Big News On Lomax

The inside information and this is from a credible source,  - This Saturday will be the last game Lomax will play in the red V.  Make of this what you will.  Parramatta are odds on and have made it known through the media that we are after him.

Whether he joins the eels or another team, I've only been told that He'll be playing in other colours in the next few weeks. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I didn't say classy, I said expensive 

2020 I don't believe Chambers was at the Storm, Olam was on his first cheap contract out of the Qcup and Brenko Lee was also cheap 

Latrell and Manu weren't on huge money, not back then. They were still on their first contracts Once Manu got big coin the Chooks have been struggling up front 

Bird was also a youngster (20) he only got expensive when he got to the Bronx and actually did a lot of damage to their cap

The Storm paid more for Chambets than any other of their centres yet he still wasn't on top shelf centre money

You have to go back to Jennings and Lyon

The majority of clubs that spend big coin on centres slide down the ladder

It's a position we have develop, if we waste money on Lomax it'll do one of two things- weaken our middle or we'll struggle to keep talent coming through 

• Which is why I asked what you consider expensive? Would you say 500k? 600k?

If these players at up to 600k are classy & not expensive, it's a pretty small window reliant on what's available?

Which brings us back to the development angle, and that just feels at least 1-2 years off, but Talagi might prove that wrong if he's seen as a centre.

Lomax under BA would be a different player imo, and with his want to play centre & get out of the Dragons, it could work for us. Know you disagree & can understand that.

• 600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts pressure on our forwards and makes it easier to play the one out shit.

Put an expensive centre in our team and it won't really improve us much because our sets would still start negatively 

• The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 

So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also investing a lot to keep their centres.

All for the development route with Talagi & Penisini Jnr, but, Richard is now missing a year of the game, and while Talagi is a must keep, is he ready to be a premiership level 'centre' in 2024? Maybe he will be, seems to have the mentality for it.

But there is a lot of risk in relying so heavily on these juniors to fill vital positions at a premiership contending level over the next 1-3 years, longer term definitely, but an important portion of our side will be in the twighlight of their career in 3 seasons.

Our forward pack & spine can genuinely challenge for a premiership now.

I'm with you a genuine metre eating winger would've been perfect, but none are available & personally believe we'd still need another centre. Lomax covers both, and fullback. 

Its a tough position for the club & at least we know the Eels won't spend huge money on Lomax, it would have to be a reasonable deal & he might take that for the opportunity.

But, as mentioned, it all probably hinges on what position the club see Talagi's future in.

• 500k for May is well worth it. Penrith know what they'll get from him every week but Lomax is inconsistent, right now he's playing his best football because he's advertising himself to other clubs. When his attitude is down his game can be  poor.

With regards to Tago I have a suspicion that he probably is the Grubs replacement, if not and he stays at centre then I'll have a friendly bet with you that Penrith will slide

Look at Souths, they spent big on the lanky centre and then Wighton but what good is it if they have no grunt up front?

• Agree, May is value at 500k.

Moving Tago to 6 is interesting, not sure he's a 5/8th in skillset?! He's a gun centre and maybe Panthers didn't want to lose both him and Crichton? 

With South's I feel they lost direction without Reynolds, too many egos in that team to not have a selfless & respected voice / leader. 

Would a consistent Lomax be worth 600k to you? To me that's value, and to me that's what BA would get from him - 100% effort. 

It's a gamble as they all are, Al.

It'll be an interesting watch to see all this play out.

• If Tago does stay at centre then it does coincide with them having a budget 6 but I still think the plan will be to move him

• Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and Cole to fill the gap till the Jett Cleary is ready.

• Mick Cronin

• If NOS leaves Melb and they grab Lomax, what about Meaney to Eels. 

I would prefer a player like Wishart but don't see him leaving Melbourne as they love him there.  Genuine utility playing half, hooker centre, wing, and 14 at NRL level.   Didn't set the world in fire in all positions but was solid and safe in every position 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Mitchy replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"Gees that is rooooobish coffee mate.
Personally I'm a Gloria Jeans coffee person - in all seriousness IF We were after another rookie it would not surprise me with our club..."
5 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"Yeah, to his sisters credit she was able to keep it afloat for him longer than it should've been.  He had no idea how to manage a business. And this was post footy , it wasn't like he was a 21 year old kid. "
5 minutes ago
Mitchy replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"I agree here Matthew but let's see if this is all piss and wind. "
6 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Bennett is a smokescreen, we are chasing Ryles.
"Yeh! but you can do better, young newly wed like yourself, you could get Carlo to train you.....just imagine what she has learnt from the catholic church."
8 minutes ago
More…