heart in the second half.

McElduff: It wasn’t a good performance, I agree. You heard what the coach said afterwards.

Buzz: And you were flogged two weeks ago against the Raiders.

McElduff: In between that we had a good win against the Cowboys. Before the Canberra game we beat Manly.

Buzz: But surely the coach is under pressure.

McElduff: I wouldn’t say so at this stage.

Buzz: But you didn’t make the eight last year.

McElduff: We expect to be a finals team but we’re just seven games into the comp.

Buzz: So you’re not even looking at the coaching position?

McElduff: No, we’re not. It’s too early. Obviously we’re missing Mitchell (Moses). He’s a massive loss.

Buzz: Okay, if you don’t make the eight, is Brad safe?

McElduff: It’s too early to have that

Buzz: It’s a fair question.

McElduff: It’s a reasonable question but it depends. If you get lapped every week, it’s one scenario. If you miss the eight but have injuries, it’s how the team’s performing for the coach.

There’s a whole host of things. It’s futile speculating now because we’re only seven games into a 25-game season. That’s the way I think about it. As I said, we beat the Cowboys last week.

Buzz: You’ve conceded 85 points against Canberra and the Dolphins.

McElduff: Canberra in Canberra is a tough game. The Dolphins performance was terrible. The coach said that. Let’s see how we respond. Brad’s been good for a long time. It’s not even something we’re even contemplating at this time.

Buzz: Your fans are very angry.

McElduff: I can understand that after the performance on Friday night.

So on that note we ended the conversation.

That second half performance in Darwin on Friday night was the worst I’ve seen from a Parramatta Eels side for 10 years.

Arthur said after the game: “We gave up.” And he was spot on.

Somehow the Dolphins scored eight tries between the 50th and 75th minutes. That’s almost a try every three minutes.

It’s easy for people in denial like McElduff to blame it on the absence of Moses.

Not to mention the Dolphins were without Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow, Tom Flegler, Felise Kaufusi and Herbie Farnworth, close enough to their best four players.

Besides, I’m not sure Moses could have saved any of the eight tries in those 25 minutes. I’m also not sure he could have stopped Canberra scoring 41 points two weeks earlier. This team has conceded an average of 35 points a game in three weeks.

All clubs suffer injuries to key players.

Look how Penrith keep finding ways to win without Nathan Cleary.

The Broncos seem to manage when Adam Reynolds is not there.

Storm had Cameron Munster out for the first five weeks but kept winning.

Moses is not the reason Parramatta is in crisis.

This goes back to the last season’s premiership capitulation.

They have now won just six of their last 15 games.

The players are not responding to Arthur’s coaching. It’s as simple as that.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Everyone needs to calm down leave the carry on later in the season one win out of the eight hardly dooms day cows are in the same boat

• I think given last years results, this year was always going to be a watershed year. The fans recognise that the window is slamming shut. Our best forwards are declining and there is nothing coming through. 

Now we see this shit. We have endured this rodeo time and time again . It's no wonder fans have just as said - ok well that's enough. 

We see the potential. 

• wouldn't be surprised if our next head coach is Gutho.

I beleive he'll make a great coach one day, I'm sure his next contract will have a coaching aspect to it .

I don't think it's a good idea however to have a former player coach a side no matter his credentials within 5 years of retiring.

They should do an apprenticeship at a number of clubs, the Eels do things a little different though.

• Said it before and I'll say it again. BA will keep collecting his salary, lay low, don't make any waves or upset anybody of note and maintain the status quo until he is sacked. And whilst we're there abouts near the top eight or in the top eight, making a bit of a profit the board can also collect their wage. 

The situation at the Eels reminds me of a dog laying in the sun on the balcony with a nail sticking up into his ribs. It hurts a bit but he is enjoying the sun too much to get up amd move.

Until we get a board and or a coach who love this club (as we the fans do) and want to win more than wanting to just make a litlle profit nothing will change.

• You are of course correct - only way BA ever leaves the Eels is if he gets blind sided by the board or accidentally dies. No chance of the first.

BAs next job should be as a Hollywood actor in a blood sucking vampire film.

He's been sucking the club dry now for 11 years so he's perfect for that type of role in Hollywood.

• Sorry Yawn, if you don't think BA loves the club your sadly askew. The other thing is he is not interested in the money and I am sure the board members are not either.

If you do not understand all the drivers are "ego" then you "don't understand that you dont understand" an extremely common trait on this site.....I am bemused that you love the club "as we fans do" who actually speaks for the "we" here?

There are no simple answers to the issues here, who ever replaces "who the replacement/s are" will be turned on at the first glimmer of failure or something that is agenda driven, god help us if Fong doesn't like the new incumbent and watch the sychophants come out say "yeh".

Please note Heisen that boards don't receive wages!..... that doesn't mean they are not paid!

• For me, one thing that should stop a lack of effort during a game is knowing that this will be highlighted in the video session. Do the players care? Do they fear to be even dropped? Seems not. Maybe it's them saying they really don't want to play in Darwin in future.

The fact they gave up and were all smiles after the game speaks volumes. There is no fear there or respect for the coach at all. It's the lunatics running the Asylum. The players just have to turn up without any repurcussions.

BA has called out most of the team now. Next weeks game will be interesting.

I do hope the CEO and board see this for what it is, and he is just playing poker with the media.

• Look is he going to come out and say "he has 2 games to turn it around?"

Only thing I didn't like was the comment about missing the 8 with injuries. Thats the problem, Moses injury will save him and he will get extension as you cannot have a coach off contract going into a season, especially when half the squad is off contract too. He will be extended til 2027 minimum.

• Does this surprise you ? See Yawns comments above. The club will scratch and crawl for any excuse to keep BA. There is a difference between demanding absolute excellence and just chugging along and making money. 

The club had better wake up because we are a resilient bunch but the youngsters are not going to be there for the Eels if we are the new Wests Tigers. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Electric Eel 2 replied to Frankie Fong's discussion THE BUSH COACH WILL NEVER QUIT 🤣🤣
"PT suggested this the other day. Not a bad call at all IMO."
3 minutes ago
Space Eel replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"I would keep Penesini x2, Brown, Moses, Lomax,RCG, Hopgood Joe OF, Cartwright, Gregg and a few youngsters and then start again firstly with the best young hookers from flegg, a few Semi Radradras and WAYNE and his own crew."
44 minutes ago
Yawn replied to Frankie Fong's discussion THE BUSH COACH WILL NEVER QUIT 🤣🤣
"Oh I understand alright and why the personal attacks on Carlo and I. Aren't we allowed an opinion Popper.
And you do understand that PNG is full of pygmys. They're variety are the giant version. The type you're referring to are from The Fuckawi…"
44 minutes ago
Space Eel replied to Seraph's discussion Injuries and age - who makes the cut?
"Won't get any players until you get a decent coach- end of story."
49 minutes ago
More…