What it means to wear the Blue and Gold

Every time I pull on the Eels jersey, I feel a sense of pride.

On Sunday, I’ll do it for the 100th time.

It will mean so much to me.

Knowing how much past players, staff and fans love this club heavily influences me and our playing group.

We don’t want to let them down.

I unexpectedly joined the Eels in 2016 after being shown the door over at Manly.

This Club and Brad gave me an opportunity.

Now five years on, I am doing my best to repay the faith they have shown me.

I just want to do my part for the team and the coaching staff.

To reach this milestone in Blue and Gold is a massive achievement for me, my family and my partner.

It has taken years of hard work, success, disappointment and perseverance through shattering injuries to reach this milestone.

For that, it really do mean a lot to me as a player and a person.

One of my most memorable moments here was running the team out at our new home Bankwest Stadium in Round Six, 2019.

The roar around the stadium; the crowd going nuts was a massive proud moment I’ll never forget.

I’m in a pretty special place right now being captain.

Growing up, I never ever thought I would hold this position.

It’s surreal and I’m honoured every time I get to do it.

Running out on the paddock, giving my absolute all and not letting the boys down, is ultimately what I’m playing for.

It means everything to me to run the boys out each week.

I hate losing and I always have.

I will do anything to win.

That’s how I play the game.

It’s how I’ll play my 100th Eels game.

And it’s how I’ll play until my time is up.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I too blasted him when his contract negotiations were going south for Parra. I refered to him as an ungrateful c*nt since Manly left him on the side of the curb only for the Eels to roll the dice on a player with a badly busted knee saving his career. The fact that it was Manly he wanted to go back to really grinded my gears further.

Didn't rate him at all when he played on the wing, but he showed his quality at centre, 5/8 and now fullback. I agree with most when they say he's never going to be a Teddy or a Turbo but Gutho is what Parra NEEDS as he's a play-maker. When you combine his try assists (11) and line-break assists(13) he's the most effective play-making full back in the comp (Teddy has a total of 20).

• Tbh franky he is not the only eel to do that some of our "greats " have held the club to "ransom" to get more money . Didn't Kenny almost go tigers , Hayne there always talk of going somewhere else contract time and Hindi , man nah and cayless and others got overs for what they did. At end of the day they all have a short career unless they get guaranteed income from club post career they need to get as much as they can 

• The time of his contract saga, had Manly offered him a decent contract i think he would of jumped ship.

Today he bleeds blue and gold, and is top 3 every week.

Come origin time he would make an  awesome number 14, can play anywhere in the spine and fill the 9 if needed.Also anywhere in the backs.

• Well that's it folks - big loss coming.

Is Gutho becoming the new Mannah with these feel good (but look out we ain't going to play) love letters to the fans.

NEVER a good sign when they start blowing hot air up our knickers for that warm fuzzy feeling.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Offside replied to Speech's discussion NRL Charges
"I know I want him suspended and to never play 1st grade again.
A fine is correct but Sivo is a liability and should nor be allowed near 1st grade"
4 minutes ago
Eli Stephens replied to EA's discussion Line up afterthe bye
"1. Gutho 
2. Sivo 
3. Penisini 
4. Harper 
5. Bailey 
6. Sanders
7. Brown 
8. Rcg 
9. Lussick 
10. Paulo 
11. Matto
12. Carty 
13. Hopgood 
14. Hands 
15.  Joe O 
16.  Taulagi 
17.   Moretti "
9 minutes ago
My Bob replied to Eelvangelist's discussion Parramatta 2024 Premiers!
"About as much chance as the son of the fictional God having his second coming

"
11 minutes ago
Eelvangelist replied to Blue Eel's discussion Hidden Truth
"Very good "
25 minutes ago
More…