Big League Gone for 2020

I have been eagerly awaiting the next issue of Big League to only be told that it's for the year.   Jumped on the website to see this.... Very disapointed!! 

The NRL will be without an official program for the first time in a century with the Big League magazine to be shut down for 2020.

The weekly publication’s six full-time staff were told on Wednesday morning that it would not be produced this year, with NRL games to go ahead without crowds.

Officially owned by the NRL and licensed to News Corp, the magazine has been the record for the game since its inception 100 years ago in 1920.

It also produces the official programs for State of Origin and grand finals, as well as the season guide.

The first two rounds for this season and the overall preview had already been printed and sold.

The decision will leave the code without a recognised magazine this year after Rugby League Week was shut down by Bauer Media Group in 2017.

There are still hopes Big League could be revived for 2021.

Under the long-standing deal between News Corp and the NRL, the league pays the media company an annual fee to produce the magazine.

News Corp then pays for staff salaries and production costs.

Staff had been stood down since the competition was stopped in March, with the view to return on its resumption later this month.

The developments comes as the NRL attempts to cut costs across the game by up to $50 million.

Both the NRL and News Corp have been approached by AAP for comment.

I will miss the long sit on the throne catching up the pre and post game action.   Hopefully see a return in 2021?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Don is good....

V'Landys .... good

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

iamnot replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"You don't know the first thing about me Fong, so I don't really give a shit what your opinion is. I'm entitled to my opinion so deal with it. "
7 minutes ago
LB replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Ethan Sanders / BA
"Yeah i agree, Sanders might be in reserves at Canberra but the path to FG is a lot more clearer. Moses and Brown both signed til 2027. Brown could decline the option but Sanders is not wasting a year to see if that happens."
22 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"My Bob and Legend all my big hugs and best wishes in your health journeys xxx"
27 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Ethan Sanders / BA
"2026 or less he will be the number 7 of the raiders.
 "
37 minutes ago
More…