Eager Roosters cast line for spurned Eel Mortimer

Eager Roosters cast line for spurned Eel Mortimer

Daniel Lane
September 25, 2011
Good kid ... Daniel Mortimer.

Good kid ... Daniel Mortimer. Photo: Getty Images

PARRAMATTA discard Daniel Mortimer is being targeted by the Sydney Roosters to fill the void left by the abrupt departure of controversial five-eighth Todd Carney.

Sydney Roosters chief executive Steve Noyce told The Sun-Herald yesterday his club had contacted Mortimer's manager, Steve Gillis, to inquire about the 22-year-old's future after Eels coach Stephen Kearney told him he was not included in Parramatta's plans for the future.

l

He was dropped mid-season to Parramatta's NSW Cup side Wentworthville and, in a demoralising finale to the year, had to look on as Kearney opted to use veteran winger Luke Burt as his five-eighth, and then halfback, in the final two rounds.

However, Noyce said that while the Roosters were interested in talking further, it was up to Mortimer and Parramatta to finalise a release two years before his $220,000-a-season contract was due to expire.

''We spoke to Daniel's manager a couple of weeks ago but it is up to Daniel and the Parramatta club to work through a few [contractual] issues first,'' Noyce said. ''That's first base and if it happened we could talk after that.''

Two years ago Mortimer was proclaimed a future superstar when he aided the Eels' grand final assault. However, Kearney preferred to use several other players, Burt included, even when the club's halves stocks were virtually non-existent.

It's understood that after Carney - who captured the public's attention and the Dally M Medal after an outstanding 2010 season which led to a grand final appearance - was shown the door for disciplinary breaches, Smith asked people he considered trustworthy for their thoughts on Mortimer's character and reliability.

''Everyone says he's a good kid but … it is up to his management and Parramatta to work something out first,'' Noyce said.

Mortimer told The Sun-Herald he intended to have a big off-season to come back better despite the bad luck of 2011.

Mortimer won the admiration of teammates when, despite knowing he was not wanted, he continued to train and remained behind after training to do one-on-one defensive drills with skipper Nathan Hindmarsh.

Although desperate to play first grade again, Mortimer chose to stay at Parramatta when the club in July granted him permission to seek another club. It was also late in the season and NRL clubs had already done most of their player recruiting for 2012. Mortimer ruled out playing in England because he wanted to prove himself in the NRL..



Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/eager-roosters-cast-line-for-spurned-eel-mortimer-20110924-1kqmr.html#ixzz1YuOWxEbt

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • Give him a few rounds to redeem himself! After all, I'd prefer morts getting a go before Roberts!
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Adam Magrath replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin 🐐's discussion R360 Delayed Until 2028: Good News
"I also forgot to mention that every player (individually I mean) improved under Ryles over the course of the season. You could put in an argument for Lomax regressing towards the end but it wasn't by much. All good signs in my view."
14 minutes ago
Adam Magrath replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin 🐐's discussion R360 Delayed Until 2028: Good News
"It's a start mate, the foundations have been laid ready to be built on in 2026. I was optimistic even after round 1, mainly due to how Ryles carried himself in the post match presser when absolutely everything was against us.
From there things…"
21 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin 🐐's discussion R360 Delayed Until 2028: Good News
"You raise a very good case Bluey.....gee I hope you are wrong....we need him so badly IMO."
1 hour ago
Perpetual Motion replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin 🐐's discussion R360 Delayed Until 2028: Good News
"10 years ago."
1 hour ago
More…