Carty Party 2021

Parramatta sign enigmatic playmaker Cartwright on one-year deal

By Adrian Proszenko

Parramatta have thrown Bryce Cartwright a lifeline that gives the enigmatic forward one final chance to fulfil his potential.

The Eels are set to sign Cartwright on a one-year deal with the guarantee of a top-30 spot for 2021. However, the former Panthers and Titans utility has taken a drastic pay cut in order to get another opportunity in the NRL, agreeing to a minimum-wage contract. It is a far cry from the marquee money he was receiving on the Gold Coast after bursting onto the scene as a rookie with Penrith.

"If I was a club, I'd be very wary," Johns said at the time.

"It's up to Bryce. The problem with Bryce is he's had so much talent.

"Everyone can see how much talent he has. You look at rugby league history in the professional era in the last 20 years, some players who have so much talent, it just doesn't do them service because they don't have to work that hard.

"They get on the field and they can do things which take your breath away, but they haven't got that hard edge about working tough and working hard."

The Eels are in the process of filling out the finals spots of their roster for next year. They have signed Cowboys centre Tom Opacic, Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i and utility Joey Lussick from the Super League.

The club is also privately bracing for the prospect of having to replace veteran centre Michael Jennings, who returned a positive A-sample to performance-enhancing substances earlier this month. Centre is one of the positions Cartwright is capable of filling

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I thought as soon as Carty said he wanted to come back to Sydney, ee would sign him. As previously discussed on here, could be a good move or a bad one. Bryce has talent, and is only 25, so if he knuckles down, he could be good. A younger and more talented version of Taka. Can play 58, centre and backrow. Worth a try on minimum wage and only one year.

• I'm happy enough with this. He seems determined to do better, and BA has proven he can turn these sort of players around. Minium wage too so not blowing the budget.

• Haven't seen him play a decent game in forever. Have seen him play some absolute shockers though. He'd be 100/1 to become a decent top 17 player. 

• I'll take a piece of those odds Muttly

There's only upside to signing him for one year on the minimum

• So much upside to this it aint funny, with literally no downside.

Minimum pay so what $80 to $100'000.

1 year contract so he needs to perform

No club wants him so his in his last chance saloon

Returning to Sydney with support structures

Highly motivated to now succeed.

Highly talented

Can play in the backs or forwards

Is an upgrade on Salmon, Taka, Field etc 

If he finds his feet and puts in, this kid can really add something to the first grade side.

If he dosnt then he plays reserve grade and provides cover for injuries for a couple of games and gets let go after taking only minimum wage.

More upside then downside i think.

• Just looked at Bryce's wiki page, and it said "Parramatta eels 2021". Usually a good indicator.

Welcome aboard Bryce

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"I mean it's terrible isn't it while Melbourne and alike look for players all over the shop what are we doing lining up with everyone else looking in the same shopping window.
Then we get the sook brigade crying why other teams can get this player…"
12 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Muttman bought up Matt Cameron as an ex Parra guy brought through under Brian Smith as a key hire for me before they worry about FG they need to fix the layers underneath.
This in my eyes is the key hire and give him the tools to succeed.After the…"
19 minutes ago
Seth hardy replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Mate just so we all get it can you please say " higher pay grade" and " fijian superstar " one more time. "
25 minutes ago
Bob Smith replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Manly are very beatable. Their defence out wide is highly suspect. However, the eels look very tired, and I can't see them taking advantage. "
38 minutes ago
More…