- COVID

- We played the Broncos in round 7

- We won 46-6

- Our spine was

1 - Gutherson

6 - Brown

7 - Moses

9 - Mahoney

- Our side looked arguably stronger than this weeks line up.

- Broncos line up looks strong 'on paper' too. Well it certainly doesnt look terrible.

- We played Cowboys in round 8

- We lost 35-4

- Our spine was

1 - Gutherson

6 - Arthur

7 - Moses

9 - Mahoney

- YES, this was the year Brown was picked in the centres. But I had a looked back and our reserve grade sides had names like Komolafe, Cini, Loizou, and Minhinnick in the backs.... So looking back now I can kind of see why Brad went that way. It's not like any of these names have proven him wrong.

- We had some injuries concerns in our backs at the time and were picking Hayze Perham on the wing. He was getting targetted and manhandled. Seems to have increased his size and strength in more recent years but it hasnt helped him cement a stop at the dogs, so there's that too. Of note Maika Sivo, Tom Opacic, Waqa Blake, Sean Russell, Haze Dunster, and even the then surprisingly reliably 'good' centre Marata Niukore were unavailable. Looking back it made sense to pick the then best reserve grade player and just try to move Brown for a week.

- We played the Broncos in round 8

- We lost 26-16. I think we were completely outplayed though and Broncos looked completely in control of the game from start to finish.

- Our spine was

1- Gutherson

6 - Brown

7 - Moses

9 - Hodgson

- On paper this was probably our best lineup of the year, in terms of injuries and suspensions. The side is arguably much stronger than this weeks line up, considering it contains Harper, Asi, and is missing a halfback.

When you look back at just one game over the last 5 years (i.e. the Darwin game as I have just done) you can kind of see why the "experts" reckon we missed our window. Hopefully not and hopefully we put a big score on against the depleted Redcliffe side. I just cant help but feel this game (in the circumstances) would have been a rare NRL opportunity to win big if we played it at Parramatta. But, now with the heat, no halfback and playing a side expected we are still expected to beat, I wouldnt be surprised if we find a way to lose this one.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• We are 6/9 there, Dolphins are also really depleted. Fullback in game 2 of his NRL career. It can be a be wary of Bennett game, though we should win even without Moses. Our middles are crucial, as is how Talagi is used if he is that impact player through the middle.

• I wouldn't be surprised if it's a close one and Talagi doesn't even get on. Brad just didnt want to pick Tuilagi, who needs a shit tonne of work to do on his defence, and in the heat it was probably a good time to leave a big body back in Sydney anyway.

• I wouldn't be surprised if Tuilagi is still playing with that shoulder injury he suffered against Penrith. Apparently he popped it out and the doc popped it back in. Can't be fully fit with that level of damage.

• It's all down to money why we take a game there. I think we get paid 500K or something like that. I just wish we would stop playing Queensland teams in Darwin who are already used to hot weather. It is almost as daft when South Sydney used to take a home game against North Queensland in Cairns. It makes absolutely no fucking sense whatsoever.

• I'm pretty sure it's $1mil a year put up by the NT government.

• What's the profit on a 15k crowd home match.  ?  

• Nowhere near $1mil.

• Chief is it possible that you are that stupid......????????

• It is weird to see some outlets saying it is a flip of a coin and picking Dolphins to win since we have no Moses. One outlet even said us winning depends on how Moses plays hahaha. I mean we could lose but we should definately be favourites. Dolphins have 5 players out that would walk straight into the starting 13, just nonsense it is flip of a coin at this stage. Plus they mention our Darwin record is poor. Since when is 6/9 poor?

• Thanks for bringing some commonsense into the discussion LB.

This is a miilion dollar game to the club (yes the same amount our front of the jersey sponsor was/is paying), and it should be addressed as a team building exercise. It doesn't hurt our players to get down in the dirt with the locals. The worry about the heat is bullshit. Brisbane based teams have an advantage because they are used to the heat? Have you ever been to Brisbane, for the people that want to go by this? The heat in the Western Suburbs to out past Penrith is worse than any heat we get in Brisbane.

The amount of negativity we have our so called fans on this site generate would be enough to air condition Darwin and the bullshit they come up with we would be able to fertilize the outback......until Michael W let it be known the sponsorship was worth 1m, nobody commented on it..... that is both disingenous and dumb and I find it hard to believe some of the people on this blog, didn't realise that!

10815284466?profile=RESIZE_400x

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Kurupt - Part Time Coach replied to Seraph's discussion JD sacked effective immediately
"Won't happen to arthur, our board is gutless"
22 minutes ago
Space Eel replied to Seraph's discussion JD sacked effective immediately
"Arthur next we can only hope"
47 minutes ago
Snottie Pimpin replied to LB's discussion Tim Mannah on BA
"The fans are really starting to see through his shit now as reinforced by Mannah above . We know he has his cliques in the side and the guys who are completely comfortable earning a living playing under him pretending  to us and themselves they are…"
3 hours ago
Snottie Pimpin replied to LB's discussion Tim Mannah on BA
"It's a little bit of everyone's fault. 
We are blessed over the years to have made some astute purchases in our spine and front row and it kept us amongst the better teams for a number of years. 
The Eels are a very reactive club and Brad Arthur is…"
3 hours ago
More…