Big League Gone for 2020

I have been eagerly awaiting the next issue of Big League to only be told that it's for the year.   Jumped on the website to see this.... Very disapointed!! 

 

The NRL will be without an official program for the first time in a century with the Big League magazine to be shut down for 2020.

The weekly publication’s six full-time staff were told on Wednesday morning that it would not be produced this year, with NRL games to go ahead without crowds.

Officially owned by the NRL and licensed to News Corp, the magazine has been the record for the game since its inception 100 years ago in 1920.

It also produces the official programs for State of Origin and grand finals, as well as the season guide.

The first two rounds for this season and the overall preview had already been printed and sold.

The decision will leave the code without a recognised magazine this year after Rugby League Week was shut down by Bauer Media Group in 2017.

There are still hopes Big League could be revived for 2021.

Under the long-standing deal between News Corp and the NRL, the league pays the media company an annual fee to produce the magazine.

News Corp then pays for staff salaries and production costs.

Staff had been stood down since the competition was stopped in March, with the view to return on its resumption later this month.

The developments comes as the NRL attempts to cut costs across the game by up to $50 million.

Both the NRL and News Corp have been approached by AAP for comment.

 

I will miss the long sit on the throne catching up the pre and post game action.   Hopefully see a return in 2021?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • Don is good....

     

    V'Landys .... good

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael W. replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Lomax legal promise could create salary-cap headache for Storm
"This is how much the NRL looks after the "glamour" clubs. Shibasaki, current SOO and Australian rep, is on a miserly $140k this year. How does the NRL accept this."
2 hours ago
Randy Handlinger replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Lomax legal promise could create salary-cap headache for Storm
"He will fight for the vacant Port Kembla Heavyweight title and make a motza in pay-per-veiw...because everyone hates him now and watching him take some head-shots would be cathartic....villans get paid."
4 hours ago
KENDOZA replied to Cʜɪᴇғy Mclovin 🐐's discussion Teancum Brown pushing his case for R1
"Love how ryles is giving the young ones a crack"
7 hours ago
LB replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Lomax legal promise could create salary-cap headache for Storm
"They have never been in a position of not getting what they want. They said when first started Ryles should just tell the board to let him go as they let him go, despite not letting him touch Storm players for 12 months, they also said the Sydney…"
10 hours ago
More…